Do you really need a TA?

eboon

I contacted a TA a couple days ago and the price I was quoted for an inside stateroom on a 7 day cruise was about $135 more expensive than on the cruises website. So my question is, what is cheaper? Looking around on my own? Shopping around for a different TA?

I contacted a TA a couple days ago and the price I was quoted for an inside stateroom on a 7 day cruise was about $135 more expensive than on the cruises website. So my question is, what is cheaper? Looking around on my own? Shopping around for a different TA?

I would find a different TA. Ours in never more than the cruise lines web site and often finds us discounts that are not on the web site.

I equate the following:

Do I need a TA with Do I need a Realtor?

You can do each on your own, but do you know enough about what you are doing to get the best deal around. Plus on the side of the TA, if there is a problem, I don't have a problem the TA has a problem... I'm on vacation!

My last cruise I got a lot cheaper, I thought, by booking through the cruiseline directly than through a TA. By the time I had spent hours on the phone long distance trying to get the booking sorted out, it was no longer worth any of the savings due to all the stress involved.

If nothing goes wrong, booking through the cruiseline directly can be great. But if something goes wrong, the TA deals with the problem, not you.

Look around and find a TA that will provide extra perks. My TA belongs to a consortium of agents called Virtuoso, and they provide things like paid gratuities, parties on board, free shore excursions and things like that. My TA also sends flowers and wine to my stateroom. If you can find a TA like that, go for it.

Do what I do, and you will see that it will work out, I do my research first, checking the Cruiseline website, then check and see what other Online Websites have like Travelocity etc. then I just simply call the Cruiseline and talk to them, tell them that you are new, and it will be ur first time cruising, and that you are very interested in cruising with them on a specific date, then hit them with the questions:

What do you have for first time cruisers like me?

Can you get me a better price then what I found online?

Im sure they will pull some type of Hidden promotion out of a hat.. It works for me all the time and you end up saving lots of money.

If this fails just simply give them your name and number and to call you if something do come up that meets your budget. They usually call you withing a weeks time or they will tell you upfront there is some promo coming out soon etc.

Good Luck

Did you ask your TA why her price was more expensive than the cruise site?

This is unusual, I will say that much! But in all fairness there may be other things that came into play. Cruise fares can and do change based upon availability. Inside staterooms also have different categories and pricing, and not all inside staterooms are alike. Perhaps you looked at the lowest priced inside stateroom which in somecases is bunk beds and she quoted you the inside stateroom with regular beds or something to that nature.

Good TA's are like Gold. Hundreds of specials come across their desks daily, weekly with the cruiselines. They can do a whole lot more for you than one would realize!

I'd call her again and ask her to explain before you jump ship. Good luck to you.

Is this your personal travel agent, or just one out of the phone book? Also, make sure to compare the TOTAL price, with all taxes,fees, and shipping fees. My travel agent spends my money like it's hers and always looks for the best value when booking my travel. I like the personal touch and great service I receive from my travel agent. My documents are personally delivered to me along with a thank you gift, a bottle of wine in my room/cabin, and any additional information that will make my vacation more enjoyable. You can't get that with an online booking site! If I have any questions or problems, I know that I can make one phone call to my travel agent to get it resolved.

Dealing with one person that knows my travel needs takes the stress out of searching for the best deals.

TA price should never be higher, in fact it should be better if you have a good TA. We provide extras and discounts to our clients, but above everything we strive for personalized service. Less than 20% of cruises are sold directly through the cruise lines, so that tells you that online agencies like us and smaller travel agencies are doing most of the business.

It's hard to find a good TA, they have to earn your business if they want it.

eboon,

Don't use a TA. Call the cruise line's 1-800 number and talk to a representative. They will give you the best deal on the trip. We did this with Carnival Fascination. We received an e-mail with an offer frrom another source. We went to several discount travel sites online and then called the cruise line direct. While our weekend cruise couldn't get any cheaper, they upgraded us 2 levels on the ship for contacting them and making the reservations early through them.

Hola amigo,

I believe I've talked to you before on another thread. I never forget a boon name since D Boone was one of my heros.:D Now for the question,"Do I need a TA?" No! If a computer challenged person such as myself can book 4 cruises on-line, then you can too.

Check these boards for tips.

Check the online sites such as Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia and etc.

Check the cruiselines.

Check the ship reviews. (I won't pick a ship without at least 3 1/2 stars.)

I think that you will find that it is easier to do it yourself than it is to worry about someone else screwing it up for you. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Check the online sites such as Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia and etc.

I think that you will find that it is easier to do it yourself than it is to worry about someone else screwing it up for you.

Whether you realize it or not, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, etc. are all travel agencies.

When you do things on your own and "screw it up", you are the one left to clean up the mess. If something gets "screwed up" when a travel agent handles your booking, they need to clean up the mess and make it right.

Roz, I would not buy or sell a house without a Realtor.

By the way, notice I said Realtor with a capital R and not a real estate agent. All real estate agents are not Realtors. Realtors have to take continuing education classes and are more knowledgeable in their field. Unfortunately, the travel business as a whole does not promote those that elect to earn certifications and continue their education. Look for those with CTA and CTC after their names. They are required to earn CEU's annually to stay certified.

I use to be a Realtor and a real estate agent. No need to preach to the choir. :D Even though I have that experience, I still wouldn't do For Sale by Owner.

Roz

Archived