NEVER BOOK a Guarantee on NCL because

LucyR.

You remember me from the NCL Pearl cruise. I have already bought the crew workers warm scarfs, warm caps, warm gloves. I packed them in cute bags.

I have 20 gifts for the crew workers for guys and girls. A lot of them remember me. They always come up to me to say hello when they see me on any ship that I cruise on. They truly appreciate the small gifts that I give them. It makes me happy too.

I especially like to give special gifts to the girl workers who just clean the ship and clean the restrooms. Some of the girls like to get the pretty flower head-bands that I pack for them. They are always super happy when I surprise them with a special gift.

I also like to give extra money gifts to my favorite crew workers.

Regarding the handsome assist matre d". What ship is he on now? He was planning to change ships the last time I talked with him. I also gave him a gift

of warm gloves, scarf, and warm wool socks that I bought in Astoria for him.

I met him years ago on the NCL STAR. That ship is coming back to the west coast out of L.A. I am guessing.

Thank you again for the wonderful news. LucyR.

What a very generous and kind person you are, Lucy. Never would have thought to do the gloves etc. but it makes perfect sense for Alaska. Kudos to you.

You have done your research on me.... and what I said in the year 0f 2011 is

not true this year of 2013, because I was moved to a cheaper cabin on deck

4 than what I paid because I wanted to be closer to the elevator. They also

chose not to give me a shipboard credit either which was okay with me

because I am presently handicapped with limited walking, impaired vision, and other medical problems. NCL Special Needs dept. is aware of my medical

problems. I mailed them their "Guest Special Request form". When I arrive on the ship the Front Desk will be asking what I need from them to do for me.

I didn't request a handicapped cabin because I only use a cane or walker to walk with on the ship.

I think it is funny that some of you try to use my own words to make me look bad.lol. Some of you had fun making fun of me but it doesn't bother me

because I have a great sense of humor and I am able to agree with the naysayers.lol. I also like to skip the negative comments and I don't read them.

I want to thank the people who have been very kind to me in their comments. I love this cruise critic website because I learn so much from

you all. Thanks, LucyR.

You remember me from the NCL Pearl cruise. I have already bought the crew workers warm scarfs, warm caps, warm gloves. I packed them in cute bags.

I have 20 gifts for the crew workers for guys and girls. A lot of them remember me. They always come up to me to say hello when they see me on any ship that I cruise on. They truly appreciate the small gifts that I give them. It makes me happy too.

I especially like to give special gifts to the girl workers who just clean the ship and clean the restrooms. Some of the girls like to get the pretty flower head-bands that I pack for them. They are always super happy when I surprise them with a special gift.

I also like to give extra money gifts to my favorite crew workers.

Regarding the handsome assist matre d". What ship is he on now? He was planning to change ships the last time I talked with him. I also gave him a gift

of warm gloves, scarf, and warm wool socks that I bought in Astoria for him.

I met him years ago on the NCL STAR. That ship is coming back to the west coast out of L.A. I am guessing.

Thank you again for the wonderful news. LucyR.

Lucy, he was on 2 different cruises that we were on after the Alaska cruise. On the first, he had applied to Royal Caribbean. The last was on the SUN when we went on the Iceland cruise in Sept., 2012.. That is all I know.

Keep making the crew happy. I know that they appreciate your generosity.

I've had OV cabins on deck 4 midship at least twice, both at my own request. The cabins were quiet, adequate in size, and the view from the porthole was close to sea level.

The best part was not having to wait for crowded elevators or stairs, when disembarking at ports. We were right there.

You have done your research on me.... and what I said in the year 0f 2011 is

not true this year of 2013, because I was moved to a cheaper cabin on deck

4 than what I paid because I wanted to be closer to the elevator. They also

chose not to give me a shipboard credit either which was okay with me

because I am presently handicapped with limited walking, impaired vision, and other medical problems. NCL Special Needs dept. is aware of my medical

problems. I mailed them their "Guest Special Request form". When I arrive on the ship the Front Desk will be asking what I need from them to do for me.

