Clothing question for Main Dining Room

CruisingLover

Hi

I was just curious as to what people wear in the main dining room for dinners? We will be on the Pearl to Alaska if that helps answer in any way :)

I've only ever cruised with RCCL to warmer climates and clothing in the main dining room for dinner ranged (for me anyway) from capri's to sundresses to formal wear (on their formal nights). I never wore jeans or shorts. I'm pretty sure I won't see anyone in shorts in the dining room but do people wear jeans? I need to know for myself and my family (hubby, sons and daughter). Is it better to wear nicer pants or maybe khaki or cargo pants for the guys? Would nice pants or leggings (for my daughter, not me!) be ok for girls?

While I'm at it, what about clothing for lunch?

Thanks so much!

For dinner you can wear nice jeans (no holes) in all the restaurants. For lunch you can wear shorts, jeans, capris, whatever as long as you're covered up. The buffet I think you can wear whatever. I saw plenty of people with just bathing suit cover ups in the buffet.

Hi

I was just curious as to what people wear in the main dining room for dinners? We will be on the Pearl to Alaska if that helps answer in any way :)

I've only ever cruised with RCCL to warmer climates and clothing in the main dining room for dinner ranged (for me anyway) from capri's to sundresses to formal wear (on their formal nights). I never wore jeans or shorts. I'm pretty sure I won't see anyone in shorts in the dining room but do people wear jeans? I need to know for myself and my family (hubby, sons and daughter). Is it better to wear nicer pants or maybe khaki or cargo pants for the guys? Would nice pants or leggings (for my daughter, not me!) be ok for girls?

Thanks so much!

As long as you are in accordance with the following clothing recommendations as specified in the NCL FAQ section - http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing - you should be fine.

Resort casual to formal dress is acceptable. I would not be concerned at all with what the other people wear as long as you are dressed resort casual as a minimum.

NCL does NOT have any formal dress required nights. On a 7 day cruise you will find a couple of Dress Up Or Not Nights. They are completely optional nights where more people may dress up more formally, but it is not required. The only real significance to those nights is that the Captain is available for photos in the Atrium on those nights.

If you want to dress up formally every single night of your cruise, do so.

If you want to dress resort casual every single night of your cruise, do so.

It is Freestyle after all.

Hi

Thanks so much!

I will be sailing the Pearl this summer to Alaska. If we are on the same cruise, you will see someone in the MDR in shorts, me. NCL has very lax dress standards on all ships. For dinner, only the aft MDR and Le Bistro require pants, jeans are fine. All other restaurants allow shorts. For lunch, just about anything goes, within reason.

My husband wears nice Jeans and a polo shirt to dinner in the mdr. I usually wear a nice blouse or dressy t and capris. There is a less formal mdr that will allow shorts. I have seen people be turned away from the more formal mdr for wearing shorts. We sail NCL because of the freestyle concept. My husband only wears a jacket and tie to funerals.

I will be sailing the Pearl this summer to Alaska. If we are on the same cruise, you will see someone in the MDR in shorts, me. NCL has very lax dress standards on all ships. For dinner, only the aft MDR and Le Bistro require pants, jeans are fine. All other restaurants allow shorts. For lunch, just about anything goes, within reason.

We ate most meals in the small dining room (Aqua) & didn't realize the larger dining room had any dress requirements. DH always wear long pants at dinner so it's not a problem but if he ever decides to chill, I'll make sure we go to the right dining room!!

Hi

Thanks so much!

I'm pretty sure you are going to see people in shorts and jeans in the MDR. You will also see people dressed up. Our last NCL Epic cruise had the most casual dressed cruisers I have ever seen on any of our cruises and shorts and jeans are allowed in at least one of the MDRs. There was also a good mix of those dressed in khakis and girls in dresses, skirts, leggings, pants, shorts and those who dressed to the max. It was freestyle so people pretty much wore what they wanted, with in the dress code of course.

One of the things we love about NCL is you can dress how you feel and no one makes you feel uncomfortable if you are all dressed up like you are going to the ball (some enjoy taking formal pictures while on board) or casual dress. Hint: we are the ones not in the formal clothing but enjoy seeing others enjoying dressing up for dinner. I know my DH has dress up clothes somewhere hidden in our house:D

Nice jeans and a polo shirt for guys will work in any restaurant at any time on an NCL ship. Shorts will work any time except the aft dining room or Le Bistro at dinner.

So what was typical? Actually, it was pretty darned similar to what I see at restaurants here on land. Most wore pants (as opposed to shorts), and most wore a nicer shirt than just a t-shirt. The buffet was way more on the casual side of the scale (more shorts than pants), and the specialty restaurants tended to be nicer (more dockers and less jeans).

I have been in the MDR for dinner and some gents came in in shorts and sandals and there wasn't an issue. I have also been when someone was turned away wearing the same attire. I for one don't wear shorts to dinner no matter where I dine. However, I wish I could because I hate to wear long pants when I am on vacation to a warm climate

For me at dinner, I usually go with a nice pair of pressed khaki's and a polo shirt. Lunch, is usually cargo shorts and a nice short sleeve shirt or polo. Since dress up night is optional, I will wear a blazer and a collared shirt, depending on my mood of that day. I once went all James Bond and did a tux and that was fun for a few hours....

Hi

I think people missed the word "Alaska" :) We took the Pearl to Alaska and somehow I don't think you'll need much in the way of shorts or sundresses there .... but the northwest is very casual and jeans or slacks are always okay. You will see people dressed-up at times, but possibly less than in other cruise areas.

Archived