Budgeting

stephlovesdogs

Would love some help determining how to budget for the trip. We are on a 10 day cruise on Riviera in December. Specifically:

• airfare- that is easy.
  • Drinks- I know liquor is extra, but what about specialty coffees or other beverages? Other than liquor, is there anything else to think about?
  • Gratuities- how much should we budget for that? I think I heard $15 per person per day- that would be $300 for 2 for a 10 day cruise- does that sound right?
  • Are there any other expenses on the ship other than gratuities and liquor (not including shopping)?
  • Shore excursions- is $100 per person per excursion reasonable?
  • Anything else we should think of?

Much obliged,

Stepahnie

You can check to see the price of excursions on the Oceania website. They tend to be pricey, so if you are planning to book them through the ship I would budget more. You may want to check out the CC roll call for your particular cruise and see if there are private excursions you want to join. Or set up some and post them for others.

Would love some help determining how to budget for the trip. We are on a 10 day cruise on Riviera in December. Specifically:

• airfare- that is easy.
  • Drinks- I know liquor is extra, but what about specialty coffees or other beverages? Other than liquor, is there anything else to think about?
  • Gratuities- how much should we budget for that? I think I heard $15 per person per day- that would be $300 for 2 for a 10 day cruise- does that sound right?
  • Are there any other expenses on the ship other than gratuities and liquor (not including shopping)?
  • Shore excursions- is $100 per person per excursion reasonable?
  • Anything else we should think of?

Much obliged,

Stepahnie

The private tours are the way to go. Usually cheaper and more comprehensive.

BTW: Riviera has 2 10-day cruises in December. Not sure which one is yours but here are the links for the roll calls:

December 12 “Sun Splashed Isles”

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755607

December 2 “Reefs and Ruins”

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821470

Specialty coffees and all non alcoholic beverages are included. You might want to consider a beverage package for alcohol and wine so you have a definitive cost per day (either $35 or $55 depending on which package.)

And I agree completely that private tours are the way to go Much cheaper and more convenient than ships' tours. In some ports you can even walk around on your own or hire a taxi for a few hours at a fraction of the cost of a ship's tour.

for shipboard charges no spa, and not counting the pd$15 ( which on many cruises in included mainly longer ones) I budget about $100 to $125 a day for 2 for a 30 day cruise.

Shore ex from the ship are going to be pricy... and range from a low of $150 to $300 pp As an example a tour offered as a private tour not through the ship that costs $60.. was priced through the ship at $156pp ..

The drinks package can reduce that and 4 drinks/wine a day and you pay for it !!! Remember it includes 18% tips already.....

Self-serve laundry is $2. Cooking classes are extra but worth it.

Check also the FAQ on the website -

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

What is your gratuity policy?

FOR SAILINGS PRIOR TO THE 2013-14 WINTER SEASON:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $14.50 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $20.50 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

FOR SAILINGS BEGINNING WITH THE 2013-14 WINTER SEASON:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $15.00 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $22.00 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

It needs to be noted here that many of the Rules regarding Gratuities are specific to where and when the Passenger books the cruise. They are NOT UNIVERSAL.

Tipping-wide.jpg

In fact, there are exceptions to the stated Policy even for those of us in North America.

As an example, on those Cruises where Gratuities are paid by Oceania (commonly known as Prepaid Gratuities), the amount of the tip may not be reduced at the passengers discretion.

Archived