Why no air information

francina

Lately, I notice that cruise lines are not making air cost information available. Is this just because of the tine of year? Do you have to speak with them directly to get the cost of air?:confused:

I was able to get an airfare quote online via the webpage. They wanted almost $1800 total for 2 people round trip from Chicago IL to Houston Tx...holy moly...I was like ummm NO..matter of fact when I booked the cruise online it added the airfare...I must have clicked on a box that I should not have. However I called NCL immediately and they removed it. I booked air on my own for about $600 for the 2 of us round trip...what a difference, what a rip-off thru the cruise line for domestic. Now if I was doing international, then I would probably book thru the cruise line as their rates are competitive. At least that's what I had found out when I had booked a prior NCL cruise that was a trans-atlantic.

Lately, I notice that cruise lines are not making air cost information available. Is this just because of the tine of year? Do you have to speak with them directly to get the cost of air?:confused:

I noticed this also. There used to be an option on the page that you put the number of travelers and ages. I just booked a cruise on Monday and I wanted to see how much the difference would be if I included the airfare in with ncl.

outrages prices and last minute flight information with flight times and layovers . i want too be in control of my flight so i would never book my it with the cruiseline. of course i go the day before too relax before i get on the ship.

I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to price out a cruise for 2014 and there doesn't seem to be an option to include air so that you can do a cost comparison. I thought maybe they were no longer offering air - but then I saw the sale they have on select itineraries with deals on air - but I can't figure out how to find out which ones or where to look their website.

It's there, just in a different spot. You need to select a cabin, then input the guest info (can use fake info), then select "save guests" at bottom of page. The next page (Travel Options) will have the airfare drop down box and the option to add travel protection. Then select continue to payment and you can add the prepaid daily service charge.

It's really a pain just to receive a quote.

Edit: If no airfare package is available, you'll receive an error after trying to select a city.

Airfare has got to be killing cruise lines. The increases are getting gross!

What exactly do you mean? That people are not going on cruises because airfare is insanely high (it isn't), or that cruise lines are losing money on the airfare they sell (they probably aren't)?

"Time, money and patience to spare - fly cruise air"

Did it on our first cruise and never again. Almost guaranteed to be a consolidator fare. All good till something goes south and then you will find out what it's like to be left out in the cold. We almost missed our cruise. By shopping around you can almost always do better on your own and have a ticket that is worth more than the paper it is printed on if there is an issue with the flights.

Those looking for airfare add ons through the cruise lines, please read the sticky about cruise air at the top of this forum. For the most part the experts here are able to find fares that are competitive with any that the cruise lines have and are not encumbered with all of the restrictions that often come with cruise air. This forum will help you understand what the cruise lines are selling and once you are aware of the issues, you can make informed decisions. Until then, may the force be with you and keep your fingers crossed.

That people are not going on cruises because airfare is insanely high (it isn't),

I would respectfully disagree. Granted, we were spoiled a bit by artificially low fares but I've had some instances airfare to a port has been almost as much as the cruise I was looking at.

In my case, it is now a significant portion of my trip cost. As a result, I now look at different vacation options as well. I used to do only cruises - now I don't.

Combine the prices with the unpleasant experience of flying these days, it's a factor. Granted, I still fly but it's not something I look forward to. I'm glad I don't travel for business like I used to :).

I would respectfully disagree. Granted, we were spoiled a bit by artificially low fares but I've had some instances airfare to a port has been almost as much as the cruise I was looking at.

In my case, it is now a significant portion of my trip cost. As a result, I now look at different vacation options as well. I used to do only cruises - now I don't.

Combine the prices with the unpleasant experience of flying these days, it's a factor. Granted, I still fly but it's not something I look forward to. I'm glad I don't travel for business like I used to :).

Airfare SHOULD be a significant part of your travel costs. Flying is expensive. Operating an airline is expensive. And yet people demand rock bottom prices. That's why airlines go bankrupt so often.

There should be zero correlation between airfare paid to get to the cruise and the cruise itself. They are two completely different industries with different economics. Apples and oranges.

There should be zero correlation between airfare paid to get to the cruise and the cruise itself. They are two completely different industries with different economics. Apples and oranges.

Obviously.

