Which Hampton Inn in Galveston?

Trevoli

Will be flying into Houston (HOU) for an upcoming cruise the day before sailing, and want to stay at a Hampton Inn. Which one is closest to the pier (sailing on Princess, if that makes a difference)?

Thanks much.

Thanks so much, Galveston Cruiser. This is exactly what I was looking for.

When I went to Hilton.com, it mapped a bunch of locations, but I see now that they included a larger surrounding area.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn Galveston on April 13, the night before our cruise. I would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone. Here's why:

I booked this hotel through booking.com in February. I received a confirmation for TWO rooms. When we arrived, the lady at the counter said that there was only ONE room available. I showed her my phone with the booking on it for two queen rooms, but she insisted only ONE room was booked. While we stood there discussing what to do (no rooms were available there and we were trying to figure out where else to stay) she said she was going to run the late check in charges who had not arrived and one of them was declined. She called the person and they said they did not need the room and so she said we could stay in it--for an additional amount. That evening I checked my bank account online and saw that we had been charged two of the original rooms' rates and one of the larger amount. The next morning I went to the desk to show the girl my bank info and she said not to worry, it was pending and it would be removed. We returned last night and this morning I checked my account, and there were still three charges--for a total of close to $600. We only used two rooms, so I called Hampton and the girl said the manager would address it. The manager called later and said their records showed that we used three rooms. I assured her that we had only two rooms and she was very rude about the entire issue. She did not say it would be remedied, only that she would look into it. I did contact the corporate office and I will be refunded, but the Hampton Inn Galveston staff were not helpful and totally unapologetic. We have stayed at other locations on the island in the past and I would recommend looking elsewhere. Other hotels are closer to the cruise terminal and have much friendlier and more helpful staff.

--Susan

• 3 weeks later...
We just stayed at the Hampton Inn Galveston on April 13, the night before our cruise. I would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone. Here's why:

I booked this hotel through booking.com in February. I received a confirmation for TWO rooms. When we arrived, the lady at the counter said that there was only ONE room available. I showed her my phone with the booking on it for two queen rooms, but she insisted only ONE room was booked. While we stood there discussing what to do (no rooms were available there and we were trying to figure out where else to stay) she said she was going to run the late check in charges who had not arrived and one of them was declined. She called the person and they said they did not need the room and so she said we could stay in it--for an additional amount. That evening I checked my bank account online and saw that we had been charged two of the original rooms' rates and one of the larger amount. The next morning I went to the desk to show the girl my bank info and she said not to worry, it was pending and it would be removed. We returned last night and this morning I checked my account, and there were still three charges--for a total of close to $600. We only used two rooms, so I called Hampton and the girl said the manager would address it. The manager called later and said their records showed that we used three rooms. I assured her that we had only two rooms and she was very rude about the entire issue. She did not say it would be remedied, only that she would look into it. I did contact the corporate office and I will be refunded, but the Hampton Inn Galveston staff were not helpful and totally unapologetic. We have stayed at other locations on the island in the past and I would recommend looking elsewhere. Other hotels are closer to the cruise terminal and have much friendlier and more helpful staff.

--Susan

A YMMV situation. I had noting but a positive while staying at this hotel. On a side note, it does seem like many issues seem to come up when booking though 3rd party sites. I only book direct though the Hilton site (or what ever hotel chain I am need to stay at) and have never (knock on my wood desk as I type this) had any issues with Hilton brands. I have been Gold level for a number of years so I have had many nights in their hotels.

One side overlooks Walmart Parking lot!

Good or bad???? Relative to your needs.

And its one block from Gulf

BUT there is no beach there, just rocks!

Beach is 1/4 mile away!!!

There are a few restaurants around there in walking distance!

To get bearings with map courtesy of galveston.com

see interact and discover/maps

Galveston Island Map PDF

Houston Map PDF

• 3 weeks later...
Is it in walking distance to the cruise port, or do they offer a free shuttle there?

Absolutely not walking distance. You will have to check with them about a shuttle.

There are only 2 hotels within walking distance of the port; The Tremont and Harbor House.

Absolutely not walking distance. You will have to check with them about a shuttle.

There are only 2 hotels within walking distance of the port; The Tremont and Harbor House.

Thank you! I am thinking I should probably fly in the day before and stay at an airport hotel, and then get the Carnival shuttle from the airport the morning of the cruise.

Sounds like transportation is a huge issue between Houston and Galveston. Lots of bad reviews of Super Shuttle, and as a solo I will not be springing for a limo or renting a car :D. But I have 16 months to plan.....

Thank you! I am thinking I should probably fly in the day before and stay at an airport hotel, and then get the Carnival shuttle from the airport the morning of the cruise.

Sounds like transportation is a huge issue between Houston and Galveston. Lots of bad reviews of Super Shuttle, and as a solo I will not be springing for a limo or renting a car :D. But I have 16 months to plan.....

Being 16 months out there may not be a roll call yet... once there is, join it and see if anyone wants to share a ride to Galveston the day before. Galveston has quite a bit to do and see vs. staying at airport hotel.

Being 16 months out there may not be a roll call yet... once there is, join it and see if anyone wants to share a ride to Galveston the day before. Galveston has quite a bit to do and see vs. staying at airport hotel.

Thanks for the info, that's a great idea!

I didn't see a roll call yet so I started one, I hope that's kosher? :D

I would check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Keith

Thank you.......I Googled and Trip Advisor was one of several review sites (in addition to info here on CC). Of course Florida has so many more cruises there are more transportation options there, but I look forward to cruising from a different port :) Thankfully I have plenty of time to figure out the logistics.....

We've flown into Houston Hobby, stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport (shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel back to the airport the next morning, free (tipping is appreciated:)). We then took the Carnival shuttle from the airport to the ship in Galveston.

Granted, you might be able to do this cheaper, but it worked out great for us!

• 2 weeks later...
Will be flying into Houston (HOU) for an upcoming cruise the day before sailing, and want to stay at a Hampton Inn. Which one is closest to the pier (sailing on Princess, if that makes a difference)?

Thanks much.

I do hope the op realizes all the responses on the Hampton Inn and other hotels on this posting were for Galveston. The op says they are cruising on Princess which will sail out of the Bayport Terminal in Houston.

I do hope the op realizes all the responses on the Hampton Inn and other hotels on this posting were for Galveston. The op says they are cruising on Princess which will sail out of the Bayport Terminal in Houston.

Good catch, Carla! It looks like this Hampton ( http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-houston-deer-park-ship-area-HOUDPHX/index.html ) is close to the port.

Archived