Question about repositioning cruises

cricri7

Hi guys......I am a high school teacher and just made the decision to take the following school year off. I already started looking at repositioning cruises since they seem to be the least expensive. I am a 3 star mariner so I already cruised quite a bit and on my year off I will be looking for the best specials out there. I will only be at 80% of my salary so I will be looking at great specials!

I noticed that the best specials seem to be around fall or spring. Is there one that is really cheaper....fall or spring?

I also noticed that the April 2014 repositioning cruises prices and itineraries have not come out. Does someone know when they are available to the general public?

I love my job but I am anxious to have a year to travel, take classes and just enjoy life without getting up at 5 o'clock in the morning!

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys......I am a high school teacher and just made the decision to take the following school year off. I already started looking at repositioning cruises since they seem to be the least expensive. I am a 3 star mariner so I already cruised quite a bit and on my year off I will be looking for the best specials out there. I will only be at 80% of my salary so I will be looking at great specials!

I noticed that the best specials seem to be around fall or spring. Is there one that is really cheaper....fall or spring?

I also noticed that the April 2014 repositioning cruises prices and itineraries have not come out. Does someone know when they are available to the general public?

I love my job but I am anxious to have a year to travel, take classes and just enjoy life without getting up at 5 o'clock in the morning!

Thanks in advance!

I have taken several repositioning cruises and have not really noticed a Spring/Fall price difference. It does depend a bit on the route, time of year (like the Fall NE to Florida route for the color change), and how many ships are doing the route that year. Also, since many of the repos are part of a longer cruise, pricing varies depending on how many people disembark at your embarkation port.

Best thing to do is look at the pricing for this year and write it down. That should give you an idea for next year, when the schedule comes out. The schedules do come out later than the other cruises, as most of the time they are "fill up" cruises for the longer cruises.

The prices are alot cheaper than most other cruises and I find the Neptune suites to be a real bargin (but they often sell out quickly - especially on the smaller HAL ships due to the limited inventory of them). Because of this, do not expect a price drop later on, so book ASAP. I booked my Oct. Pacific Coast cruise in late January and within two weeks the suites were sold out!!

DaveOKC

Thanks in advance!

Sabbaticals are wonderful! (Wish I had one)

The ones to/from Vancouver (Panama) are generally better priced in the spring, maybe because there are most ships doing this route then as opposed to in the fall. If you really want the deals, you need to be loose about it and book after final payment when the pricing will come down if the ships aren't well filled. We have done this with very good results!

Love repositioning cruises (aka transatlantics). If you can find one with some great ports at one end you are really flying.

I do prefer the fall ones but with all that being said we are heading off in the spring as the itinerary is not to be repeated and we couldn't resist.;)

Have your eyes open for a couple of good itineraries that interest you.

Have fun - love TA's:D

Love repositioning cruises (aka transatlantics). If you can find one with some great ports at one end you are really flying.

I do prefer the fall ones but with all that being said we are heading off in the spring as the itinerary is not to be repeated and we couldn't resist.;)

Have your eyes open for a couple of good itineraries that interest you.

Have fun - love TA's:D

I've often thought about doing a TA but never done it as I'm not sure I could handle so many sea days in a row..... and I worry about the Atlantic being rough. What has been your experience?

I've often thought about doing a TA but never done it as I'm not sure I could handle so many sea days in a row..... and I worry about the Atlantic being rough. What has been your experience?

Well this is going to be my at least 5th TA.:D

My first was on NCL - the beautiful Norway - I wondered what I would do for 5 days (we have 9 on this one). The time flew by.

Seas - there are no guarantee - but we have been lucky and had good captains.

Our captain last year (Halle Gundersen) sailed 200 miles to avoid a storm. I heard about the others being rocked and we had a smooth sailing despite some high waves - yes the Elegant Explorer really does cut through:D

I've had a couple of days of 'rough' seas but nothing that would scare me from doing it again.

If you can hook onto a really good TA - not the standard boring stops - but a good one - it is a perfect combination.

Fall is ideal as you will be 'toured' out and can relax. ON the other hand, we are going in the spring and dh will be tired from working so we will relax and get ready for our fantastic ports.

The biggest problem with most TA's is that they have the 'typical' ports. We like something different:)

Just a suggestion: Voyage of the Vikings!

Thank you guys for your answers!

I don't have any preference for the weather....my biggest thing will be the price. The itinerary is important of course but since my salary will be smaller, I will look for the specials!!! I will also take some of your recommandations, like waiting after final payment to probably see some of those prices go down...hopefully!

Thanks again!

I don't have any preference for the weather....my biggest thing will be the price. The itinerary is important of course but since my salary will be smaller, I will look for the specials!!! I will also take some of your recommandations, like waiting after final payment to probably see some of those prices go down...hopefully!

Thanks again!

Keep your eye on the Prinsendam - if you like ships and not floating hotels.

Her itineraries are usually wonderful:D

Yes, but from an economical standpoint, not so good.

actually if you are prepared to do an outside/inside cabin - there can be some really good bargains and if things don't sell - you can move up easily if you are inclined to watch and work:D

honestly - we can agree to disagree - but comparing food and service - there is no question IMO - I'll find out in May if I am still right;)

I'm a retired teacher and enjoyed my first TA this past fall from Rome. I guess things depend on your life situation and other obligations. It sort of sound like a fall TA would be great if you could go over early in Oct. and stay until an early Nov. crossing. There are pros and cons of each, but another thing to consider is that the amount of daylight is more limited in fall vs. spring crossings.

Check out all the lines though and look for the best itinerary. The only problem I see is that you may want to take an early retirement.

Thanks again!

If price is your concern, be sure to check the price of a flight back from Europe as one way air fares can be very expensive. I learned the hard way on my first TA to Europe. Since then, I have used air miles (which weren't available for one ways the first time we traveled).

Check out the Maasdam's fall cruise to Rome and back. It is a long cruise, but you could get a good deal on this cruise.

If price is your concern, be sure to check the price of a flight back from Europe as one way air fares can be very expensive.
Repos are a very good time to use HAL air, as the price will be about 1/2 the round trip price.

If you don't want to use HAL air, you can buy a r/t and throw away half, but be sure sure that you're throwing away the return flight, or they will probably cancel you if you don't show up for an outbound flight.

We have done fall transatlantic cruises to enjoy a number of 25 hour days and to arrive back home relaxed. Take the long flight at the start of the journey and the worst is over. Prices can be real low after final payment, the Prinsendam 15 day fall transatlantic of 2012 had cabins as low as $699 ($826 with taxes, $998 with taxes and hotel service charge).

As a three star Mariner, you will qualify for free air deviation. HAL's cruise air was cheaper and better than what we could find on our own, $900 from Chicago vs $1400.

You will not want to limit yourself to Holland America if you are looking for lowest prices. Are you traveling solo?

Maybe it would be a good idea to update your HAL profile to show what last minute cruises you will be available for. If you can be ready to cruise on short notice, there are some savings to be had.

Archived