NEVER BOOK a Guarantee on NCL because

LucyR.

I WANTED AN OBSTRUCTED VIEW CABIN and I paid for it. Instead I got put into a cabin on deck 4 near the Medical Center. NCL thinks they are giving me an upgrade by giving me a cabin with a small porthole on the bottom deck.

I wanted an obstructed view on deck 8 and I thought it didn't matter what cabin would be chosen for me on the obstructed view deck.

Now.... I am stuck on deck 4 on the NCL Jewel, May 8, 2013. Rates went down for windows on deck 4 and I am losing money. They don't plan to refund me any money or GIVE ME ship board credit for being put on a lower rate cabin.

At this late date there is nothing I can do but hope that once I get on the ship

the Hotel manager will take pity on me and move me to an upper deck.

If not....it will be the last time I cruise on a NCL SHIP.

I also plan to change travel agents too because he didn't fight for me.

Shame the OP didn't do their homework.

So, OP, how are you losing money? You got upgraded from an OK or OX to an OG room. A guarantee just says you get your category or higher. You got higher.

it will be the last time I cruise on a NCL SHIP.

That's where you lose me- 1) this would likely happen with most other cruise lines and 2) you received a higher category cabin. I booked guarentee on our first cruise and got a cabin that we didn't care for, so I resolved never to book a guarentee cabin again. Had nothing to do with the cruise line.

Well, if your travel agent did not try to explain that you could be assigned any cabin in your category or any cabin in a higher category, than you should indeed get a new travel agent.

Though you may not like your deck, you did get an upgrade. NCL did keep it's end of the bargain. when prices drop on your category after final payment you do not get money back, but when prices drop on better categories, you may be able to pay to upgrade to a better cabin. If being on a higher deck is important to you, maybe you should pay to upgrade to a balcony cabin.

the odds are the ship will be full when she sails, so the hotel director may not have the option to upgrade you. so if you really want an upgrade, pull out your credit card and pay for one soon.

I think the important point here, as has been stated before, is making sure you book a guarantee at a grade level you would be happy with. I booked a GTY cabin on Breakaway, for a BX Balcony cabin. Believe me, i was under no illusion as to where i would be put, and had prepared for the worst (deck 8, near the action, and directly above the theatre). If i would be happy there, i would be happy anywhere. As luck has it, i am on deck 10 in a "hump" balcony, so this worked out better than i could have imagined. We are on the starboard side (so no sunrise/sunset on our TA to NYC), and my DH is unhappy about that, but thats the gamble you have when you book a GTY cabin.

Spurious comment from someone who didn't understand that booking a guarantee means that for a cheaper price the cruiseline can put you in any cabin anywhere on the ship that is of that category or higher. What the OP wanted was a specific cabin but decided to save a few dollars on a gamble that some would see as a sucess and some, the OP, see as a fail. That said what I really don't like is the petulant, childish empty threat that if NCL don't do what the OP wants they will take their business elsewhere. Foot stamping for not getting your own way.

OP needs to speak with their travel agent as they clearly did not explain what a guarantee cabin really is and the potential pitfalls. There is nothing for the TA to fight for as the OP got what they asked for; a cabin in a particular category or higher.

As for prices changing the cruise I an next on has fallen almost $500 per person for the sailing we are booked on but I am happy as I understand that I agreed to pay that price at the outset and have exactly the cabin I chose.

I don't understand how you got into a GTY situation if you wanted only an obstructed view cabin on deck 8? This seems like a miscommunication with your TA. When you agreed to accept a GTY booking, you agreed to not only be put into any OV cabin on deck 8 but to also allow NCL to put you in any room that was a higher catagory than the one you paid for. Your TA should have explained this. You won't likely be able to change your room once on board. The only option I see at this point, is to look at the cabin catagories that are above the one you are in now and pay the extra to upgrade to whichever you'd be happy with. Although if you stay in the deck 4 cabin I think you'll find it to be fine. I'm not sure from what you say what your objection is to the porthole cabin. It will likely look identical to the OV cabin. People often don't like the idea of being in the "depths of the ship" but these days, with elevators, it's not an issue. If you didn't know which deck you were on it would be hard to guess. People who are prone to get seasick book lower decks intentionally because there is less motion so at least you would get the benefit of a smoother ride. I wouldn't give up on booking GTY cabins in the future. I started with a window room on deck 5 which was the cheapest room I'd be happy with. When the prices dropped, I paid a small amount to upgrade into the cheapest GTY balcony on deck 9 which I also would have been happy with. NCL gave me a 4 catagory upgrade to a midship balcony on deck 11 which I'm VERY happy with and which, even with all the price drops, is still selling for a lot more than what I paid. GTY's can be great. You just need to know what you are buying. Good luck!

