Anything to do for a while before a flight out of FLL?

febtober

Ahoy all!

So I'm taking the NCL Epic on a 7 day cruise out of Miami on April 6th, returning April 13th. I will be flying in and out of FLL and will be traveling by myself. The Epic arrives back at Miami at 8am, however my return flight home isn't until 8:30 that evening.

I'd love to take some time and hit up Miami beach for the afternoon, but of course I'll be hauling around my luggage (carry on plus one larger checked suitcase). I doubt there's any sort of luggage sortage area on Dodge Island.

If nothing else, I'll take the SAS Shuttle (I've seen nothing but great reviews of them on here and other websites) back to the Hilton hotel by the FLL airport, where I'll be staying the night before the cruise leaves, and have a long lunch with a few drinks, although it'd be nice to be able to see the beach, but I think my luggage will be largest logistical hurdle for that.

Any other suggestions?

There is luggage storage available at the FLL airport (you can't check your bags in until about 4 hours prior to departure :(), then you could cab or bus to the beach.

You might look at renting a car one-way from Miami to FLL (Hertz in downtown Miami offers free shuttles; National, Alamo & thrifty offer free shuttles to their MIA airport location), put the bags in the trunk and then go where you want until it is time for your flight.

Good luck! :)

Good advice, although I just found out that I can purchase a one day pass to United's lounge at the FLL airport for $50. Since I'm going to be there all day, I can hang out and drink/eat/waste time in comfort before the flight. I'll likely end up doing this.

There is literally nothing to do at the airport. It's not like MIA loaded with shopping, restaurants and people watching. Unless you really enjoy just sitting for hours before sitting again on your plane, I'd use that $50 , head to a hotel on the beach, tip to have your bags watched while you have a meal, drinks and then head out to do anything other than sitting in an airport.;)

Good advice, although I just found out that I can purchase a one day pass to United's lounge at the FLL airport for $50. Since I'm going to be there all day, I can hang out and drink/eat/waste time in comfort before the flight. I'll likely end up doing this.

My husband flies out of FLL almost weekly on United and uses their lounge (and since he is at the top of United's frequent flyer program, he's used their lounges all over the world) and I asked his opinion. "It's nice enough for a few hours but for an entire day? Why do that when he/she can visit the sites in Fort Lauderdale?"

Are you totally set on hanging out at the beach? What about taking the ship's post-cruise tour to the Florida Everglades? That way, they'll take care of your luggage for you and you'll get to see a pretty cool area of the state, and some alligators at the same time. :confused: When it's over, they'll take you to the airport. Just a thought!

Are you totally set on hanging out at the beach? What about taking the ship's post-cruise tour to the Florida Everglades? That way, they'll take care of your luggage for you and you'll get to see a pretty cool area of the state, and some alligators at the same time. :confused: When it's over, they'll take you to the airport. Just a thought!

Problem here is the excursion will have the OP back at the hotel by 1:00. Now what?:(

agree with others. SPend the $50 on a rental car for the day and do what you want. Or if you are not comfortable about driving yourself. Take the shuttle back to FLL and store the luggage and do the water taxi for the day. $20 for all day and you can get on and off at several beach locations, shopping areas, bars, restaurants, etc. Or just stay on for the entire trip and consider it a great tour.

Either way I don't know why anyone would want to spend $50 to sit in a room al day while in sunny Florida. No matter how comfortable the room is, I would rather be outside!!

Travlgirl -- do you know if this excursion takes us to Shark Valley entrance to the Everglades National Park? We are birdwstchers and will take this spot off our private pre-cruise itinerary if so. We don't need to duplicate our efforts.

Travlgirl -- do you know if this excursion takes us to Shark Valley entrance to the Everglades National Park? We are birdwstchers and will take this spot off our private pre-cruise itinerary if so. We don't need to duplicate our efforts.

No, the Everglades Holiday Park is where the ship's excursion goes. It's right outside of Ft. Lauderdale. Shark Valley is further south, west of Miami. Shark Valley is another great way to spend the day!

agree with others. SPend the $50 on a rental car for the day and do what you want. Or if you are not comfortable about driving yourself. Take the shuttle back to FLL and store the luggage and do the water taxi for the day. $20 for all day and you can get on and off at several beach locations, shopping areas, bars, restaurants, etc. Or just stay on for the entire trip and consider it a great tour.

Either way I don't know why anyone would want to spend $50 to sit in a room al day while in sunny Florida. No matter how comfortable the room is, I would rather be outside!!

Oh cool, the water taxi sounds like a lot of fun - I'll definitely be looking into that, that might be a winner :)

We just did the "Store bags at FLL ($6 per bag) and rent a car" thing yesterday afternoon. Got a compact for $40, drove to the beach. $10 valet parking, $50 lunch & ice cream for 5. Still the cheapest shore excursion of the trip!

Beach areas were busy--it was Easter Sunday.

The luggage lady at FLL was really nice--the situation is secure & convenient. We were at the Delta terminal, I suppose they have them at the other terminals as well.

We just did the "Store bags at FLL ($6 per bag) and rent a car" thing yesterday afternoon. Got a compact for $40, drove to the beach. $10 valet parking, $50 lunch & ice cream for 5. Still the cheapest shore excursion of the trip!

Beach areas were busy--it was Easter Sunday.

The luggage lady at FLL was really nice--the situation is secure & convenient. We were at the Delta terminal, I suppose they have them at the other terminals as well.

Thank you for offering that very recent info as it is often asked about here!!!

Maybe you could start a new thread entitled..."Storing bags at FLL for late flights possible"! It would get lots of looks! And you might get more questions on the procedure.

Archived