Drink Package Worth it?

Is freestyle available on all ships! I'm on liberty departing this Sunday and we are getting the premium alcohol package but also like are fanta! Tried to see about booking freestyle as well but on a cruise planner there is only a soda fountain option!

First time cruisers so abit clueless :)

Is freestyle available on all ships! I'm on liberty departing this Sunday and we are getting the premium alcohol package but also like are fanta! Tried to see about booking freestyle as well but on a cruise planner there is only a soda fountain option!

First time cruisers so abit clueless :)

No, Freestyle is not on all ships. So far only Freedom, Enchantment, Majesty, Oasis, Allure, and Explorer.

I did it on a spring cruise with my wife (out of NOLA), I won't do it again.

Port days made it difficult to break even. Some say this shouldn't be the point, but I spend a lot of money on cruises each year so I try to use it wisely. Additionally, about 5 days in my wife was tired of drinking and slowed down a bit. At the end of the week we probably drank about 75% of the "value" of the package.

The restrictions are another issue; I'd rather they have a price ceiling for the drinks like Carnival does (which is any drink that is $10 or less).

That being said, it was worth trying once to be adventurous and to see if the numbers worked out. I drank whatever I felt like drinking on my recent Oasis cruise and my bar bill was nowhere near the cost of the package for the week.

Replace the restrictions with a per-drink limit and throw in coffee in the cafe and I may reconsider my position. The coffee bit will never happen of course given how much money those drinks make.

Hi All!

I am torn between booking or not with Royal Caribbean. A 16 day cruise, their drink package would come out to $ 1760.00./for 2.:( Has anyone used this package? Was it worth it? Does anyone have a price list of their drinks on board? Would much appreciate all of your comments.:)

Hi

When they first started trialling these packages 2 years ago in Europe we took it (was cheaper then though) and definitely saved money! As for getting the wine refilled in the dining room, we weren't even finished our glass when they asked of we wanted more!

We're going on a 7 day cruise in 5 weeks and I'll be taking the package again as we like some frozen cocktails or beers during the day some wine with the dinner and then some cosmopolitans or appletinis at night. The martins are $10 without the 15% gratuity added, the house wine (I like the rose which is Beriginer whie Zinfandel!) is about $6 before gratuity a glass and the frozen cocktails are $7+ each!

I think we'll at least break even if not save money!

I am interested in your response here. My family and I are going on our first RCCL cruise (Oasis) May 2014. It will be my husband (non- drinker) Myself, I love Berringer White zinfandel and a few mixed drinks throughout the day. My 2 sons age 17 and 20. Both boys enjoy soda here and there. Is there any package that fits our needs, or would we be better off purchasing all drinks separately?

We have only cruised Disney in the past and soda was unlimited, and You can bring on the ship as much wine as you want as long as it fits in your carry on luggage. So, this is all new to me. What would you do???

I think the best thing about the drinks package is simply you know how much your drinks will cost you. No bill shock at the end of the cruise. Simply add the cost into your budget.

RCI won't have it if they weren't making a profit from it

I heard that if you bring a medical certificate for the person in the cabin whom does not drink then you both do not have to buy but of course that depends on the non drinker having a medical reason for not drinking.

I am interested in your response here. My family and I are going on our first RCCL cruise (Oasis) May 2014. It will be my husband (non- drinker) Myself, I love Berringer White zinfandel and a few mixed drinks throughout the day. My 2 sons age 17 and 20. Both boys enjoy soda here and there. Is there any package that fits our needs, or would we be better off purchasing all drinks separately?

We have only cruised Disney in the past and soda was unlimited, and You can bring on the ship as much wine as you want as long as it fits in your carry on luggage. So, this is all new to me. What would you do???

You should not purchase a package of any kind. Pay for your drinks as you go. If your boys only drink soda occasionally do not buy the cup. I never buy it for my kids. They are fine with lemonade or tea. Your boys will not want to drag that cup around.

I understand freestyle machines require the cup, but does RCCL put a sticker on your SeaPass card indicating you have a soda package to the bartenders? Or no cup, no soda?

Yes, they put a sticker on your card indicating the soda package. No, you do NOT need the cup to order from the bartenders. The cup has a chip in it that is only required if using the special soda machines.

I understand freestyle machines require the cup, but does RCCL put a sticker on your SeaPass card indicating you have a soda package to the bartenders? Or no cup, no soda?

The difference is that the cup has access to the Freesytle machine with 100 flavors of soda. Without the cup, about 6 choices of soda.

I've had the same bartender have me sign for 1 drink but not the next.

I never paid attention if it was beers I had to sign for, which would make sense since those are an inventory item, or liquor which probably doesn't need tracked (nearly as closely) on a per-drink basis.

Welcome on CC Prewitt !

I am also interested if someone will tell us if we have to sign any receipt or giving the card is sufficient.:)

Yes, they put a sticker on your card indicating the soda package. No, you do NOT need the cup to order from the bartenders. The cup has a chip in it that is only required if using the special soda machines.

The difference is that the cup has access to the Freesytle machine with 100 flavors of soda. Without the cup, about 6 choices of soda.

Thanks for the replies :-)

• 1 month later...
We still have the package & will be tracking expenditure to see if it was worth it for the 10 day cruise.

Tycho Cat

We boarded Radiance & I was concerned whether I would be happy with the wine. Guest relations suggested I ordered a glass of white wine & sparkling to see what I thought. I ddnt like them, cancelled the package & bought 12 bottles of wine with the wine & dine package for 10 days. We ordered drinks when we wanted, cocktails, coronas etc. ddnt holdb ack at all, after the 10 days we were $300 better off & we still had 5 bottles of wine left for the next leg, we were doing back2 back.

Hope this helps

We boarded Radiance & I was concerned whether I would be happy with the wine. Guest relations suggested I ordered a glass of white wine & sparkling to see what I thought. I ddnt like them, cancelled the package & bought 12 bottles of wine with the wine & dine package for 10 days. We ordered drinks when we wanted, cocktails, coronas etc. ddnt holdb ack at all, after the 10 days we were $300 better off & we still had 5 bottles of wine left for the next leg, we were doing back2 back.

Hope this helps

Now I'm swinging back the other way and thinking maybe not getting it.......decisions decisions

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Archived