Because you did not understand what a Gty is that is Ncls fault? I would find a travel agent who would make these things clear...not to mention there is so many posts here about the downfalls of booking GTY. Have a great cruise either way.

I WANTED AN OBSTRUCTED VIEW CABIN and I paid for it. Instead I got put into a cabin on deck 4 near the Medical Center. NCL thinks they are giving me an upgrade by giving me a cabin with a small porthole on the bottom deck.

I wanted an obstructed view on deck 8 and I thought it didn't matter what cabin would be chosen for me on the obstructed view deck.

Now.... I am stuck on deck 4 on the NCL Jewel, May 8, 2013. Rates went down for windows on deck 4 and I am losing money. They don't plan to refund me any money or GIVE ME ship board credit for being put on a lower rate cabin.

At this late date there is nothing I can do but hope that once I get on the ship

You've been a member here since 2009 and don't understand how a guarantee cabin works :confused:

I get that you don't like your upgrade...but why the heck would you book a guarantee if you absolutely had your heart set on a specific cabin? Normally when you book a guarantee, you book a category, NOT a cabin. And in all my years of cruising, I have never seen anyone who booked a guarantee NOT get upgrded to the next category.

NCL gave you exactly what you agreed to by booking a GTY. Your travel agent should have explained it. This topic is covered over and over here on CC.

If you want a specific room, specific location, or specific category, don't book a GTY.

If you will be happy with any room in that category and any possible room above that category regardless of location, and you can get a better price this way, then go ahead and book a GTY.

This guarantee concept would not work for me. I book far in advance and pick my cabin based on location. I am sorry OP is disappointed. That being said, OP should call her travel agent ASAP and see if there is any availability to upgrade to another cabin. It should only be about $20 or $30. OP do yourself a favor, do not wait until you are onboard when the ship may be sailing at full capacity. Rectify this situation now. Best of Luck! :)

OP, the rates on higher categories have probably drop to less than you paid for your GTY. Why not calmly ask your TA again to contact NCL and ask for an upgrade. I was able to do that once when booking with an online TA, and every NCL cruise since that I've booked directly, as recently as a couple days ago when my BX GTY hadn't been assigned but the BA price dropped so I called and got confirmed in the BA at no charge. Just try again.

Well, that sucks.

I guess when booking a GTY, you have to make sure that you're okay with being in that cabin, as well as each category of stateroom above it. We booked a GTY once on Princess and didn't get an upgrade, but were cool with our cabin assignments. However, we did book two cabins and they ended up on opposite ends of the ship which wasn't really a problem, but from now on, we'll probably just choose our cabin location.

GTYs are a gamble. And for what - a saved $30?

Obviously you do not understand the "guarantee" booking. You are 100% to blame. This is like same song, second verse, or rather 100th verse.

IF YOU ARE PARTICULAR ABOUT YOUR CABIN IN ANY WAY, CHOOSE IT, DON'T BOOK GUARANTEE, AT A COST BREAK, AND WHINE WHEN YOU GET SOMETHNG YOU DON'T WANT.

It is simple, really.

I had the same problem with my upcoming Breakaway cruise. I had a mid ship mini-suite gty. I was "upgraded" to a 12 floor Family mini-suite, right next to the kid’s area. We are 50 something’s traveling without kids and I did not want the upgrade. I called my PCC (we booked directly). He told me the NCL would not move us. I was not happy and I learned my lesson, never book a gty again. When I called my PCC to make final payment I again asked if there was any way I could refuse the upgrade and he said sure, no problem and moved us to a mid-ship mini on 11. I don’t know why they would not do this when I first asked, but I am happy.

