Asking Steward to Empty Refrigerator

rayandshirl

I will get off my soapbox after this post :eek:

It might have been OK to ask your steward to remove the four cans of coke and the one liter bottle of water from your mini-fridge in the past when they were responsible for maybe 13-14 cabins. However they now are responsible for 18-20 cabins and need to do all of their assigned work in the 13 hours per day that they are allowed to work.

The mini-fridge contents is the responsibility of Room Service, not your steward. Who's cabin do you want your steward to shortchange while he/she goes to Room Service with the five items and hopefully has them properly remove the items from your room inventory?

If you need space in your mini-fridge, just take 1-2 minutes of your time and put the five items in the large space behind your TV. As I said, that is where Room Service left those items in our cabin when they delivered our Elite mini-bar set-up on our last cruise.

If you want to make certain that you are not charged for any of the total value of $13.51 for the five items in your mini-fridge, then keep them in your room behind the TV. You can take another 1-2 minutes and replace them in your mini-fridge at the end of the cruise. Any other action can actually risk that the items will not be properly accounted for and you may be charged for the items missing from your cabin.

I want my steward to be concentrating on those services within his/her job responsibility to give us the best service within his/her allotted 13 hours per day :)

I am off my soapbox now :D

The mini-fridge contents is the responsibility of Room Service, not your steward.

If you use an item, does room service come around every day to find out or does your cabin steward alert room service that it has been used, you need to be charged, and it has to be replaced?

It might have been OK to ask your steward to remove the four cans of coke and the one liter bottle of water from your mini-fridge in the past when they were responsible for maybe 13-14 cabins. However they now are responsible for 18-20 cabins and need to do all of their assigned work in the 13 hours per day that they are allowed to work.

The mini-fridge contents is the responsibility of Room Service, not your steward. Who's cabin do you want your steward to shortchange while he/she goes to Room Service with the five items and hopefully has them properly remove the items from your room inventory?

If you need space in your mini-fridge, just take 1-2 minutes of your time and put the five items in the large space behind your TV. As I said, that is where Room Service left those items in our cabin when they delivered our Elite mini-bar set-up on our last cruise.

If you want to make certain that you are not charged for any of the total value of $13.51 for the five items in your mini-fridge, then keep them in your room behind the TV. You can take another 1-2 minutes and replace them in your mini-fridge at the end of the cruise. Any other action can actually risk that the items will not be properly accounted for and you may be charged for the items missing from your cabin.

I want my steward to be concentrating on those services within his/her job responsibility to give us the best service within his/her allotted 13 hours per day :)

I agree. The refrigerator is room service's domain except for the ice bucket which is kept full by the room steward.

If you use an item, does room service come around every day to find out or does your cabin steward alert room service that it has been used, you need to be charged, and it has to be replaced?

Room service is in your room every day to "refill" any item that is missing and charge you for that item on that day. My best guess is that if they show up on the day after embarkation, and find the fridge empty, they check the "usual" locations for stashing their stuff and do not charge you.

Point being, call room service, have them remove their inventory and you are clear.

I feel the same way. Putting them on the TV shelf makes those items visible. If we see charges for the items (which we haven't so far) on our final accounting, I can tell the front desk they can come to my cabin and I'll show them the cans and bottles. Can't exactly do that if they were taken away.

Plus, it only takes a few minutes to transfer them from the fridge to the shelf myself.

Archived