Best tipping method?

arkansasboy

We usually remove the auto tips as we feel that the money is not distributed to the right places.

I do not like the fact that Carnival charges full tip price for my young kids that spend most of their time in Camp Carnival.

The people that work there do not see the tips.

Last cruise my one daughter ate in the dining room only once. Is it fair that dining staff gets her tip?

We tip in cash at the end of the cruise. I like to decide where my money goes.

So you either never eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch or you tip them out at service? You also must also immediately tip the wait staff that serves your daughter? And your daughter must not eat in Came Carnival? Part of the auto too goes to those who work breakfast, lunch, brunch, tea and all the Lido places.

Oh I know waiters and waitresses share their tips. I have been there done that and wil never work such a field again. I would rather live in a tent and eat squirrels and birds before working that industry again.

I am good with the 11.50 a day. Made it pretty clear I thought. Now about them saving $80 per person? Sadly no. whats bad is they werent thinking per person, they were thinking for all 4 of them. $84 for the 4 in savings. LOL. I explained the $5+ thats goes to food staff that includes buffets. We argued back and forth about how much $ do folks usually leave at buffets and such and at best they are over paying a whopping $2 pp per day.

As far as them shouldnt be cruising? The money isnt an issue, I paid for half their cruise. They can afford it on thier own and are fairly well off. Way better than me. Some folks , especially some who are doign real well financially are some of the biggest penny pinchers ever. These are some of them. They can afford it no problems. They are just a PITA about EVERYTHING concerning money.

Some of us in that bad "industry" dont have to live in tents we have nice homes and rental properties ;)

Some of us in that bad "industry" dont have to live in tents we have nice homes and rental properties ;)

I am sure. I lived in a pretty nice condo at the time as well. I was saying that I would rather do that than work that industry again. I hated it with a passion. I would rather skip working that industry and live off the land as a hermit before doing it again lol. Because of my experience and hatred of it, I am a sympathetic and generous tipper.

I am sure. I lived in a pretty nice condo at the time as well. I was saying that I would rather do that than work that industry again. I hated it with a passion. I would rather skip working that industry and live off the land as a hermit before doing it again lol. Because of my experience and hatred of it, I am a sympathetic and generous tipper.

Ahh gotcha.

Im different I guess ,I like not getting the same paycheck week by week and having good nights (and bad ones sometimes too)

I do not like the fact that Carnival charges full tip price for my young kids that spend most of their time in Camp Carnival.

Haha, really? Camp Carnival employees are on salary. Their pay is not dependent on tips.

Make sure you tell your room steward when you board about this. That way he can only clean half of your room.

I do believe that IF you (not you specifically) were going to remove the tips, and you were going to go to MDR on the last night, you should have waited until AFTER dinner to remove the tips. This is why the guest services line is usually so long on the last evening. I've seen the line on every cruise we've been on. I know that's what the people are probably doing.

One of our cruise/table mates was especially unhappy with the service, and purposefully removed tips beforehand so that "they'd know it was her". Problem is, I'm not sure the waitstaff knew exactly who it was. There were 12 of us at the table.

They weren't the only ones who removed tips on the last day. We were on the Empress deck around the corner from guest services and that last day the line stayed long for the majority of the day, figured it was folks removing tips.

Would you give great service for 1/3 or 50% of your paycheck that you expect to get next week and do not get and actually know why and who !!

So because everybody at the table didn't do the right thing, those who did do the right thing have to suffer? AND a person who felt they didn't get sufficient service should still tip? There's something seriously wrong with that logic. Not everybody is going to be that generous.

So because everybody at the table didn't do the right thing, those who did do the right thing have to suffer? AND a person who felt they didn't get sufficient service should still tip? There's something seriously wrong with that logic. Not everybody is going to be that generous.

Let me understand this .Some people at the table had good service and others at the same table didnt LOL !!! Some people are just plain CHEAP.... it is what it is

I have been on alot of cruises and have had good service on every one !!!

Im even more critical because I am in the hospitality industry

One of our cruise/table mates was especially unhappy with the service, and purposefully removed tips beforehand so that "they'd know it was her". Problem is, I'm not sure the waitstaff knew exactly who it was. There were 12 of us at the table.

They weren't the only ones who removed tips on the last day. We were on the Empress deck around the corner from guest services and that last day the line stayed long for the majority of the day, figured it was folks removing tips.

So thats great logic .Lets see ,I take my tips off and hope the staff knows its me and expect my table to get great service!!!! Really LOL

Since we are new to cruising I am wondering which is the best way to take of tips. I have thought about paying it up front so I dont have to worry about it later. Any ideas?

Tips are tips I leave them alone to auto deduct. But first day meeting your Cabin staff I give each $100 and at the MDR I give $50 each. Why tip at the end you wont get extra service for it.. Tip the first day they will bendover backwards for you & family....

If you can't afford $11.50 per day in tips then your probably shouldn't be on a cruise. Not tipping is despicable.

Exactly, when you figure the cost of a cruise, factor in the tips. If its to much, don't go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally dont comment much anymore on tipping threads because I have worked for tips my whole life and you can never change CHEAP.With that being said alot of the people who comment about tipping does not care when their room steward sleeps or how their wait staff not only works the dining room but also other venues as well like the lido buffet area.Alot of selfish people in the world!! What alot of people do see is that if they remove the auto grats this will get them more drinks of the day or a few pictures at the expense of hard working staff that is away from their family for months at a time making our vacation wonderful.Most people just dont care .Its sad that their arent more people like us ;)

I've prepaid on two of my chartered cruises and one of my own booked cruises. I'm planning on prepaying this cruise as I really want to reduce the amount of activity on my card with being international. I guess the good thing is I can always access computer Internet if need be for checking for unauthorized purchases. I just like knowing stuff is taken care of before I go!

