Canceling Someone in your Cabin - Don't do it!

cruisinfanatic

If you are in a double and someone in you cabin can't make it, and you are within the 100% penalty period, don't ever tell. Just show up alone at the pier.

I've been hearing about people being charged extra because someone in the cabin is canceling a week ahead and just couldn't believe what I'm hearing.

So I made a phone call to Carnival for the scoop and couldn't believe the BS. Single supplement now they say because a double becomes a single. Total garbage to me as the cabin is pd for. Who cares how many show up. The lady was patient with me as she explained that the normal cancel charge would be $50 and the taxes that would be refunded for the person not going would offset that.

I'm assuming that those with insurance are the ones being charged the whole fee for the person not going. Then the insurance refund covers the extra the now single in being billed.

Now we know why Carnival keeps it's rates low. They over charge those who cancel

Thats what I always tell people. My PVP said keep your mouth shut. I opened my mouth once I got to the port and it took her 25 minutes to go get help to get back into my booking .. next time I will say my sister is parking the car and not answer with the truth.

But I know better than to cancel...its common sense. There is a 200% solo supplement. Its not a secret.. yes, unless you are cancelling because of insurance.. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

PS some bookings have a $50 fee to change the pax.. some you cant, like I was booked ES. If you cant do anything to change the pax, there is no reason to tell anyone, and at worst you will have to pay more.

I did get my sisters add on taxes and fees automatically refunded to my card after the cruise (I paid for the cruise). Im not sure why you called .. but I already know better.

Thats what I always tell people. My PVP said keep your mouth shut. I opened my mouth once I got to the port and it took her 25 minutes to go get help to get back into my booking .. next time I will say my sister is parking the car and not answer with the truth.

But I know better than to cancel...its common sense. There is a 200% solo supplement. Its not a secret.. yes, unless you are cancelling because of insurance.. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

PS some bookings have a $50 fee to change the pax.. some you cant, like I was booked ES. If you cant do anything to change the pax, there is no reason to tell anyone, and at worst you will have to pay more.

I did get my sisters add on taxes and fees automatically refunded to my card after the cruise (I paid for the cruise). Im not sure why you called .. but I already know better.

I called for my own information.

I just can't believe you can't cancel a person in your cabin knowing it's not refundable. The single sppliment excuse they use for the extra fee is garbage as the cabin is already booked and paid for 200% of the fare.

This is not reasonable to me

I called for my own information.

I just can't believe you can't cancel a person in your cabin knowing it's not refundable. The single sppliment excuse they use for the extra fee is garbage as the cabin is already booked and paid for 200% of the fare.

This is not reasonable to me

but if you already knew the solo supplement was 200%, why call about cancelling .. what would be the point? I guess I dont get why you would cancel the 2nd pax if you know the other will be charged 200%.

And cruise lines, not just Carnival, need actual bodies on board to drink, gamble, buy trinkets and book shore excursions.

Think about it...you can have one person in a cabin...or up to three in a cabin. They make more than just the price of the cruise...but only if the bodies are on the ship.

Your partner doesn't show up....you basically cover for this lost revenue.

No secret, nothing nefarious, just business.

I learned this lesson last Sept. My stepson had a court date for his divorce the judge REFUSED to reschedule with a trip already booked, so I thought since we were out the money already, I would give Carnival a heads up. On the phone they never said anything about a cancellation fee. Few hours later I notice the 100.00 balance on my PAID OFF room. Called for explanation and get the old supplement garbage talk. Since it was only hours since the change I had them put him back in as it was already paid for.

To my surprise (LOL) my stepson never made the trip. Big no-show! I ended up getting taxes, pre-paid gratuities put back on my credit card. Learned my lesson...keep mouth shut!

So, my son-in-law's boss is being a jerkwad about giving him the time off. (after approving the vacation six months ago) I should just print out separate boarding passes for him and my daughter, and she can tell them "He'll be here later" and act as shocked as the rest of us when he doesn't make the sailing? They won't stick us with a "No Show" fee? We will still be using the cabin that I've already paid two fares for...

So, my son-in-law's boss is being a jerkwad about giving him the time off. (after approving the vacation six months ago) I should just print out separate boarding passes for him and my daughter, and she can tell them "He'll be here later" and act as shocked as the rest of us when he doesn't make the sailing? They won't stick us with a "No Show" fee? We will still be using the cabin that I've already paid two fares for...

That's what I'd do.

There is no "no show" fee. They automatically refund the add on taxes and fees to the card that paid for them. (I didnt ask and couldnt figure what the small amount was for at first, had to ask my PVP).

