BEST sled dog experience for 9 y/o boys?

UKDG

We're cruising on the Disney Wonder at the end of May with our nine year old twin boys who are big animal lovers.

The Disney exclusive "glacier dog musher for a day" experience is sold out, not that it was in our budget anyway at $709 for adults and $500 for kids (yikes!).

In your opinion, of the sled dog experiences available from private companies in Skagway and Juneau, which would be the best for 9 y/o boys?

The Juneau and Skagway, cart ride tours, have been totally ship contracted in the past. There are also fly in glacier tours, booked independent, are cheaper than Disney. There is a drive to option in Carcross, Yukon also available.

Doesn't matter where it's done. It may be better to figure out all your port plans, then schedule this where it fits best.

Are you looking for glacier fly-in dogsled tours (helicopter to a glacier with dogsled, usually several hundred dollars/person) or are you interested in a dogcart experience (travel by land and pulled in a converted golfcart, significantly cheaper excursion)? That's probably the first decision to make. Both types of tours are offerred in Skagway and Juneau as well as in other towns if you are doing a land portion after your cruise.

We went on the Skagway Sled Dog and Musher's Camp Excursion through Princess last year and booked through the cruiseline since the timing was better. Looks like Disney has the same excursion: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/skagway-alaska/mushers-camp-and-sled-dog-experience/

https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/site/excursion/sleddog_sk

We really enjoyed it, and I think your boys likely would as well. Basically, the excursion started off with a drive to the site. Then we went up the hill in a big 4 wheel drive unimog vehicle, next a ride on the converted golf cart pulled by the team of dogs, a stop to pat the dogs pulling us and for them to rest, another ride, then back down the hill on the unimog - stopped at a viewing area to lookout over the valley, down to the bottom where we heard about the iditarod and dogsled racing in general, then time to hold the puppies. There were lots of kids on the excursion, and both kids and adults seemed to have a great time. They also broke us into reasonable sized groups, so even though it was a ship excursion, it was really well done.

I'm sure the glacier experience is incredible, but if it's not in your budget or afraid of flying, the land based one was really fun.

We're cruising on the Disney Wonder at the end of May with our nine year old twin boys who are big animal lovers.

The Disney exclusive "glacier dog musher for a day" experience is sold out, not that it was in our budget anyway at $709 for adults and $500 for kids (yikes!).

In your opinion, of the sled dog experiences available from private companies in Skagway and Juneau, which would be the best for 9 y/o boys?

I am taking my 6 year old grandson on a Coastal helicopter to the glacier and then dog sled ride. It is $499 per person regardless of the age however. Not cheap and one of the most cancelled excursions in Alaska due to fog and poor visibility and the helicopter not being able to fly so you would need to have a back up plan. That is in Juneau. But there are also numerous sled dog excursions not nearly as expensive and they give a talk about the care and training of the sled dogs, and then you go on a wheeled cart through the woods with the sled dogs and then at the end they give you hot chocolate and you can visit the "nursery" and hold the puppies. I think when I did this three years ago it was around $100 or so. It is not quite as nice as the one on the glacier, but then it is also not so exorbitant in price either! It still was fun and interesting and the boys would love it regardless. There are only two of us so $1000 is ok but for four of you would be quite costly I would guess.

Are you looking for glacier fly-in dogsled tours (helicopter to a glacier with dogsled, usually several hundred dollars/person) or are you interested in a dogcart experience (travel by land and pulled in a converted golfcart, significantly cheaper excursion)? That's probably the first decision to make.

That's pretty much my question... if our priority is learning about the dogs, seeing their camp, and holding/petting the dogs, which is better? Are the dog cart experiences good or more of a joke? I see reviews going both ways and need help translating in terms of a nine-year-old boy who hugs & cuddles every dog & cat he meets.

DH & I did the helicopter & glacier walk when we were on the Infinity a few years ago. We're not afraid of flying and I don't think either of the boys will be, I never know... If the glacier fly-in experience with the dogs is significantly better, I can try to choke down the fact that it will cost the same as our flights from home to Vancouver did.

On the other hand, if I can take them on the city bus to see Mendenhall, on a whale watching boat, and on the land-based dog cart experience in either Juneau or Skagway and still have money left over for other experiences, well, that just makes more sense.

That's pretty much my question... if our priority is learning about the dogs, seeing their camp, and holding/petting the dogs, which is better? Are the dog cart experiences good or more of a joke? I see reviews going both ways and need help translating in terms of a nine-year-old boy who hugs & cuddles every dog & cat he meets.

DH & I did the helicopter & glacier walk when we were on the Infinity a few years ago. We're not afraid of flying and I don't think either of the boys will be, I never know... If the glacier fly-in experience with the dogs is significantly better, I can try to choke down the fact that it will cost the same as our flights from home to Vancouver did.

On the other hand, if I can take them on the city bus to see Mendenhall, on a whale watching boat, and on the land-based dog cart experience in either Juneau or Skagway and still have money left over for other experiences, well, that just makes more sense.

By far the fly in is more real. Gets consistent rave reviews. Have you asked the kids?? This may need to be more thought out, especially if it would involve eliminating another tour due to funds.

You may also want to prepare for a reality check on the big differences between a "pet" and working dogs. They will be tethered to a house with a short chain. Not always the cleanest. :) Their appearance will NOT be what most people expect, some Alaska sled dogs are darn ugly. :)

Are you going to Seward?, mainland Alaska? A lot of sled dog touring available.

I know in Skagway- the land tour, used to be $30 when I took my kids. :) This was available as a drive up. This "camp" was created for summer tourists only. This may be the case for both cruiseship tours now.

Archived