Let me understand this .Some people at the table had good service and others at the same table didnt LOL !!! Some people are just plain CHEAP.... it is what it is

I have been on alot of cruises and have had good service on every one !!!

Im even more critical because I am in the hospitality industry

I can only speak for us - we had no problems with our service, but someone we cruised with did. It's great that you had good service every time, but some folks are harder to please for one reason or another - or some folks just may not receive good service plain and simple. It does happen!

You're right, she could've been just plain cheap. She was a friend of my cousin who we cruised with for her birthday, and we steered clear of her friend for the most part. But we weren't just plain cheap and unfortunately got lumped into that group anyway. Didn't spoil our cruise at all, it is what it is.

So thats great logic .Lets see ,I take my tips off and hope the staff knows its me and expect my table to get great service!!!! Really LOL

But it is great logic (and a great way to hold onto your tips) to give everyone at the table bad service even though some of us did tip? The rest of us didn't deserve that, but oh well, right? Like I said it didn't ruin or cruise, or stop us from tipping.

Edited to say in this case we were unfamiliar with our tablemates (friends of a cousin we cruised with that we met for the first time on that cruise) and based on our weeklong interaction, not people we'd want to vacation with in the future. But what happens when strangers get stuck at a table with a group of people who aren't tippers or just plain cheap? Guess they're just SOL too, huh LOL!

If you can't afford $11.50 per day in tips then your probably shouldn't be on a cruise. Not tipping is despicable.

Exactly what I was going to post... The staff bends over backwards for the guests and I wish I new the staff got more thats why its best to hand them cash

Exactly, when you figure the cost of a cruise, factor in the tips. If its to much, don't go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tip, always. I have never removed the tips. As a matter of fact, I prepaid mine for my cruise that leaves in 18 days. :D BUT I admit seeing it as a lump sum can be a little bit daunting. For the three of us (one of whom is 2), its over $240 for a 7 day cruise. But I know they deserve it and work hard so I just pay them. And yes, I know that they do a lot for my two year old and she should tip as well. And WE DO.

This is why I prefer prepay them, so I can pay it and then forget about it altogether as seeing that $240+ on my sign and sale bill is enough to stress me- thinking about money on my vacation (the horror:eek:). I wish they would just include it in the cruise fare. Then I wouldn't have to think about it at all.

I think for some people its a psychological thing. Kind of like how if I just used cash and stopped using my stupid debit card, I would spend a whole lot less money. Because I am more aware of it. Even though its the same money. LOL. (Yep I know, I am weird).

I'm still confused about the tipping policy. We usually keep the auto tips on our account, preferring that to handing out envelopes on the last night, and because the cruiseline allocates part of the tipping money to the behind-the -scenes staff. For the past couple of cruises I have tipped the cabin stewart 20 bucks on the first day to get off to a good start, but for some reason I don't follow this same practice in the dining room on the first night.

I was told on our last cruise that the cabin stewart has a responsibility to share his/her cash tips with other support personnel in the area. I'm not sure who these other people are other than the assistant cabin stewart. Could be the housekeeping staff.

Same policy in the dining room I'm told. If you give the headwaiter a cash tip, he/she should share it with others. If cash is given to all of the wait team does that mean they put it one pot and divide it based on some formula? And what about the servers in the Lido? Does anyone ever give them cash?

I'm still confused about the tipping policy. We usually keep the auto tips on our account, preferring that to handing out envelopes on the last night, and because the cruiseline allocates part of the tipping money to the behind-the -scenes staff. For the past couple of cruises I have tipped the cabin stewart 20 bucks on the first day to get off to a good start, but for some reason I don't follow this same practice in the dining room on the first night.

I was told on our last cruise that the cabin stewart has a responsibility to share his/her cash tips with other support personnel in the area. I'm not sure who these other people are other than the assistant cabin stewart. Could be the housekeeping staff.

Same policy in the dining room I'm told. If you give the headwaiter a cash tip, he/she should share it with others. If cash is given to all of the wait team does that mean they put it one pot and divide it based on some formula? And what about the servers in the Lido? Does anyone ever give them cash?

Lido servers get a tip for drinks sold.

This is always the way to go.....Works everytime .....

I completely agree with this but I tip 1/2 the amount I'm alloting extra on the "front side". I want them to know how much their service is appreciated and that I'm willing to do a little extra for it. I'm not talking about a huge sum - maybe $25 on a 7-day - before and after plus the ship recommended amount. I think it guarantees special service - from my room steward (ice bucket always filled - fresh towels always available - both w/out prompting) and a favorite waiter or bartender -- if you have a special place to hang out that has the same staff all the time -- pool area, perhaps, with the same circulating waiters everyday. You'll always be asked before your glass is empty and they will know what you want and how quickly you want it after a day or so - and greet you VERY warmly when you arrive! It works like a charm for us. I never received bad service on any ship without doing this - but I do believe that it 'steps it up' just a bit when you do.:)

That's your opinion. In my opinion, tipping for poor service is despicable. Since it's my money, I get to make the decision, not you.

Good for you. Take a stand. You must be Pastor Alois Bell

1aloisreceipt.jpg

We usually remove the auto tips as we feel that the money is not distributed to the right places.

Last cruise my one daughter ate in the dining room only once. Is it fair that dining staff gets her tip?

We tip in cash at the end of the cruise. I like to decide where my money goes.

A majority of the MDR staff also do double duty in the buffet area..bussing tables, etc. If Camp Carnival hosts a meal in the buffet area, wait staff on duty clean that up too.

Your kids never ate breakfast, lunch or dinners outside of Camp Carnival?

Archived