What will you do ?

What will you Do ?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What will you Do ?

• Cruise with Thomsons as normal ?
    • Cruise With other companys more due to this change ?
    • Not sure . See how it goes first .

alcpolicy1.jpg

heres the shocking evidence from cruise news:mad:....this happened suddenly in my second week....first week I purchased my usual bottle of bacardi for my cabin no probs, second week it was confiscated!!.....yep! it was that sudden

yep they do also confiscate duty free purchased on the flight...there was a que at the gangway most days of people having their purchases unwrapped, inspected and confiscated (even a bottle of maple syrup in my case??)

Doh! what are you doing Thoms?....do you really want to go down this route?

Thoms have said (quote) they are doing this to align themselves with other cruise lines alcohol policy (s).....pity they couldn't also align themselves with: .......other cruise lines policys..... loyalty scheme policy(s)....free in cabin safes....free cabin reservations....free room service....free upgrades....good websites...free laundry...new ships...balconies etc etc

well!.....so long Thoms....there is so much more available 'out there' (to quote a line from another well known cruise line/competitor)

Good to have you back Geo:D

You do realise you have broken Thomsons secret act :rolleyes:

we should not know until we board the ship . (Ooops )

When they say align with other cruiselines does that mean we will be boarding newer ships as they take things away from passengers ??

Will people hit back and black list the Thomson shops and buy from airports on the way home ? Who knows :confused:

Will you Stick with Thomsons ?

Will you now try or use other lines more ?

Or are you not bothered by the recent change ?

Theres only one way to find out .. POLL :eek:

I voted for Cruise with other companies. Not necessarily because of the duty free change as such, but more because of the changes over the past year or so (or lack of in some areas).

With the change in AI, disappointing Platinum upgrade, decrease in baggage allowance, Majesty and Destiny swap (at such short notice), and bad communication, I'm starting to lose my faith in Thomson, and for next year, I'm starting to look elsewhere. I would give Thomson some credit and look past these changes if it meant the prices were lower, but now they're almost the same as all the major cruise lines, in some cases more expensive.

The other problem is I've done the majority of the itineraries (or the ones that interest me the most) with Thomson now, and I'm looking for something different, different cruise durations etc. Also, I hoped by now they might have begun to properly update the fleet, but it seems not. Also, a loyalty scheme is a must!!!!!

But, I still do love the atmosphere onboard the ships, the entertainment, the fact that everything to do with your holiday from beginning to end is with Thomson so you know that if anything goes wrong, you'll be OK. Also, having tips included is a big plus, and the staff are unbeatable when it comes to service. They really are fantastic and, IMO, the biggest asset Thomson have.

However, I think with the recent changes and penny-pinching that seems to be getting worse, I am looking elsewhere for 2014. I'm not saying I'm definitely no longer cruising with Thomson, far from it. I most certainly will be looking at what they're offering next year! I will just be looking more at what else there is to offer, and more than likely will 'jump ship' to someone else next year, most likely either P&O or Celebrity.

Please Thomson, restore our faith in your product! I'm a loyal Thomson cruiser, have been for over 10 years! But I have to say, I'm losing confidence in you as a cruise line. Please regain this, and quickly!

I voted for Cruise with other companies. Not necessarily because of the duty free change as such, but more because of the changes over the past year or so (or lack of in some areas).

With the change in AI, disappointing Platinum upgrade, decrease in baggage allowance, Majesty and Destiny swap (at such short notice), and bad communication, I'm starting to lose my faith in Thomson, and for next year, I'm starting to look elsewhere. I would give Thomson some credit and look past these changes if it meant the prices were lower, but now they're almost the same as all the major cruise lines, in some cases more expensive.

The other problem is I've done the majority of the itineraries (or the ones that interest me the most) with Thomson now, and I'm looking for something different, different cruise durations etc. Also, I hoped by now they might have begun to properly update the fleet, but it seems not. Also, a loyalty scheme is a must!!!!!

But, I still do love the atmosphere onboard the ships, the entertainment, the fact that everything to do with your holiday from beginning to end is with Thomson so you know that if anything goes wrong, you'll be OK. Also, having tips included is a big plus, and the staff are unbeatable when it comes to service. They really are fantastic and, IMO, the biggest asset Thomson have.

However, I think with the recent changes and penny-pinching that seems to be getting worse, I am looking elsewhere for 2014. I'm not saying I'm definitely no longer cruising with Thomson, far from it. I most certainly will be looking at what they're offering next year! I will just be looking more at what else there is to offer, and more than likely will 'jump ship' to someone else next year, most likely either P&O or Celebrity.

Please Thomson, restore our faith in your product! I'm a loyal Thomson cruiser, have been for over 10 years! But I have to say, I'm losing confidence in you as a cruise line. Please regain this, and quickly!

Ditto - you have said exactly what I would have said too Sailaway. And I can't tell you how disappointed it makes me feel that I'm even thinking this way. It's not just this issue (it's irrelevant to me actually as we don't usually buy drink for the cabin) but it's the way the 'product' is changing and the fact that I begin to feel our loyalty is being taken for granted!

