Order for specific sites in Rome?

nzdisneymom

We are working out our itinerary for a port day in Rome and want to have an idea of what order in which to do the things we'd like to do. We have Rome in Limo picking us up at 8 AM and our all aboard time is 6:30 PM but we want to be back at the port between 4:30 - 5:00. So we know we may not be able to see all the things on our list but wanted to have some "spares" should we find we take less time somewhere than we originally expect. We were thinking to allow 90 minutes travel time from the port to the city (and back).

• Basilica San Clemente (we will need to see this in the morning as it is open from 9:00 - 12:30 and then not again until 15:00 according to their website)
  • Palatine Hill
  • The Forum (we have purchased our tickets already)
  • Circus Maximus - DH wants to actually go there, not just look from afar
  • Mamertine Prison
  • Victor Emmanuel Monument - just to go to the top to see "Rome from the sky" ( http://www.amoitaly.com/roma/vittorio_emanuele.html )
  • Baths of Caracalla - this is the one least on our list

We don't want to take time for a longer meal but do want to have snacks or a light lunch while touring.

So what would you recommend in terms of ordering the sites? If we only have time for two things, we want to see Basilica San Clemente and the Forum (we've already seen the Coliseum (sp? I've seen it several ways)

We appreciate your help.

Almost everything you've listed is within a couple of blocks of everything else so it should be pretty easy to do.

If you start at San Clemente and assume an hour there, you'll be entering Palatine between 10 - 10:30 (I'd do this earlier rather than later, given the hill climb and heat). You exit Palatine right into the Forum so that would be next.

Two hours in these two sites would have you exiting the Forum at 12:30 or so. If you exit at the steps in the northwest corner, near the Arch of Septimius Severus, you'll be right at San Giuseppe dei Falegnami (Mamertine) and a few steps away from the Vittorio Emanuele monument.

If you meet your driver on the via del Teatro di Marcello side of the capital around 2 PM (at the base of the Cordonata, which is worth seeing after the monument ... go first to Piazza del Campidoglio and then walk down the Cordonata) it will be a short, straight shot to Circus Maximus, and then on to the Baths of Caracalla. A quick walk around the entire Circus Maximus site would only take 15 minutes.

Then another 4/10ths of a mile to the Baths of Caracalla puts you there around 2:30 PM.

Leaving the baths for last allows you wiggle room if your day runs long; since you've said it's the least important you could just drop it.

Most of the sites on your list are VERY close to one another, so that works in your favor. There are a couple of different ways you could order things.

Since San Clemente is important to you, I'm going to suggest making sort of a "circle" around the sites you listed, starting there.

1. San Clemente

2. Baths of Caracalla (you may have to drop this; I think you have too much!)

3. Circus Maximus

4. Palatine Hill, leading into Forum

5. Mamertine Prison

6. Victor Emanuel Monument (I could easily skip this, but I'm not into views per se)

I'm not sure when you're going, but unfortunately this leaves you doing the Palatine and Forum in the heat of the day...!

I tried making a Google map that would show the general pathway, I'm not sure it will show that many destinations, but here goes:

https://maps.google.com.br/maps?saddr=Church+of+San+Clemente&daddr=Thermae+of+Caracalla,+Rome,+Italy+to:Circo+Massimo,+Rome,+Province+of+Rome,+Italy+to:Foro+Romano,+Rome,+Province+of+Rome,+Ital y+to:Carcere+Mamertino,+Rome,+Province+of+Rome,+Italy+to:Vittorio+Emmanuele+Monument,+Piazza+Venezia,+Rome,+Province+of+Rome,+Italy&hl=en&sll=41.887966,12.492399&sspn=0.017572,0.027466&geocode=FdItfwIdKrK-ACFRsSFt5jjhlynpXX5NuGEvEzFRsSFt5jjhlw%3BFegJfwIddZ--ACHcmFvqBkArainVhT4zzmEvEzHcmFvqBkArag%3BFWwjfwIdToC-ACGV7R2-GyOQMinZq4_2Z2AvEzGV7R2-GyOQMg%3BFUM6fwIdzoK-ACHmfezAB0CR-invzamDs2EvEzHmfezAB0CR-g%3BFeg-fwId0H--ACF9UyhUPjdQmimFP-hrs2EvEzF9UyhUPjdQmg%3BFb5CfwIdIXq-ACHhP7inB0gVISnjXYAbTWAvEzHhP7inB0gVIQ&oq=Vitt&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

Thanks much to both of you for the info on order, times, and even the map!

We live in FL and are used to Florida summer heat, and we were in Rome in July 2007 for a day so as long as the AC is working in the car for the ride back to the port, we'll be sure to stay hydrated and deal with the heat. I remember one of our boys refilling his water bottle from a drinking fountain on the street and the water was so cold coming up.

• 3 months later...

I am following up on the questions I asked while we were planning our trip!

We are working out our itinerary for a port day in Rome and want to have an idea of what order in which to do the things we'd like to do. We have Rome in Limo picking us up at 8 AM and our all aboard time is 6:30 PM but we want to be back at the port between 4:30 - 5:00. So we know we may not be able to see all the things on our list but wanted to have some "spares" should we find we take less time somewhere than we originally expect. We were thinking to allow 90 minutes travel time from the port to the city (and back).

• Basilica San Clemente (we will need to see this in the morning as it is open from 9:00 - 12:30 and then not again until 15:00 according to their website)
  • Palatine Hill

• The Forum (we have purchased our tickets already)
  • Circus Maximus - DH wants to actually go there, not just look from afar
  • Mamertine Prison
  • Victor Emmanuel Monument - just to go to the top to see "Rome from the sky" (http://www.amoitaly.com/roma/vittorio_emanuele.html )
  • Baths of Caracalla - this is the one least on our list

We don't want to take time for a longer meal but do want to have snacks or a light lunch while touring.

So what would you recommend in terms of ordering the sites? If we only have time for two things, we want to see Basilica San Clemente and the Forum (we've already seen the Coliseum (sp? I've seen it several ways)

We appreciate your help.

Here's what we did (we used Rome in Limo, our driver was Mike):

1. Basilica San Clemente - we arrived by 9:30 AM

2. The Forum - we were here until 11:45 AM

3. Mamertine Prison - this took about 1/2 hour from ticket purchase to exit

4. Lunch at a place near the UN building that our driver arranged for us - delicious!

5. Circus Maximus

6. Places that our driver wanted us to see since we still had plenty of time before we wanted to be back at the ship including a place where you look through a keyhole - I just googled it - it's on Aventine Hill (link to TripAdvisor). Also a panoramic view of Rome from Colle del Gianicolo. And there was one place where you start at the end of the street and see the Vatican which is large, but as you go closer, it gets smaller.

It's really great when people take the time to come back and report on how their planning worked out.

Sounds like you had a good day!

I was in Rome in early May and really enjoyed the Baths of Caracalla, so keep them on your list for a future visit....;)

Archived