Visa/Travelers Checks/Cash

I will be on FOS in December, doing a Western Caribbean cruise. Been researching allot but still have questions about my visa. International fees are charged at a rate of 3%. I plan on doing lots of shopping and really don't want to pay additional fees. Does anyone ever use travelers checks? Are they easily acceptable in ports? Not sure if I'm comfortable taking allot of cash. What about on the ship itself, does anyone know if that's all billed in U.S. currency? Sorry for all these questions, but thank you for any advice. Part of being a first time cruiser. :)

Ship is billed in dollars. There are ATMs onboard. USVI uses US dollars, so no international fees.

I don't use my AMEX in overseas, generally, as it has the highest fees. Looks like I maxed out at 1% on my transaction fees, which were mostly for food and drinks in the Caribbean.

You have time; shop for a card with a lower transaction fee. I have not tried traveler's checks. I'm reasonably confident you can cash them onboard, but I haven't seen anyone carry them in years.

I will be on FOS in December, doing a Western Caribbean cruise. Been researching allot but still have questions about my visa. International fees are charged at a rate of 3%. I plan on doing lots of shopping and really don't want to pay additional fees. Does anyone ever use travelers checks? Are they easily acceptable in ports? Not sure if I'm comfortable taking allot of cash. What about on the ship itself, does anyone know if that's all billed in U.S. currency? Sorry for all these questions, but thank you for any advice. Part of being a first time cruiser. :)

There are credit cards out there that do not charge an international conversion fee. Do a Google search to find them. As for travelers checks, fewer and fewer places accept them.

We take travellers cheques and you cash them onboard. Did this just a few weeks ago.

Are you a non-American? Be careful with RCI charging your account in US. If you have the option to be charged in your own currency, look into whether it would be better. We're Canadian and it's cheaper for us to be charged in US and let our credit card company convert the charges than the fee that RCI charges. You need to read the fine print on these conversions.

Are you a non-American? Be careful with RCI charging your account in US. If you have the option to be charged in your own currency, look into whether it would be better. We're Canadian and it's cheaper for us to be charged in US and let our credit card company convert the charges than the fee that RCI charges. You need to read the fine print on these conversions.

Oops! My reply assumed they were US citizens. Not necessarily a good assumption!

(But since they spelled it "check" instead of "cheque", that's probably a good assumption :).)

Very good assumption. Yes, I am a U.S. citizen. :)

I know there are ATM machines, but again, they charge $8. Trust me, I'm not cheap, I splurged on an Owners suite, but now have to count dimes to pay for it. LOL. I just hate paying interest or fees on things.

I am shopping around for another credit card that has no international fees, but once again, they want $95 a year annual fee. I hate fees! :mad:

Thanks for everyone replying....your helping a clueless first time cruiser make better decisions. :cool:

Very good assumption. Yes, I am a U.S. citizen. :)

I know there are ATM machines, but again, they charge $8. Trust me, I'm not cheap, I splurged on an Owners suite, but now have to count dimes to pay for it. LOL. I just hate paying interest or fees on things.

I am shopping around for another credit card that has no international fees, but once again, they want $95 a year annual fee. I hate fees! :mad:

Thanks for everyone replying....your helping a clueless first time cruiser make better decisions. :cool:

Keep looking there are cards with no annual and no foreign. Try credit unions P...Fed Visa or Cap...l 1 might work for you.

John

Thank you all so much. The links were so helpful. Just applied and was approved for a venture card. No annual fee an no foreign fees. Best part it's a rewards card. 10,000 points after the first purchase. Now I'm working on earning OBC, so this was so helpful. I just love CC. :cool:

Discover claims not to have fees, but I found Discover isn't accepted many places, so our idea to use Discover fell by the wayside. I'd try and find a Visa that doesn't charge fees.

I've heard travelers checks are getting hard to use, but I have no factual info to share - but hearing that makes me scared to rely on travelers checks.

There has never been a fee associated with the ship's charges for us - US citizens.

Archived