Roatan, Tabyanna or Maya Key?

BiXLL

I have done a search on this and can't seem to find anything recent. We are new to snorkeling and this will be our first cruise also. I am wondering what the better experience would be for us between the 2 places.

I snorkeled right off the beach at Tabayana, towards the end where the rocky point is (brought our own gear, easy to rent there though). Some of the most incredible coral and fish I have ever seen! It was cloudy and I did get a jellyfish sting from a thimble-sized guy but would do it again in a heartbeat!

There is a member here mitzugirly that I am pretty sure from reading posts from the search that has been to both places. I was hoping to hear from her or someone else that has done both.

There is a member here mitzugirly that I am pretty sure from reading posts from the search that has been to both places. I was hoping to hear from her or someone else that has done both.

Maybe try searching Ports of Call/Roatan?

• 2 weeks later...
BiXLL-didn't I already talk to you about both of these? Maybe my mind is slipping. LOL
We talked, but you never did tell me if you preferred Maya Key or Tabyanna beach. Now I am also waiting to hear where Little French Key comes in when you get back also!

We talked, but you never did tell me if you preferred Maya Key or Tabyanna beach. Now I am also waiting to hear where Little French Key comes in when you get back also!

I will copy and paste what I had wrote:

Now this is just MY opinion, but yes, if I was going to Roatan and had to chose between West Bay and Maya Key, I personally would pick Maya Key. There was just so much to do there (other than just the beach/snorkeling experience). It was such a beautiful place. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I wasn't planning on trying out Little French Key...which looks just as beautiful. :p

Now that was just MY opinion. Others may agree or disagree. To me, West Bay was pretty, but it just reminded me of just another beach, lined with hotels along the beach...it's hard to explain. To me, it was just another typical beach (other than it has the awesome snorkeling). Maya Key, it was more than a beach. It was a private island with a lot of different things to do and see. Much more interesting to me. But...my opinion. :)

I will definitely report back and give you a link when we return from LFK. :D

you are absolutly correct, I do remember you posting that. I am on info overload!

Looking fwd to your comparison of LFK and Maya Key! Hope you have a GREAT time!

I know what you mean. I'm on overload right now too. Only another 18 days to go before we leave and I have nothing accomplished like I normally do. I haven't even decided what to do in Belize IF we do anything this time around. My head is spinning. :p

• 1 month later...

I am back from my cruise and missing Little French Key now.

So to anyone who might want the "full details" of this place, my portion of LFK is completed on my review over on the Carnival board.

You can find it here and it starts at post #250 and goes on until around post #349. Yep, it's long and there is a lot of details in it. It is very picture heavy as well.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• 3 months later...
I have done a search on this and can't seem to find anything recent. We are new to snorkeling and this will be our first cruise also. I am wondering what the better experience would be for us between the 2 places.

I cannot speak as to Maya Key, since I have never been there, but I have done snorkeling twice at Tabyanna, and it is my favourite off-beach snorkeling location I have ever done. There is so much to see. Go to the far left of the beach around the rocks. Be careful, they can be very sharp and the water over them is only a couple of feet deep in some places. If you go out a bit further, the water will drop to about 30 feet in depth and you can see amazing things around these coral heads.

One recommendation...do not go to Tabyanna with a cruise ship tour. Take a private taxi to West Bay around Bananarama (they share the same beach - Tabyanna is just the furthest part of West Bay to the left). Walk along the beach and just before you get to the roped off area for Tabyanna, go in the water and snorkel around the Tabyanna area. You are not permitted on the Tabyanna portion on land, but can do so in the water. Every time we visit Roatan, this beach seems to get busier and busier. However, the quality of the snorkeling is always the same...outstanding.

Archived