Which night to eat at Pinnacle?

MikeDMess

We cruised from Sunday to Sunday. We dined there the first night because it was half price; then we dined there again on Thursday night because it was included with our Renewal of Vows package. Friday night was lobster/filet night. We also were in the dining room for prime rib night but after eating in the Pinnacle we found the dining room steaks and other food to be just okay.

The Pinnacle was excellent and you will not be disappointed. Wish we had eaten there one more time. Planked halibut was very good, too.

Which sailing in August? We're on the 8/13 W/Carib. We don't do the half-price Pinnacle because we want to meet our Main DR tablemates. We used to go on the now extinct Dutch Night (really miss the Dover Sole), but now will go whenever our friends want to go.

Menus are in my sig below.

ekp, yes you can make reservations before you board. Just call Ships Services and they will be happy to make the reservations for you.

I also like to eat at the Pinnacle the first night as well, half price and the food is incredible, especially that volcano cake, that's worth the price of admission alone.

Oooohhhhh Brian, those escargot, I am with you on that one, wouldn't want to miss those for anything.

Hi,

Although the Pinnacle is half price on the first night, I'm not sure if we would go then again. On our last cruise, we had dinner in the Pinnacle @ 7:00 so that we could stop by our assigned table afterwards for coffee and to meet our tablemates. To our surprise, the table for 4 was full - so we waited until the second night to meet our tablemates. They never came to dinner - any of the 10 remaining nights! I guess they found another table to join! Hope you have better luck!

Happy Sailing

We don't do the half-price Pinnacle because we want to meet our Main DR tablemates.
We get around this by reserving the Pinnacle about a half hour after our DR seating time. Then we go by, introduce ourselves, then tell them we'll see them tomorrow night.

Last time I sailed on HAL we didn't have a Pinnacle Dining Room so forgive the dumb questions. We sail in Feb. on the Volendam. Do they have a Pinnacle?

If so, is the menu the same there every night or does it change? I saw the menu posted for the Zuiderdam Pinnacle - will it be the same for my ship? Is the charge for the dinner billed to shipboard account? How do you tip your server from the Pinnacle?

How do you reserve a table?

Thanks.

Yes, the Volendam does have a Pinnacle Grill and the menu would be the same as you saw posted on the Zuiderdam.

You can make your reservation through ships services, or you can make a reservation once you board. Sometimes though the popular days and times do sell out early so if there is a day and time you really want, make the reservations with ships services. Have your charge card ready as they will charge your card immediately.

You can leave a tip for the Pinnacle Grill staff with cash, you are not able to put it on your shipboard account.

I'd check the main dining room menu earlier in the day(it's posted outside the front doors on both levels) and see if you want to eat there that night. If not, than the Pinnacle grill is open every night, but you need to make a reservation. I'd suggest to go to the Pinnacle on a casual night if you like to dress formal, or if you like to dress casual then go to the Pinnacle on formal nights. The Pinnacle is more formal than the main dining room on casual nights, but not as formal on formal nights.

Hi, lgarner... The Volendam Pinnacle menu may be similar to Zuidy's, and is the same each night. Your shipboard account will be billed $20 pp ($10 pp on the first night) and it's suggested by many delighted Pinnacle diners that you tip about $5 pp in cash. There is no way to add it to the charge. Also, you may order any number of side dishes or desserts, but if you want another entrée, it's another $20.

I recommend the petit filet, planked halibut or planked shrimp, crème brulée and chocolate volcano.

Reservations can be made in advance at the Ship Services # below (immediately charged to your credit card), at the Pinnacle reception desk, or through your concierge. Make your rez early, as the preferred dining times fill up fast.

Candy <-- can't wait for August and our 5th Zuidy

Last time I sailed on HAL we didn't have a Pinnacle Dining Room so forgive the dumb questions. We sail in Feb. on the Volendam. Do they have a Pinnacle?

If so, is the menu the same there every night or does it change? I saw the menu posted for the Zuiderdam Pinnacle - will it be the same for my ship? Is the charge for the dinner billed to shipboard account? How do you tip your server from the Pinnacle?

How do you reserve a table?

Thanks.

I'd check the main dining room menu earlier in the day(it's posted outside the front doors on both levels) and see if you want to eat there that night. If not, than the Pinnacle grill is open every night, but you need to make a reservation. I'd suggest to go to the Pinnacle on a casual night if you like to dress formal, or if you like to dress casual then go to the Pinnacle on formal nights. The Pinnacle is more formal than the main dining room on casual nights, but not as formal on formal nights.

Is it acceptable to wear formal wear (tux, evening gown) to the Pinnacle on any evening? Thanks!

First night with late reservations for 8:30 or 9:00. We get early seating upper in the dining room and join our tablemates for a glass of wine and appetizer. Then to the Pinnacle later.

Cheers

General Max

My DH and I will be sailing on the Zuiderdam and with HAL for the first time in Dec. How will we know which seating we have until after we arrive on the ship? I read in the brochure that we will find our seating time on a card in our stateroom.

I was hoping to make reservations for the Pinnacle for the first night and wanted to make the reservation later (or earlier) than our dinner time so we could stop by and meet our waiters and tablemates. We requested 6:15 p.m. for our first choice, but were put on a waitlist.

Thanks for your help.

Is it acceptable to wear formal wear (tux, evening gown) to the Pinnacle on any evening? Thanks!
It is certainly not inappropriate ... but unless it's a formal night you will likely be the only one so dressed. The announced ship's dress for the evening is applicable in the Pinnacle as well as the main dining room.

If your dining time is not yet confirmed, it will be the luck of the draw as to whether or not you can coordinate your first night Pinnacle meal with a visit to your main dining room table. There's probably a good chance you can make your first night reservation once you get onboard and determine your assigned seating.

Do side dishes include appetizers?

Hi, lgarner... The Volendam Pinnacle menu may be similar to Zuidy's, and is the same each night. Your shipboard account will be billed $20 pp ($10 pp on the first night) and it's suggested by many delighted Pinnacle diners that you tip about $5 pp in cash. There is no way to add it to the charge. Also, you may order any number of side dishes or desserts, but if you want another entrée, it's another $20.

I recommend the petit filet, planked halibut or planked shrimp, crème brulée and chocolate volcano.

Reservations can be made in advance at the Ship Services # below (immediately charged to your credit card), at the Pinnacle reception desk, or through your concierge. Make your rez early, as the preferred dining times fill up fast.

Candy <-- can't wait for August and our 5th Zuidy

It is certainly not inappropriate ... but unless it's a formal night you will likely be the only one so dressed. The announced ship's dress for the evening is applicable in the Pinnacle as well as the main dining room.

If your dining time is not yet confirmed, it will be the luck of the draw as to whether or not you can coordinate your first night Pinnacle meal with a visit to your main dining room table. There's probably a good chance you can make your first night reservation once you get onboard and determine your assigned seating.

Thanks for the reply. I read in a trip review that someone wore casual clothing (khaki's and a knit top with casual sandals) in the Pinnacle on the first night. Is this appropriate or acceptable attire for the first night?

I was under the impression that a jacket and tie must be worn in the alternative dining restaurant at all times.

Thanks.

The dress for the Pinnacle Grill is the same as in the dining room. If the dress for dinner is casual, the Pinnacle Grill is casual, if its formal then the Pinnacle Grill be as well.

Archived