Why don’t you try and get your TA to call again and maybe they will get a different response from NCL.

Good Luck

Goodness - cannot believe you feel you should waste the Hotel Manager's time on an issue, which you yourself brought about. You took a chance, tried to save a few quid, and lost out. Had you been upgraded, would you take time out of your cruise to go to the Hotel Manager to give a fifteen minute spiel on thanking them.

You want a specific cabin - do what the other 90% of cruisers do, pay the price and book it.

You have over a thousand posts here - you obviously know plenty about cruising and guarantees. I have never booked a GTY ever - I guess if ever a GTY suite had ever been an option for me I might well have booked it. I have never in all my years, seen a GTY an an option for an of our cruises.

Learn from it and go enjoy your cruise. You got what you paid for and absolutely do not waste the Hotel Manager's time with petty issues.

Personally I am against free upgrades of any kind. I think its unfair on folks who go with the cabin they want at the budget they can afford. I have had people brag to me on certain cruiselines about the price they paid last minute - enfuriates one who has paid full price. I believe early booking and loyalty should offer the best price - a guarantee is a guarantee - and from what I understand here, if anything you have been upgraded.

If its really a huge deal for you, then call NCL and offer to pay the price difference to get the cabin you desire. Or do so on boarding. Guest services can take care of that without having to bring in the Hotel Manager.

Goodness - cannot believe you feel you should waste the Hotel Manager's time on an issue, which you yourself brought about. You took a chance, tried to save a few quid, and lost out. Had you been upgraded, would you take time out of your cruise to go to the Hotel Manager to give a fifteen minute spiel on thanking them.

You want a specific cabin - do what the other 90% of cruisers do, pay the price and book it.

You have over a thousand posts here - you obviously know plenty about cruising and guarantees. I have never booked a GTY ever - I guess if ever a GTY suite had ever been an option for me I might well have booked it. I have never in all my years, seen a GTY an an option for an of our cruises.

Learn from it and go enjoy your cruise. You got what you paid for and absolutely do not waste the Hotel Manager's time with petty issues.

Personally I am against free upgrades of any kind. I think its unfair on folks who go with the cabin they want at the budget they can afford. I have had people brag to me on certain cruiselines about the price they paid last minute - enfuriates one who has paid full price. I believe early booking and loyalty should offer the best price - a guarantee is a guarantee - and from what I understand here, if anything you have been upgraded.

If its really a huge deal for you, then call NCL and offer to pay the price difference to get the cabin you desire. Or do so on boarding. Guest services can take care of that without having to bring in the Hotel Manager.

Man, brutal...but agree 100%. :)

. . . I wanted an obstructed view on deck 8 and I thought it didn't matter what cabin would be chosen for me on the obstructed view deck.

Hi, Lucy

I'm going to offer a different angle, that I hope will be respected (and, perhaps, helpful).

I'm assuming that you were anticipating being assigned (at least) to one of those two OX cabins shown on Deck 8. It is my own opinion that you'd have been potentially displeased with the overall sailing had that actually happened.

Yes, you are correct that those two cabins have a less obstructed view than numerous others on that deck, but they are a different category from the directly-neighboring cabin for a valid reason. Several reviews on CC have indicated that occasional loud machinery noise from the wall of those two cabins is not fun at all. One even mentioned that the vibration caused things on the wall to be displaced. For me, that would not be a fun daily experience.

I fully understand the current disappointment of having a cabin location that's not what you'd expected (which, as others have posted, is always a possibility with a guaranteed booking).

Go . . . have a good time . . . eat all the things you know you shouldn't . . . and do things that you might feel you shouldn't . . . and enjoy the vacation to the fullest. :D

Sorry to read of the current disappointment, but a big BON VOYAGE anyway!! :)

Deck 4 Oceanview on the Jewel is exactly what we had on our first cruise. It was quite, the port holes are not teeny, if Victor is your steward he was fantastic.

Go enjoy! Consider yourself to be one of the lucky people that can take a vacation.

Your TA should have explained what GTY was exactly.

Archived