The Best Meal Plan for me is...

I will be celebrating my 50th birthday on the Jewel next year. I have never cruised Royal before. I have planned and saved for a few years to make this the vacation of a lifetime. I want this to be a pamper me, stress less, no worry escape from my everyday life of working, parenting, kids schedules and activities. I currently have the early seating but the more I think about it the more I don't want to be held captive to any particular schedule. I have booked a suite so I know I would like to take advantage of ordering room service from the dining room menu but don't really want to worry about holding up dinner at my assigned table or catching up with the waiter to let him know I will not be there. With MTD I've heard that you can make reservations or just show up yet I really don't want to make reservations in case I decide on room service or elsewhere. I just really want to go with the flow day by day. with every stroke of the key the more I am thinking MTD would be the answer. What do you experienced RCIers say.

I also agree that MTD is probably a good choice for you. However, you might want to take a quick look at the Cruise Compass (daily schedule) in the morning to note the evening showtimes. There might be a show you find interesting that would affect your MTD timing.

Yep, MTD will work great for what you want to do. Reservations are recommended but not required and you wouldn't need them with your plan.

Yes, they like you to get a reservation for MTD. But, if we decide to eat in the dining room, we make the MTD reservation that morning. The reservation just makes it a faster process getting into the DR.

Also decide if you want a table for two or if you want to share with others before making the reservation. We usually get a table for two. The tables are close enough that it is easy to chat with other diners nearby if you so choose.

I am in your age bracket. If you do early seating, you will be dining with a lot of kids. Most families do early traditional dining.

For the ultimate in flexibility, use MTD as a restaurant, where you can just show up and wait to be seated.

However, if you want to be pampered, I'd highly recommending making a reservation. If you ask to be seated with the SAME staff each night (I usually make a standing reservation for around 7PM and they always assign me a table so I just walk right in to MY table), the staff will get to know you and your preferences.

On my last cruise, my glass of wine began to simply appear by day 3. The waiter had noted my SeaPass number, so I didn't even have to hand over my card. Likewise, my son's after-dinner tea showed up each night. They became familiar with our routine and made recommendations accordingly. They asked about our plans for the next day's port, then asked how we enjoyed those activities the following night at dinner. I really like that level of pampering, so I prefer to be assigned a specific dining room staff. However, I prefer to set my own dining time and dining pace (at traditional dining, they tend to try to keep everyone on the same schedule, so dinner takes longer), so MyTime with reservations works best for me.

It's nice the RCCL offers these choices so you can determine whether traditional dining, flexible dining or choose-your-own-dining time provides the experience you're looking for.

I am in your age bracket. If you do early seating, you will be dining with a lot of kids. Most families do early traditional dining.

Never thought of this.

For the ultimate in flexibility, use MTD as a restaurant, where you can just show up and wait to be seated.

Just what I want.

However, if you want to be pampered, I'd highly recommending making a reservation. If you ask to be seated with the SAME staff each night (I usually make a standing reservation for around 7PM and they always assign me a table so I just walk right in to MY table), the staff will get to know you and your preferences.

On my last cruise, my glass of wine began to simply appear by day 3. The waiter had noted my SeaPass number, so I didn't even have to hand over my card. Likewise, my son's after-dinner tea showed up each night. They became familiar with our routine and made recommendations accordingly. They asked about our plans for the next day's port, then asked how we enjoyed those activities the following night at dinner. I really like that level of pampering, so I prefer to be assigned a specific dining room staff. However, I prefer to set my own dining time and dining pace (at traditional dining, they tend to try to keep everyone on the same schedule, so dinner takes longer), so MyTime with reservations works best for me.

This is just the experience I want!

It's nice the RCCL offers these choices so you can determine whether traditional dining, flexible dining or choose-your-own-dining time provides the experience you're looking for.

Thank you ALL so much for all of your advice. I changed my preference to MTD.

Archived