NEVER BOOK a Guarantee on NCL because

LucyR.

Thanks everyone. I had booked 2 gty cabins for a cruise on the Jade in July. Having read the thread I decided to book a cabin on deck 10 cost me £200. well worth it. Just goes to prove how usefule these forums are.

Guarantee cabins are offered at a discount because the passenger gets the left-overs -- simple as that! I'm a total control freak and research to death the cabins on any given ship before booking. That's why I am always happy!:D:D:D

I just wanted to warn people about the GTY problem that people have to face if they book a GTY.

I am so happy that you read this topic and realized that the GTY wouldn't work for you and your family. The cruiseline would have assigned you whatever they wanted to give you.

There were lots of wonderful people here who had great helpful information.

Some people here made it clear to me that I should be happy that I got a

porthole on deck 4. I have accepted to be happy on deck 4. I am cruising solo

and this problem only affected old lady ME.

I want to thank all of the happy cruisers here for their helpful advise. LucyR.

Ohh my sister and I are taking our parents with us on our next cruise which is a Pac Coastal but starting in Vancouver and ending in California - also on the Jewel. They are people who said they would never take a cruise so we shall see how they like it.

Have a great trip Lucy!

I WANTED AN OBSTRUCTED VIEW CABIN and I paid for it. Instead I got put into a cabin on deck 4 near the Medical Center. NCL thinks they are giving me an upgrade by giving me a cabin with a small porthole on the bottom deck.

I wanted an obstructed view on deck 8 and I thought it didn't matter what cabin would be chosen for me on the obstructed view deck.

Now.... I am stuck on deck 4 on the NCL Jewel, May 8, 2013. Rates went down for windows on deck 4 and I am losing money. They don't plan to refund me any money or GIVE ME ship board credit for being put on a lower rate cabin.

At this late date there is nothing I can do but hope that once I get on the ship

the Hotel manager will take pity on me and move me to an upper deck.

If not....it will be the last time I cruise on a NCL SHIP.

I also plan to change travel agents too because he didn't fight for me.

I see you are looking to assign blame for this situation but honestly, you have no one to blame but yourself. That's a hard pill to swallow but an honest one. I always book a specific cabin in a specific location and indicate "no upgrades". Saving a few dollars isn't worth disappointment for me but the good news is that it is a lesson learned, perhaps the hard way. If you were willing to except "whatever" within the guidelines for a GTY category, then it is a great way to save a few dollars. Please don't blame NCL because it could happen on any line. It's just the nature of the beast; this time the beast bit, and you were left wondering why. Don't climb any fences at the zoo. (sorry, couldn't help that one.)

The other good news is that perhaps money can save you. You will probably lose big time on this but your trip won't be ruined because I think you will have a hard time overcoming the negative feelings on the floor and porthole window. Spend the money, upgrade your cabin, don't look back. Have a good time.

GTYs are a gamble. I asked long ago what this was on CC. Didn't like the answers I got so we NEVER do a GTY. I book well in advance and pick our cabin by location. Generally stick to ones with cabins over and under. We were asked to move once but refused with no issue as it was an upgrade but was over a lounges bandstand, no way.

Well just think of it as lesson learned, no such thing as a bad cruise (we make our own good times). And dump the TA, he should have made sure you were aware of any chance of location you may be unhappy with.

Have a great day and cruise. Smile in a few weeks you will be onboard having a great time.

I am very sorry that you are not happy with your upgrade. I never book anything unless it is the cabin I want. I, like you it seems, prefer a specific type of cabin and will settle for nothing less. I am not happy unless in a suite or at the very least a balcony cabin. If I can't get either, I will change my sailing plans...

Best of luck and I hope you still enjoy your cruise.:)

Lucy,

You sound like you have experienced many cruises though I cannot tell because you have not listed them in your signature. I also apologize for any of my snarky comments as you seem to care for the crew. That being said, on your past cruises did you book an assigned cabin where you knew you would be happy? I am wondering why you chose this time to go with a guaranty? Was the price that much cheaper? I am also surprised that you did not search this forum before you booked a guaranty because everyone knows that this forum has better information that many TA's and NCL themselves.

I am sure you will have a great Solo cruise and hopefully this situation will not ruin your entire cruise as there are great crew members on deck 4 as well. One last note, many people who use TA's get OBC etc, Didn't yours? At the very least your TA should be getting some OBC as a gift for your troubles since they are the ones who apparently did not explain the guaranty properly to you.

Lucy,

I am glad you have decided to take this as a learning experience and I saw that you have already helped someone by coming here to tell your story. I also applaud you for your gifts to the crew.:) I may have missed it in the thread but have you called your TA to see if you can change cabins? As you said NCL is still advertising the obstructed view cabins on a guarantee so there should be cabins left in that category.

I wouldn't give up hope until the ship is sold out. I sail on May 7 and just this past week I was able to upgrade my cabin from a balcony to a mini suite and then to a large family suite for just $20 more than I paid for the balcony cabin (I was lucky:D) Have that TA keep looking and working to get you in a better cabin. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Well, that sucks.

I guess when booking a GTY, you have to make sure that you're okay with being in that cabin, as well as each category of stateroom above it. We booked a GTY once on Princess and didn't get an upgrade, but were cool with our cabin assignments. However, we did book two cabins and they ended up on opposite ends of the ship which wasn't really a problem, but from now on, we'll probably just choose our cabin location.