My point was that in deciding to take a cruise or not, the airfare comes into play into that decision. NOT that the industries are tied together by an umbilical cord. :rolleyes:.

The airlines have created their economic mess and now they have lost sight they are in the service industry which further declines the quality of the travel experience that we would be willing to pay more for.

The airlines have created their economic mess and now they have lost sight they are in the service industry which further declines the quality of the travel experience that we would be willing to pay more for.

Although the airlines are a service industry, their first and primary responsibility is safety. In February, US-based airlines finished 4 years without a single fatality. Delivering that level of safety involves a $50-$200 million aircraft, and about 150 employees directly involved in getting a flight from A to B. Add to that sharply increased jet fuel prices (fuel is an airline's #1 expense).

Time after time, airlines have tried to offer better service, more legroom for only $10 more, etc. Customers have responded by ignoring that, and making it clear it's all about low, low, low fares. It sounds like you're willing to pay more for better service but 95%+ are not. Almost all airlines have "buy-up" options which are still far cheaper than 1975, adjusted for inflation.

Obviously.

My point was that in deciding to take a cruise or not, the airfare comes into play into that decision. NOT that the industries are tied together by an umbilical cord. :rolleyes:.

And I respectfully disagree with that. Kenish is spot on - airlines are giving people what they want. Us regulars on this board always see people say they want the "best" airfare and simply mean price. No care about comfort, service, or any of that stuff. The biggest concern is price, because people are always looking for THE cheapest. And yeah, money is tight for everyone these days, and cheap is good...but when people demand the cheapest, they can't also expect the best (or even close to it). And then when airlines introduce things like baggage fees so that they can maybe, just maybe, cover the high cost of operating a flight between LAX and SEA that people are only willing to pay $100 for, everyone is up in arms about that too.

Airlines do the best they can with the resources that passengers are willing to pay for.

This isn't an attack on you, as you do seen willing to spend a bit more, but most people aren't.

Zack: First of all, I was born in Olathe when the base was still there.

I can't disagree with you but it certainly gets frustrating when the prices increase, the travel experience declines and the "cattle-call" mentality breaks out. I will admit I will avoid airlines that charge a baggage fee if I can. It's not a price thing but I'm old school. Just tell me how much the ticket is and don't make me reach for a credit card before I board.

That is even before we get into the issue of the traveling public and carry-ons. When I traveled for a living, I would not flinch at a $1,500 ticket but I felt that I was a valued customer.

Anyway, have a good day and one of these days I might have to admit that times do change.

I can't disagree with you but it certainly gets frustrating when the prices increase, the travel experience declines and the "cattle-call" mentality breaks out. I will admit I will avoid airlines that charge a baggage fee if I can. It's not a price thing but I'm old school. Just tell me how much the ticket is and don't make me reach for a credit card before I board.

That is even before we get into the issue of the traveling public and carry-ons. When I traveled for a living, I would not flinch at a $1,500 ticket but I felt that I was a valued customer.

It sounds like you are willing to pay more for hassle-free as I commented in my reply. I mentioned "buy-up" options on most airlines, who have packages of various services depending on what you need. Or, there's always full-fare Economy and it will usually be less than $1500 :) In either case you pay when you book and won't be nickle-and-dimed later. From personal experience it removes petty and major annoyances, and although most airlines don't promise better service with the buy-ups, I find the treatment is a notch or two better.

It sounds like you are willing to pay more for hassle-free as I commented in my reply. I mentioned "buy-up" options on most airlines, who have packages of various services depending on what you need. Or, there's always full-fare Economy and it will usually be less than $1500 :) In either case you pay when you book and won't be nickle-and-dimed later. From personal experience it removes petty and major annoyances, and although most airlines don't promise better service with the buy-ups, I find the treatment is a notch or two better.

Airlines like F9 and, now, AA that offer various options at booking are the future, I think, and I like them a lot. If I'm booking a flight on Frontier, I have various options for booking the same seat on the same flight. Just airfare? Perfect for a weekend getaway to the Beer Festival in Denver. But if I'm doing a week in Florida with the wife, I can pay a bit more up front and not have to worry about checked bags, and can have my onboard entertainment paid for. Options abound, and it's all taken care of up front.

Archived