HAL Superstar

Oceanwench

On our cruise last month, DH and I [and the other 4 members of our party] went to the HAL Superstar show for the first time.

On a previous cruise we had chosen not to go to this show, but looking for something *different* [and at the urging of my DDs] we decided to see what the Superstar stuff was all about.

Wow -- we really enjoyed it! The people participating were very talented, and the judges [especially comedian Julie Barr] were a riot! :D

However, the shows were held in the Queen's Lounge [on the Zuiderdam] and it was jammed. We had to stand up through the first show. For the next show, we got there an hour early so we could get seats.

When the show started, several pax began pushing and shoving to see, blocking the view of others who were seated!

We ended up not going to the final show, in which two talented women competed for the title. We just didn't want to deal with the hassle of the seating.

I asked one of the headline HAL performers why this show [which was scheduled late in the evening, after the Vista Lounge shows] was not in a bigger venue.

She said HAL did not want any pax to mistake the amateurs for the cruise line's professional performers. She said that could happen if the Superstar competition took place in the Vista Lounge.

That makes a certain amount of sense, but I think there are ways to inform pax and host the Superstar evenings in the Vista.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, we did on the Westerdam. We had a couple with their daughter sitting at our table and she was in the Superstars show. We went the first night - we had fun and she was OK,......she was so nervous and that's maybe why she didn't do very well, but she did make it to the second round We tried to see the last night, but were late leaving dinner and by the time we got to the Queen's Lounge, it was jammed with people standing at the back, in fact so many that you could hardly get by them.

There were 2 fellas in the last round. One was about 16 and the other a bit older, but he'd had previous experience, so everyone figured he would win. The finals were held the last night on board and as we were putting out the luggage, an older lady and her grandson came down the hall and opened the door 2 cabins away. Well, what a surprise - this was the younger man. We asked him who won and he said "I did". We were thrilled for him and Grandma was just beaming. One of his prizes was a very nice watch - can't remember what the other prizes were.

It was too bad that the finals weren't held in the Vista Lounge as then a lot more people would have been able to see the show.

This statement by a headliner "She said HAL did not want any pax to mistake the amateurs for the cruise line's professional performers. She said that could happen if the Superstar competition took place in the Vista Lounge to me is ridiculous. The Crew show is in the Vista Lounge, why not this one. As you said, the show was late in the evening and on the last night.

I asked one of the headline HAL performers why this show [which was scheduled late in the evening, after the Vista Lounge shows] was not in a bigger venue.

She said HAL did not want any pax to mistake the amateurs for the cruise line's professional performers. She said that could happen if the Superstar competition took place in the Vista Lounge.

I don't believe that for a minute. As if the passengers can't tell the difference between professionals and passengers they've been with all week?

I've been to several Passenger Talent Shows on various ships. They're held in the showlounge (albeit in the afternoon; but some professionals also had afternoon shows). We knew who we were watching.

On our last cruise, we preferred the Superstar performers over the paid professionals!:) Everyone begged to have the Superstar show moved to where more passengers could enjoy it. As the week wore on and word got out how great it was, the Queen's Lounge was packed to the gills.

One of the highlights of the cruise in our opinion!:D

However, the shows were held in the Queen's Lounge [on the Zuiderdam] and it was jammed. We had to stand up through the first show. For the next show, we got there an hour early so we could get seats.

When the show started, several pax began pushing and shoving to see, blocking the view of others who were seated!

We ended up not going to the final show, in which two talented women competed for the title. We just didn't want to deal with the hassle of the seating.

That makes a certain amount of sense, but I think there are ways to inform pax and host the Superstar evenings in the Vista.

I think the HAL performer was answering for herself, not HAL - perhaps she was afraid of the competition.

HAL passengers are smart enough to figure out who are amateurs and who are pros - just like they know that the lady in the magician's box wasn't

really sawed in half, etc.

But if HAL is really worried about confused passengers, the CD certainly can set things straight in a pre-show announcement.

I agree. I attended this show on the Z in Nov. on the last evening and thought it was great. We arrived early, so we were fortunate and were able to find seats, but the lounge quickly became packed. They should relocate this to a larger venue. On some of the RCCL ships I've been on, they held the 'talent show' in the large theater and I don't believe anyone confused the pax with the ship performers. Sounds like nonsense to me.