GTYs are a gamble. And for what - a saved $30?

I agree,GTY's are a gamble.I am booked on the Breakaway,booked the room I wanted but had to add a fourth a few weeks later.I did not want the room they wanted to assign us,so I went with the GTY.I ended up with a M6 with the large balcony,it wasn't my choice but it looks like the M6's will be pretty cool with his large balcony so close to the water:)

Lucy,

I am glad you have decided to take this as a learning experience and I saw that you have already helped someone by coming here to tell your story. I also applaud you for your gifts to the crew.:) I may have missed it in the thread but have you called your TA to see if you can change cabins? As you said NCL is still advertising the obstructed view cabins on a guarantee so there should be cabins left in that category.

I wouldn't give up hope until the ship is sold out. I sail on May 7 and just this past week I was able to upgrade my cabin from a balcony to a mini suite and then to a large family suite for just $20 more than I paid for the balcony cabin (I was lucky:D) Have that TA keep looking and working to get you in a better cabin. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Congratulations on your upgrade, mysticks. But please rethink your input about selling gty and cabin availability. NCL can and does sell guarantees in the OX or OKcategories even though no OX or OK cabins are available. NCL can do that because they can assigned any cabin in that category or higher, as Lucy experienced. the advice to watch cabin availability and to watch for upgrade opportunities is sound, and maybe Lucy will luck out.

Congratulations on your upgrade, mysticks. But please rethink your input about selling gty and cabin availability. NCL can and does sell guarantees in the OX or OKcategories even though no OX or OK cabins are available. NCL can do that because they can assigned any cabin in that category or higher, as Lucy experienced. the advice to watch cabin availability and to watch for upgrade opportunities is sound, and maybe Lucy will luck out.

Sorry if my wording bothered you. What I meant is there are still cabins available and as people upgrade there may be cabins that she can switch to and maybe into a higher category. I picked up the mini suite that one of our roll call vacated as they upgraded and the same thing with the family suite. The one I changed to wasn't available the few days before but became available as someone else upgraded when the prices dropped.

Sorry if my wording bothered you. What I meant is there are still cabins available and as people upgrade there may be cabins that she can switch to and maybe into a higher category. I picked up the mini suite that one of our roll call vacated as they upgraded and the same thing with the family suite. The one I changed to wasn't available the few days before but became available as someone else upgraded when the prices dropped.

now I understand what you meant. there is an obstructed cabin will become available due to a cancellation or upgrade. and if the pricing structure is favorable to Lucy, maybe they will let her "downgrade" to the cabin she desires. I hope so...it is wonderful to read happy cabin stories like yours.

Hello Everybody! I called NCL and talked with a really nice representative who is totally aware of what happened to me. They do have a record of me

being handicapped and are willing to change my cabin on deck 4.

I prefer to stay with the cabin I finally chose on deck 4. What is really important to me is that they are aware that I am cruising solo and that I am special needs. I have nobody to cruise with me so it makes me feel better that NCL is aware of my medical problems. Plus I do wear an emergency bracelet with med info. and telephone #'s of my adult son to

call in case of an emergency.

It was fun talking with you all. I feel better now. Yes, it was my fault in not doing my research on GTY's. This is why I am warning people to watch out for GTY'S. I always try to book a cabin instead of a GTY. LucyR.

Hello Everybody! I called NCL and talked with a really nice representative who is totally aware of what happened to me. They do have a record of me

being handicapped and are willing to change my cabin on deck 4.

I prefer to stay with the cabin I finally chose on deck 4......

That is wonderful news, I am glad that you were able to change. I hope you can get ready for a wonderful cruise without being stressed about your cabin. Have a great time!

Booked an inside guarantee on the Sun. I was willing to take the smallest cabin on the ship and all the traffic noise. I did not realize I could have been put into an obstructed porthole cabin when I made resevation. I though it would be to much of an upgrade. The wait is now over an my cabin is a family inside on deck 8. The two of us will enjoy the extra elbow room.:) I guess sometimes you get lucky. Oh yeah the OBC doesn't hurt either.:D

Booked an inside guarantee on the Sun. I was willing to take the smallest cabin on the ship and all the traffic noise. I did not realize I could have been put into an obstructed porthole cabin when I made resevation. I though it would be to much of an upgrade. The wait is now over an my cabin is a family inside on deck 8. The two of us will enjoy the extra elbow room.:) I guess sometimes you get lucky. Oh yeah the OBC doesn't hurt either.:D

This is a great illustration that for the correct cruiser with happy, flexible attitude a gty booking can be a win-win situation. As long as the cruiser can happily accept the worst cabin and the cruiser gets a great price by using gty, a gty booking is terrific. OTOH, if somebody needs (or wants) a specific location or dislikes noise or dislikes traffic or hates fill-in-the-blank, a gty is a mistake. have a nice cruise pickle.

This is a great illustration that for the correct cruiser with happy, flexible attitude a gty booking can be a win-win situation. As long as the cruiser can happily accept the worst cabin and the cruiser gets a great price by using gty, a gty booking is terrific. OTOH, if somebody needs (or wants) a specific location or dislikes noise or dislikes traffic or hates fill-in-the-blank, a gty is a mistake. have a nice cruise pickle.
Thank you kind words Let's face it, I got lucky. Now since we sail in 3 weeks, my next objective is to upgrade to a balcony at a resonable (cheap ) price. And with prices falling, who knows?:rolleyes:

Archived