I'lll reserve judgement but am trying P&O this year - we'll see! But you can rest assured I'll let you know how it compares in our opinion! ;)

I have actually voted for 'Wait and See' based on what the new itineraries look like, our experience with P&O and pricing.

I know how you feel Sailaway , a lot of our sentiments are in what you written in your post.

We have over the last two years had our Thomson New Year cruise booked and cabin chosen by now but as yet we

have not this year.

We are still looking but as you say the onboard experiece surrounded by you guys is second to none and the fact they let

you stay onboard and not kick you off first thing on your last day .

I do not smoke and only drink beer and the odd Southern Comfort at times so I do not use the Duty free shops anyway .

Having said that I feel for other passengers who have booked on this duty free freedom and hope it does not kill the Thomson

onboard happy party feel that the Thomson ships have. I hope not .

Once the results are in Sailaway feel free to use them on your Blog should you wish to do so ;):)

Ditto - you have said exactly what I would have said too Sailaway. And I can't tell you how disappointed it makes me feel that I'm even thinking this way. It's not just this issue (it's irrelevant to me actually as we don't usually buy drink for the cabin) but it's the way the 'product' is changing and the fact that I begin to feel our loyalty is being taken for granted!

I'lll reserve judgement but am trying P&O this year - we'll see! But you can rest assured I'll let you know how it compares in our opinion! ;)

I have actually voted for 'Wait and See' based on what the new itineraries look like, our experience with P&O and pricing.

We've just booked for the Caribbean for next Jan (as you know Kruz) at the time we looked at p&o too and I almost booked with them as we have some credit to use up and I do think the food is better to be honest but didn't for two reasons, we are not that keen on the very big ships and I just like the atmosphere on Thomsons.

However I'm upset now the more I think about it, as we are already booked on majesty in the summer the Caribbean booking for only eight months later is a huge expense for us . We couldn't afford all inc on that one as it is dearer so hoped to have a drink as we got ready. We would NEVER break she rules and drink our own alcohol anywhere else but our cabin and not many at all and then only odd nights but my point is when we booked this was the norm and what ever was in the terms and conditions it was never enforced so as was allowed this is what customers booking expected to be allowed to do !!!.

You can do this with p&o without a problem and of course never a prob on Thomsons before .

Only a little thing which won't effect us much but may have made a diff to my decision last week if I'd known!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk

Like you, I'm disappointed that I'm feeling like this. I think it is pretty obvious by now that I'm a big fan of the Thomson product, I mean, I even have a blog that's mostly about it! :D

But even I am looking elsewhere. I do think though, if we are even feeling like this, what do other Thomson cruisers who maybe aren't as loyal as us lot on here are doing? If even we are losing our faith in it, then surely others have jumped ship already! :eek:

I know how you feel Sailaway , a lot of our sentiments are in what you written in your post.

We have over the last two years had our Thomson New Year cruise booked and cabin chosen by now but as yet we

have not this year.

We are still looking but as you say the onboard experiece surrounded by you guys is second to none and the fact they let

you stay onboard and not kick you off first thing on your last day .

I do not smoke and only drink beer and the odd Southern Comfort at times so I do not use the Duty free shops anyway .

Having said that I feel for other passengers who have booked on this duty free freedom and hope it does not kill the Thomson

onboard happy party feel that the Thomson ships have. I hope not .

Once the results are in Sailaway feel free to use them on your Blog should you wish to do so ;):)

Thanks kalos! Will probably post something next week about it then, once the poll is closed. ;)

I voted to wait and see.

Tbh, I am now regretting booking the Dream so far in advance because I don't want the Thomson product to change and it clearly will with this decision.

I believe strongly that conditions should not change after you have paid your money.

Thomson have done this twice to me now as I was caught up in the Majesty fiasco.

I voted to wait and see.

Tbh, I am now regretting booking the Dream so far in advance because I don't want the Thomson product to change and it clearly will with this decision.

I believe strongly that conditions should not change after you have paid your money.

Thomson have done this twice to me now as I was caught up in the Majesty fiasco.

I've just put almost the same on the other thread little Nell.

Got two booked both booked when this hadn't happened, just not the right way to treat good loyal customers.

No warning, these changes should be done as a new brochure comes out to give proper warning to those booking and while I appreciate it was in the small print it was never enforced so they should understand it will be a huge shock and a big put off to customers but as no warning there is no chance to vote with our feet as already booked! !!!

I have also voted to wait and see. I too have 2 cruises on the Dream already booked for June and Feb so we'll see how they go.

I'm already disappointed that since booking our cruise for June almost a year in advance and the all inclusive drinks are not good as they used to be.

It'll be a pity if things do change as we love the atmosphere on board. We haven't cruised with any other company but may certainly consider this in the future.

I voted to wait and see.

I'm the same as you Nell. Will find out soon enough. I might regret booking my New Year cruise so early. Thomson are starting to get like a well known budget airline:(:(, what else are going to try an fleece us for.

Voted for 'look at other lines' Not really sure I would actually book any of them as I have always loved Thomson but it will not do Thomson any harm if they realise that a lot of their regular customers are beginning to look elsewhere.