~Kelly

I was just thinking back and when we cruised on the Maasdam in 2002 we had a talent show which was definitely in the main show lounge. I'm quite sure it was held in the afternoon. At that time no one was the least concerned that our talent would be confused with the professionals. LOL just thinking about it;) .

Heather - I think the talent show you must have seen was different from the Super Stars that they are now having. For years HAL had a masquerade and a talent show, which was usually in the afternoon on a sea day and held in the main lounge. Some were very good, some were pretty funny, and some were pretty bad. :eek:

The Super Stars are all singers, and it's held on 3 different nights, with eliminations each of the first 2 nights, just like American Idol.

I still think that Professional was speaking for herself and not for HAL but I don't understand why it's not held in the Vista Lounge.

You're absolutely right, Esme, it was just a "talent" show;) . It wasn't the Superstar show which we did see on the Oosterdam this past November and LOVED!!! Much better.

I only meant that the talent show took place in the show lounge so if HAL was worried about confusion, they weren't at that time.

So I think you're right and the Professional was only speaking for herself. I highly doubt HAL would have that concern. Which still leaves me wondering why they don't move at least the last couple of shows to the Vista Lounge where more could see it. Everyone we met on the ship was equally enthusiastic about it and many had to miss it because the room was full to capacity.

It would be better if HAL didn't just do the superstar after the main shows in the Vista Lounge. The Vista Lounge is three times or more larger than Queen's Lounge, and it would just make sense just to tell the crowd that the performers were ameturs and not HAL's professionals. The Queen's can get very crowded, but when you go to the superstar shows, try to go early if you want a good seat.

We attended all sessions of the HAL Superstar on the Oosterdam last month and after the first "try-out" night in the Northern Lights lounge the next two sessions were in the Queens Lounge----very, very crowded and because 3 of the contestants were so close in talent, the CD decided to hold the finals in the Vista Showroom. It was very well attended!

So, I have to agree with other posters that the cast member was likely stating thier personal opinion. Judging from our experience, if the CD wants it in the Vista Showroom, it CAN happen.

I don't think much of the Queens Lounge-any multi-purpose room is a compromise and IMO, HAL made too many compromises for that venue. Seating is awful!

The superstar competitions held in the Queen's Lounge on the final night are there because there is a certain amount of maintenance required to upkeep the theatre and unless the scheduling is changed to allow for it to be done at another point in time during the week then this is the only time when the stage is free of performers and sets. I completely agree with you that the event should be held in a larger venue but I think the Crow's Nest would be a better option since the professional entertainment is the priority of the Vista Lounge.

Deb: yes, it is a competition ala' American Idol, complete with "celebrity" judges. On our cruise, the judges were the CD, an assistant CD and one of the professional cast members. The singers "auditioned" in a lounge using karaoke. In fact, every subsequent performance was with a high-tech karaoke machine. I wanted to "audition" but was outvoted by my DW! :(

First time I ever saw this show was last year on the Oosterdam. They called it the "Oosterdam Idol" contest, and it was also held in the Queen's Lounge. I was on a B2B and, like everyone else said, it was packed to the max both weeks. I usually arrived late and squeezed in by the door.

I don't think the comment about the Vista Lounge being for professional performers is valid. I have been in the "Rock'n Roldies" show, and it was held in the Vista Lounge. No one could have been less professional than we were! It makes more sense to me that there may be some cleaning or maintenance done after the main show....but like everything else, with a little effort it could probably be rescheduled. This show has obviously become very popular on the ships, and it would be nice if the cruiseline made an effort to support and encourage the passengers to enjoy the show.

The one thing that annoys me about the cruiselines is their inflexibility. They have a game plan, and by heavens, they are going to stick to their plan whether it works or not. They have certain shows on certain nights in certain lounges, and they don't vary a whit whether or not they are well received. We usually stop in the Crow's Nest in the evening, and sometimes there aren't many people there. But, the night they have the 50s show, the place is packed and everyone young and old has a great time. You'd think someone would say: "Gee, the people seem to like this...maybe we should do this a couple of times during the week." Never happens....at least not on the cruises I've taken. I thought it was just HAL, but Celebrity did the same thing last year. I just don't get it.

Archived