Sterling Steak House

Now that Princess has the Sterling Steak House can someone who has eaten there on a different ship give me the low down?

What is offered? What is included for the $15 Can you order 2 steaks (yikes) if you wanted? Is it someplace you'd want to go for formal night? If you go on the second formal night can you get your steak and the lobster?

Thanks!

We ate at Sterlings during our May 28 CB cruise. The appetizer choices were shrimp cocktail (huge shrimp), clam chowder, and a blooming onion and something with cheese. There was a cesar salad or you could have a second appetizer if you so chose. The steaks included an 8 oz and 10 oz filet, rib eye, and a 22 oz porterhouse. The steaks were brought out on a cart and you could choose. The steaks came with a baked potato or fries if you prefer and you could also have a corn casserole or creamed spinach if you wanted. For dessert I remember raspberry creme brulee, chocolate pecan pie, peach cobbler and chocolate pecan pie. I don't know if you can order a second steak since I could hardly waddle away from the table when I was finished.

I'm glad to see to you mentioned the chocolate pecan pie twice. It's so good it bears repeating. I've always found the meal large enough that ordering extras has never been a consideration.

BTW - if you want good lobster, Sabatini's is the place. For some reason, our waiter decided we should each have a lobster tail to go with our main course orders. They were quite large, not the little tidbits normally served in the main dining room. My wife doesn't like lobster, so I had to finish both (quite a task after a Sabatini's visit). Darn.

Wow that is chowing down. lol We were on board a few weeks back on the Caribbean Princess. Conrad at the Sterling is great he remembered us from the year before. And Conrad the waiter ( two Conrads both from Poland) is a super waiter too. I really liked the Spinach and Artichoke Dip myself. I had to try the 22 oz Poterhouse the second time we went. .....mmmmmmmmmm big sigh.................. yep I did it just cause it had to be done..... I straved myself all day too.........well like down to 4 or five meals that day :)

You are making me very hungry. I can't wait for our cruise. Did you tip the waiters at Sterling, or is the tip included in the $15.00 pp?

Ate at Sterling's on the Star in March. I asked about the tip and the waiter told me it was included...not to worry about it.

By the way, the food was really good and worth the cover charge in my opinion. The house red wine was also very good and reasonably priced (I can't remember the brand).

I reread my original message and what I meant to say was now that the DIAMOND has Sterling Steak House - not that it was unclear to anyone else but it bugged me that I wrote it wrong!

I am now starving and my 16 year old wants a porterhouse for dinner TONIGHT. Told him he'd have to wait for the cruise so he's making mac and cheese - not a very good substitute.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the menu from the Dawn Princess. On the Star Princess in December, it was similiar but no blooming onion:

----------------------------------------------

I took a picture of the menu on the Dawn Princess and here are the details (with out the fine print). I will eventually post the picture but thought I would post the menu since many have asked about it recently.

Menu Selection:

Succulent Shrimp Cocktail

Blooming Onion

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Caesar Salad

Hearty Chili Con Carne

Our Steaks are the finest center cut from Sterling Corn Fed Beef:

New York Steak (12 oz)

Bone-in New York Steak (16 oz)

Ribeye (12 oz)

Filet Mignon (2 different sizes 8 oz and 10 oz)

Porterhouse (22 oz)

Baked Barbeque Chicken (tender half chicken with smoked applewood)

Steaks are seasoned with rock salt and black pepper and grilled to order. Entrees served with a choice of Satueed Mushrooms, Corn Casserole or Creamed Spinach and a baked potato or french fries.

Dessert:

Georgia Peach Cobbler

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Creme Brulee

Fresh Fruit tartlet

----

$15/per person.

Your post is for the ultimate balcony dinner, do you have sterlings? I did not see it on your site, maybe I'm still 1/2 a sleep and missed it.

Nope I should have been asleep instead of trying to post replies in the middle of the night. Sorry I had the wrong menu and don't have the Sterlings menu. :(

Bill

We ate at Sterling's on the CP in Jan 05 and found it be very good. Unfortunately I guess we anticipated more from the experience as it just didn't live up to all the hype even though it was still very good. I guess we were looking for something exceptional to which it really wasn't.

Would we do it again.... probably not, however I would recommend eating there once just to try it out for yourself.

Enjoy..........

Dan

We ate at Sterling's on the CP in Jan 05 and found it be very good. Unfortunately I guess we anticipated more from the experience as it just didn't live up to all the hype even though it was still very good. I guess we were looking for something exceptional to which it really wasn't.

Would we do it again.... probably not, however I would recommend eating there once just to try it out for yourself.

Enjoy..........

Dan

Yo, Dan!

Is it really you? How are you and your beautiful wife, L'Anne and the pups, Tanner, and Zoe? Hope all is well in Pickering.

It's true that Sterling Steakhouse is nice but not all it's cracked up to be; it's not Ruth's Chris and definitely not Oro. We've already decided to skip SS on our January, 2006 cruise, but we will try to visit Cafe Caribe for the seafood extravaganza at sailaway. I think we actually enjoyed Sabatini's more (Star and Golden), but it's too much food for either of us.

We celebrated our 34th anniversary on Mackinac Island this past weekend (with Rhett) and hope to be on the Diamond Princess (Alaska) next year for our 35th.

Send us an email and let us know how you are and what you're doing.

Chris & Mike

Our CB Sterling experience was similar to some of those above. Excellent chocolate pecan pie and clam chowder, but the sides and the steak were OK but not top steak house quality. Worth one try but would not do it again.

Les

Our CB Sterling experience was similar to some of those above. Excellent chocolate pecan pie and clam chowder, but the sides and the steak were OK but not top steak house quality. Worth one try but would not do it again.

Les

I agree with you.

I have eaten here 2x - once on the Sun Princess when the price was $8 and once on the Star Princess when we paid $15 pp.

I am from cow country (Nebraska) and we get excellent steaks here. I did think my steak (rib eye on both occasions) was excellent quality and prepared perfectly, I wasn't overly thrilled with the side dishes at the restaurant.

For some reason - I didn't mind paying the $8 but thought it was too much (extra fee) on a cruise for $15 though one would be hard pressed to get a good rib eye in our area for under $15 so the price isn't unrealistic.

I think Chops on RCCL does a better job - on Princess, they think of SS as more of a cowboy place while on Chops - it is more of an upscale steakhouse.

Also, on the Star Princess in December - they also had "Catch of the Day" also and someone at our table ordered it and raved about it - sorry can't remember what it was.

Just off the Dawn....I was hesitant because they just rope off the one side of the Horizon court, but it was so nice...outstanding service, and watching the whales blow on Glacier Bay made the evening. Had the shrimp cocktail..huge 3 shrimp, clam chowder in a bread bowl, great steaks, and peach cobbler...was worth the $15.

On Pacific Princess (new), Tahiti to Sydney, 11-03, the Sterling Steakhouse, open alternate nights, was excellent.

I had the small filet, and it was cooked just the way I love it - charred rare.

My wife had the prime rib, carved from a trolley at the table, and it also was very good/excellent.

We thought the meal well worth the extra $15.00 per person.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived