Question about repositioning cruises

cricri7

One advantage to a westbound transatlantic is that the clock works in your favor. You will suffer jet lag on the flight from the States to Europe but will regain your time in a leisurely way on the way back (longer days) and will not suffer from jet lag upon return to US.

What a great plan! 80% salary without the daily grind sounds like a no-brainer to me! You said you were taking a year off... would this be a sabbatical and is there a project you must do? Whatever, traveling will renew, reenergize your spirit. Enjoy!

Whogo......What is free air deviation? Since I always travel in the continental USA, I never use Holland for air travel. I use my Aeroplan miles or pay the airfare myself when I buy a couple of months in advance and get a great price.

I plan on taking a class or 2, still go to my school to do community work and, of course, traveling!! After more than twenty years in teaching, and fifteen more to go, a year off will allow me to come back refreshed:)

Thanks to everyone with the info about the repositioning cruises.

Whogo......What is free air deviation? Since I always travel in the continental USA, I never use Holland for air travel. I use my Aeroplan miles or pay the airfare myself when I buy a couple of months in advance and get a great price.

I plan on taking a class or 2, still go to my school to do community work and, of course, traveling!! After more than twenty years in teaching, and fifteen more to go, a year off will allow me to come back refreshed:)

My girlfriend taught for 30 years and took 2 separate years off during that time. She loved every minute of both and said she would do it again. Hope you have a marvellous time and drop in to the boards here to tell us some of your insights and all about your cruises!

I am no expert and usually book flights independently. Air deviation allows you to select the flights, saving you their usual $75 fee. It worked out nicely, I dealt with a pleasant, capable woman over the phone. Fly in early or return late, if you so choose.

Thanks Whogo for the answer!

Silvertogold.....I will enjoy that year and I know it will just fly by.

You can be sure I will come back and give a review of my cruises....Depending on my budget, Alaska in September is tempting me a great deal:rolleyes:

Thanks Whogo for the answer!

Silvertogold.....I will enjoy that year and I know it will just fly by.

You can be sure I will come back and give a review of my cruises....Depending on my budget, Alaska in September is tempting me a great deal:rolleyes:

There may be some deals in July for September Alaska, although not as good usually as May and June. It is a great time to go!

have you seen the fares for this year? like recent trips? HAL was offering $499 for 17 nights, $399 for 14. stuff like that. florida to barcelona, rome, etc. the same will be on offer coming back in the fall. but you have to wait.

if i were job-free and entirely flexible, this would be my main target. and, like someone else, i'd take it, spend the summer in europe backpacking (i'm 33), then come back on another. forget HAL's one-way airfare.

the other stand out fares i've come across recently;

-florida to vancouver via the panama canal. 22 nights, about $1000

-7-day new england/canada trips all summer. $449 outside cabin in addition to a $75 onboard credit. awesome deal for someone from your area too.

Archived