In my case my sister got married that I had booked ES on a bunch of cruises, so she no showed a lot. They called me once to tell me she had not filled out her online boarding info .. I just said ok, didnt say anything else.

Then wouldn't all solo travellers just book with an imaginary person that is a no show?

What would be the point? When I book solo, I pay 200% but only one add on taxes and fees. If I want to add someone later, there is no penalty,they just pay the extra pax's worth of add on fees and taxes.

Money wise there is no difference so I dont know why you would want to do it that way?

In another thread today about cheers we have a bunch of people screaming about stealing if you give away one of your drinks....yet I see no one here where we talk about avoiding a 200% up charge by not being honest...double standards I guess...go figure

Hoping one of you can help me.

I have booked and paid for myself and my two kids for a cruise next month. Now it is likely that my 12 year old wont be able to go. I figured I would just have to eat the cost of one passenger as a 'no show'... Hopefully being refunded for the third passengers taxes/fees. Now I am not so sure.

I don't want to pay MORE just because one of our party might not make it.

I was thinking of just 'saying nothing'... But does the fact that it is a minor child make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In another thread today about cheers we have a bunch of people screaming about stealing if you give away one of your drinks....yet I see no one here where we talk about avoiding a 200% up charge by not being honest...double standards I guess...go figure

There is no way to avoid the 200% upcharge.. no matter how you book it you pay for two pax. how is this avoiding anything?

if anything solo cruisers might be screaming like me because we always pay 200%.

I dont know what you are reading into this.. but you are mistaken.. there is no way to avoid the 200% solo supplement.. if you cruise alone.. if you book 2 people, you paid for 2 people. No matter what, you pay for 2 people, how is this stealing to you? You think we should pay 300%?? let both people pay and one cancel so there is a 300% solo supplement? I really dont get what people here are thinking by their posts.. yours went right over my head.

I can remember when solos only paid 150% .. so solos have reason to be screaming .. not because someone like you thinks we cheated by not paying even more than the 200% we always pay .. or we paid for 2 people. its comes out the same either way.

Solos always pay 200% on Carnival. If you think this is cheating somehow.. I cant even imagine how.

Hoping one of you can help me.

I have booked and paid for myself and my two kids for a cruise next month. Now it is likely that my 12 year old wont be able to go. I figured I would just have to eat the cost of one passenger as a 'no show'... Hopefully being refunded for the third passengers taxes/fees. Now I am not so sure.

I don't want to pay MORE just because one of our party might not make it.

I was thinking of just 'saying nothing'... But does the fact that it is a minor child make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You always get back the add on taxes and fees for the no show as I said above. its automatically done.

As far as if you should no show or if you cancel now you can get a little back, that is up to you and how much you would get back. The only consideration might be that if you cancelled the 3rd pax, they MIGHT move you to a double if they wanted your triple cabin. (more than likely not).

Being a 3rd pax, there is no extra supplement etc.. its only if you cruise alone.

We just returned 3/9 on the Freedom. I had booked 3 cabins total. So happened our daughter and her boyfriend broke up at Christmas. We booked early saver so no changing the passenger. So our family showed up on 3/3 , the Carnival rep says Ms. M.H. And Mr. M.B., no MB he will join us later. We sailed and not one problem. A couple weeks later, a credit for port fees and taxes to my credit card. Don't say a word.

There is no way to avoid the 200% upcharge.. no matter how you book it you pay for two pax. how is this avoiding anything?

if anything solo cruisers might be screaming like me because we always pay 200%.

I dont know what you are reading into this.. but you are mistaken.. there is no way to avoid the 200% solo supplement.. if you cruise alone.. if you book 2 people, you paid for 2 people. No matter what you pay for 2 people, how is this stealing to you? You think we should pay 300%?? let both people pay and one cancel so there is a 300% solo supplement? I really dont get what people here are thinking by their posts.. yours went right over my head.

I can remember when solos only paid 150% .. so solos have reason to be screaming .. not because someone like you thinks we cheated by now paying even more than the 200% we always pay .. or we paid for 2 people. its comes out the same either way.

At the beginning of this thread, aren't we saying that we have a double booked fully paid cabin, past the refund period. If person two cancels and gets no refund then person one is now subject to an up charge, meaning they have to pay more because person 2 cancelled? If not, why not tell Carnival they are cancelling?

Don't group me in the "your stealing" category, I never said that.

My friend who was supposed to go with me was very sick and unable to make the trip. I printed my boarding pass and checked in. The person asked where my friend was and I told them that I didn't know, she was supposed to be on her way.

Before we left I was paged about a dozen times to call GS @ 7777. I finally answered before we left and just told them that I didn't know where she was and off we went. She had insurance, so thankfully she was reimbursed. Yay for insurance:)

There is no 200% up charge for cancelling. A solo person pays 200% of the single person cruise fare plus 100% of the fees and taxes.