Voted for 'look at other lines' Not really sure I would actually book any of them as I have always loved Thomson but it will not do Thomson any harm if they realise that a lot of their regular customers are beginning to look elsewhere.

If they actually bother to look at our results ...or am I just being negative :rolleyes:

If they actually bother to look at our results ...or am I just being negative :rolleyes:

I think I would put my last £1 on they will be looking :cool: (Hello Thompson :rolleyes:)

Going off Stevies post I read this by Sheila A ,good point :)

Not too bothered by all this either. Remember something like this before with Thomsons where drink wasn't allowed to be brought onboard and would be taken into storage till the end of the cruise, so assumed it was still being enforced. Find the drinks are competitively priced onboard anyway so if I want a pre-dinner tipple I'll just bring back a glass of something from the bar to the cabin.

Thank you to all for voting :)

You have mirrored my concerns, although i have only had two cruises with Thomson, i thoroughly enjoyed the experience and booked another two off the back of that, from comments of late it would now appear that i am going to have an all together different experience, (I still have not recovered from the fact they have taken Tequila sunrise off the cocktail menu)

You could turn a blind eye to some of their deficiencies (older ships, good but not great dining) the whole experience was charming, personal and friendly and you did not feel like the proverbial cash cow when on-board all for a very reasonable price too........I went on my first cruise with Thomson purely for the itinerary not really bothered about the 'ship' as we were treating it as a floating hotel and found that i liked the other side of the experience as well. But if that experience has changed so much i will and am looking at other lines for 2014 and will go with the same view as my first cruise - 'floating hotel' but this time i will get one a little more up to date, free safe, sensible drinks policy and perhaps a balcony for a comparable price.....and if my mini-experience with P & O is anything to go by a better standard of food in the MDR!

Thomson if you are working from within to try and get rid of your cruise business you are doing a sterling job!

Sorry rant over

We returned from our third Caribbean cruise on the Dream a couple of weeks back. We really enjoyed it, the islands are fantastic! Luckily, we were not affected by the ban on duty free and were able to enjoy drinks in our cabin. I can't believe they are stopping people drinking the alcohol purchased in the onboard shop in their cabins! We will be looking at other cruise lines now although we really enjoy the friendly atmosphere of Thomson cruises. I hope Thomson change their minds about this drink policy.

I have posted using the above title without seeing this post. Many of you are expressing the very reasons I am "thinking" of looking else where for a cruise. The Dream was most enjoyable, but you have to overlook that the ship is a little tatty around the edges. The atmosphere on board more than makes up for the ship, however, and this is a big HOWEVER, if Thomson keep chipping away at the little things that make them unique, then I will be looking elsewhere. For anyone out there that thinks Thomson is the cheap end of the market it really is not, when you consider the age and condition of the ships. With the "big boys" of the industry offering so much more facility wise, Thomson had better watch out.

To loose loyal customers, is not a good policy.

Lorraine

Thoms have said (quote) they are doing this to align themselves with other cruise lines alcohol policy (s).

===================================================

Thomson :thought you were different from other cruise lines :confused:

next will be the extras on your bill etc, etc

Dear Mr Ellacot think this will upset a few of loyal cruisers and so from me (as say on Dragons Den after my cruise in April I am out) :cool:

little things start to add up. safes were free. now at a charge. well can live with that, but now the relax rule for taking on a few bottles(for own consumption

within cabin) is being enforced :(

think you are making a big mistake Fraser, time will tell

Stevie

3rd April and if the figures were written in stone and real ,

only 21% would keep coming back regardless I would hate to be the one who handed those sort of figures

over to my boss at work :eek::eek: but a lot can happen in five days .

Once again thanks for taking the time to vote and sharing your thoughts :cool::)

Opted to go for "See how it goes". We are booked for 14 days at the beginning of June on Celebration. We also have 14 days booked for September on Island Escape and 28 days on Dream in April 2014. Our upcoming cruise will be the deciding factor as to whether we pay or cancel and forfeit both deposits on our return.:confused:

Hi Jim

The thought of cancelling two holidays is a bit galling but Thomson are really treating us like mushrooms. The thought of travelling down to Southampton does not fill me with excitement either. So any future cruising would have to be fly/cruises with another company or just retire from the type of holidays we enjoy.

The drink situation doesn't bother us as I don't drink any alcohol whatsoever and hubby is a beer drinker. He has been known to buy a bottle of drambuie on shore, as it is not always available in the shop onboard or in port, and he has that as a nightcap once back in the cabin. As we were AI on Majesty last October he used to take a double (his own plus my share) back to the cabin and he slept like a baby.;)

The trips seem to be another bone of contention. We had a couple of cruises with Ocean Village and were able to pre-book trips without paying up front. They were only charged once they had happened.

Also with OV, it was possible to see what cabins were available when going through the booking process and they were included in the price.

:)

I've also gone for "see how it goes" as I fancy one of the new itineraries for 2014.

However I won't be booking early and will check what else is available, but the ease of going from Newcastle may be the pull for us.

Archived