Delta Skymiles question

irish cailin

Can anyone tell me out there if we can claim airmiles on our upcoming cruise (PH1 on coastal Alaska 7/5)

looking on Delta website, Oceania is listed as preferred partner and offers airmiles on bookings made with them but i have mailed Delta and have been told to contact company direct!

Have sent a mail to customer service in Oceania, but know someone here will probably come back to me quicker!!!

TIA

ash

We've always been able to add our Skymiles numbers to the Oceania Air bookings on Delta and get credit for the miles flown. We then got the Skymiles credit cards and substantial mileage awards.

That said, Delta has been becoming more and more difficult to actually use the miles because they have high mileage requirements. We're flying Business Class to Copenhagen using AA miles for about half of what Delta wanted for coach. We've just about used up our Delta miles on a couple of flights this year, and are no longer actively trying to build them back up. I'll probably drop the credit cards when the next annual fee comes around.

I could be wrong, but I think it depends what fare code you are booked in. There are some consolidator fares that do not qualify. But, I am not sure which ones are/are not eligible for miles.

OP did you book your flights directly with Delta, or are you booked on Delta via Oceania Air?

If the latter, note that last September Delta changed mileage earning rules on what they consider "unpublished" fares.

From their website:

Effective September 1, 2012, a small number of special fares (often referred to as “unpublished fares”) now earn miles at a reduced rate. Unpublished fares are normally purchased through a specialized agent, third party or to a group.

"Flights included as part of a cruise package" are included in this category. As others said, however, Oceania should be able to confirm if this applies to your booking.

More details including % of miles earned per fare code for these types of fares on the website:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/earn-miles/earn-miles-with-special-fares.html

As the OP said, I do see information on delta.com about purchasing Oceania cruises via Delta. However I don't know if the offers there would be comparable to DL flights booked via Oceania. The OP should confirm this with Oceania.

On note a recent study done by frequent Flyer mag came of with some very telling numbers as to how often you could get a seat on some airlines.

UAL.... 95% domestic 89% international

AA......70% domestic 50% international

Delta 50% domestic 8% international

These numbers are from memory but are pretty close I tossed my Delta card because you could never get a seat, they charged twice the mileage of any other airline for a trip.

As a million miler on Delta and someone who has gotten many low mileage business class seats (100k miles RT) to Europe and elsewhere on Delta, I can tell you that you can get low mileage seats if you know how to play the Delta game. Granted, it can be difficult but it can be done. In fact, we are flying Business Elite RT Istanbul on Delta this August.

First, fly a partner, not Delta. There is tons of availability on Air France and KLM eg. We just flew LAX - SYD/ AUCK LAX using Virgin Australia (best business class I have ever experienced) and Korean Air (low mileage tickets)

Book 331 days out. One of the reasons I book cruises on the day the itineraries come out is to be sure I know my plans when the 331 day window opens.

Having said that, I have been accumulating miles on United because it does have the best availability worldwide and a great alliance for partner air travel. Also, United allows one way bookings -- Delta still does not. I still have plenty of Delta miles left and I am confident I will be able to use them.

I am an aficionado of The Points Guy and regularly "churn" credit cards to get miles -- we have been able to travel internationally in business class 3 times a year for the past 5 years (including, Asia, Africa and South America). 15 trips! That's a lot of miles!! Many of them came from credit card bonuses -- e.g. 100k miles each for getting a British Airways CC. We are flying RT Dubai in Business class. Cost us only 95 a year in annual fee (first year fee waived). I could go on -- I won't. That's what the Points Guy is all about.

If you do not subscribe to the Points Guy, I highly recommend it. You will learn a great deal about how to fly for free!!!!

If we ever cruise together, talk to me about the mileage game. One of my favorite subjects. I've taught my friends how to play.

Book 331 days out. One of the reasons I book cruises on the day the itineraries come out is to be sure I know my plans when the 331 day window opens.

Having said that, I have been accumulating miles on United because it does have the best availability worldwide and a great alliance for partner air travel. Also, United allows one way bookings -- Delta still does not. I still have plenty of Delta miles left and I am confident I will be able to use them.

If we ever cruise together, talk to me about the mileage game. One of my favorite subjects. I've taught my friends how to play.

Flyer Talk is also a great site to get clues as to how the system works. It is free. I am a UA 2MM (soon 3MM). Ever since my company stopped allowing Business class travel on long flights -- I have learned how to play the upgrade game and cheap business seats for price of coach -- so Laraine we can compare notes.

UA has changed quite a bit and many see less Business/1st saver awards being offered at the 331 day point especially to many popular destinations. Had trouble doing that for my upcoming trip to Buenos Aires (zero availability) - but was able to get RT Business for 2K pp. So rather than offer these seats for free they are discounting them.

We will see how it goes for our Oceania Viking Cruise.

We are cut from the same cloth my friends. Paul/Pacheco... would love to talk. I have been playing the game since 81' and cant sleep when my account is below 700K.

UAL has a new game...It used to be" hammer" the res 331 but they caught on to that. Now you start checking 330 days out but sit it out for about 7 to 14 days after the 331 opening. Then, suddenly for about 3 day period they opened the" savers" in first before going back to the regular.

Also I frequently change airports and fly to a more mainline hub where more flights and better seats are available

example: rather then KOA I hop over to HNL Rather than LHR a zip over to CDG and transfer to FRA. By paying a cheap train or commuter I can find dozens of seats at saver rate.

Also UAL is now switching to a lot of 737's because they only have 1/2 to 1/3 the first class seats for free up's and even less for award. Too, their cut in economy Plus.. No more row 7 and 9 jr first as on 757. Our local service in KOA is now pretty much all 737.

Now, airlines are one thing but do not forget the hotel cards. Marriott will give 50,000 points if you sign up plus elite status and a free hotel night every year all for $95. Do that separate for spouse and you have 100,000 points good for 4 free nights+ the 2 for sign up and that's a week free in a Marriott class 4-5 anywhere in the world... worth a good $1500 to $2000 a year

Then there are the brokerages Ameritrade and Fidelity will pop you a cool 25,000 to 50,000 each for just opening an account of$ 50k or more and holding it for 6 mos.

The world can be your oyster.....:cool::D

Think the new game in UA has to do with their Shares system. They do not load the seat maps 7 to 14 days after they load the flights. But it its an interesting theory.

737's are CO's planes and some only have 12 FC seats. The problem is that UA is using more 757 ERs for their international flights from IAD and EWR to Amsterdam, Madrid, Belgium and LHR. These, while having pseudo lie flats, have limited number of seats in Business/1st and makes upgrades and saver awards difficult

Dan -- understand your crying at 700K -- my account is down to 400K and has not moved up in a years time.

As far as Delta is concerned -- Oceania books a lot of their flights as V and W on Delta so mileage accrual is possible but upgrades using miles is not.

Archived