Two people combined pay 200% of the single person cruise fare plus 200% of the fees and taxes.

When you cancel one of the two people, you are entitled to a refund of the unused fees and taxes. However, there is also a $50 change fee (no a cancellation fee). You do not receive a refund of the single person's cruise fare because a solo cruiser has to pay for two.

It is different if you have three in the cabin. When you have three in the third person pays a reduced fare. For example, the cruise fare might be $1,000 each for the first two people and $480 for the third person. Each person has to pay 100% of the fees and taxes.

If you are in the 100% cancellation penalty period, then you are not going to get the cruise fare back ($480 in this case). However, you would be entitled to get a refund of the fees and taxes. If there is a change fee and the change fee is greater than the fees and taxes, then you still lose.

If you are not in the 100% penalty period - say you are in the 75% penalty period, then you would get back 100% of the fees and taxes plus 25% of the cruise fare, or $120 in this case. I don't know if the change fee would apply.

However, it works the same in reverse. I was a solo in my cabin and shortly before the cruise added another person. In addition to the additional fees and taxes there was a $50 change fee (obviously not a cancellation fee). Was I surprised by this? Yes.

This had noting to do with an ES rate, and this was a July 2008 cruise - before ES was available. The $50 fee is a change fee, not a cancellation fee. Thus, by not speaking up you are simply avoiding the change fee, you are not avoiding a cancellation fee, and this change fee applies whether you are adding someone or removing someone.

At the beginning of this thread, aren't we saying that we have a double booked fully paid cabin, past the refund period. If person two cancels and gets no refund then person one is now subject to an up charge, meaning they have to pay more because person 2 cancelled? If not, why not tell Carnival they are cancelling?

Three is NO up charge. One person or two people pay the same cruise fare. If there is solo cruiser, that person pay only one fees and taxes. If there are two people, each person pays the fees and taxes.

Since one person or two people pay the same amount, there is no change in the cruise fare. THERE IS NO UP CHARGE!!!

There is no 200% up charge for cancelling. A solo person pays 200% of the single person cruise fare plus 100% of the fees and taxes.

Two people combined pay 200% of the single person cruise fare plus 200% of the fees and taxes.

When you cancel one of the two people, you are entitled to a refund of the unused fees and taxes. However, there is also a $50 change fee (no a cancellation fee). You do not receive a refund of the single person's cruise fare because a solo cruiser has to pay for two.

It is different if you have three in the cabin. When you have three in the third person pays a reduced fare. For example, the cruise fare might be $1,000 each for the first two people and $480 for the third person. Each person has to pay 100% of the fees and taxes.

If you are in the 100% cancellation penalty period, then you are not going to get the cruise fare back ($480 in this case). However, you would be entitled to get a refund of the fees and taxes. If there is a change fee and the change fee is greater than the fees and taxes, then you still lose.

If you are not in the 100% penalty period - say you are in the 75% penalty period, then you would get back 100% of the fees and taxes plus 25% of the cruise fare, or $120 in this case. I don't know if the change fee would apply.

However, it works the same in reverse. I was a solo in my cabin and shortly before the cruise added another person. In addition to the additional fees and taxes there was a $50 change fee (obviously not a cancellation fee). Was I surprised by this? Yes.

This had noting to do with an ES rate, and this was a July 2008 cruise - before ES was available. The $50 fee is a change fee, not a cancellation fee. Thus, by not speaking up you are simply avoiding the change fee, you are not avoiding a cancellation fee, and this change fee applies whether you are adding someone or removing someone.

So what is saved by not telling CCL that person number two cancelled? In other words whats the whole point of this thread, $50?

Nobody is stealing anything. By not cancelling you simply avoid the cancellation fee.

When someone buys a drink card, that card is for one person and one person only. Sharing the drinks is stealing.

If you buy two tickets to a game, and share the tickets with two other people, that is stealing. That is why part of the ticket is torn off, so people cannot share their ticket. If you buy two tickets and one person doesn't show up, there were still two tickets paid for. There is no refund. It is the same with cruising. However, Carnival charges a change fee. Some stores charge a restocking fee. If the restocking fee is greater than the cost of the item, then don't return the item. However, by not returning it you have not stolen it.

So what is saved by not telling CCL that person number two cancelled? In other words whats the whole point of this thread, $50?

It would appear that way, and according to the OP the $50 is mostly offset by the refund in port fees and taxes.

I and some others were thinking the OP was saying it was going to cost 300%.

What is saved is the $50 change fee. And yes, the whole point of this thread is $50.

Archived