I didn't request a handicapped cabin because I only use a cane or walker to walk with on the ship.

I think it is funny that some of you try to use my own words to make me look bad.lol. Some of you had fun making fun of me but it doesn't bother me

because I have a great sense of humor and I am able to agree with the naysayers.lol. I also like to skip the negative comments and I don't read them.

I want to thank the people who have been very kind to me in their comments. I love this cruise critic website because I learn so much from

you all. Thanks, LucyR.

Hi Lucy,

First off you're very generous and I'm absolutely positive that the crew appreciate the kind gestures and gifts you present to them! :) Absolutely awesome for you to do so!

Regarding your GTY cabin choice, it seems that there are still confusions here. Please consider the following points:

- A higher category cabin doesn't mean it'll be on a higher deck. We had a aft facing mini-suite located on deck 11 on the Pearl on our last cruise, but there were aft facing Haven suites below us on deck 8 and 9.

This is what you're facing right now; an unobstructed view cabin will always be categorized higher than an obstructed view cabin, regardless of which deck it's located on.

- Consider this. If you had an inside GTY cabin on deck 9, would an obstructed view cabin on deck 8 be an upgrade?

Hope this shed some light on your situation, I'm sorry that your TA didn't inform you of all the details unfortunately. Hope you have an excellent trip!! :)

Right or a company is never wrong and won't admit it. Lets all remember these golden words"the customer is always right".;)

Those golden words are really only assumed by consumers who has little to no knowledge of how the real world works.

The real golden words are "the consumer who is willing to spend money is always right".

LucyR - you are going to have a great cruise. And don't worry about the naysayers. Sometimes you just get lousy news and want to vent - and here on the boards seems like a great place to do it. Then, of course, you are going to get slammed - but good for you, here you come back to share your improved outlook - you are the best! And who knows, you may discover that the 4th deck is the best in the world - and you would have missed it. Or it is crap, and you have learned a valuable life lesson. Ah, how we live for serendipity:D

I know that when I am bummed out, I will type something totally evil and then hit delete - most of the time;) Then wait for it, my mood improves and its down to planning again:)

For those of us afraid of GTY cabins and the 4th deck (me culpa!) share your experience.

Have a wonderful cruise - I am finally within 20 days!!!!!

My apologies, my comments were unnecessary and somewhat out of character.

Have a great cruise.

That is very nice of you. Someday, I hope that one day you will have the opportunity to cruise with her like I did. She is a wonderful person with full of life.

Right or a company is never wrong and won't admit it. Lets all remember these golden words"the customer is always right".;)

The customer is definitely not "always right" 90% of the time they are wrong or made a mistake and expect others to make it right for them. That is called being a bad customer.

I just wanted everybody to know how I felt when I found out that I wasn't getting an obstructed view cabin that I had paid for. Yes, I was truly wrong

in thinking I would get the obstructed view cabin. My main mistake was to say to my T.A. to tell NCL not to up-grade me.

BUT...I WAS MISLEAD BY NCL because if you go look at their website you can still see NCL website advertising the obstructed view cabins when in reality

they are sold out according to other websites.

Go look at NCL.COM and do the search on May 8, 2013, PacificNorth West on

NCL Jewel. You will find the obstructed view cabins have gone down in price

to $598. for solo persons. I had paid $698. for the obstructed view. Now I have been moved to a port-hole cabin on deck 4 fwd that is selling at $648. See how I lost money? They don't plan to give me a refund or shipboard credit. Yes, it is my fault for being too trusting that I would get what I paid for. I didn't expect the SO-CALLED UPGRADE OF a port-hole cabin on deck 4.

I also was wrong in assuming that NCL would care that I am a Handicapped person who is registered with them as special needs. They had chosen a cabin for me on deck 4 that was not located near the elevator. I had to accept the

fact that I was moved to a cheaper cabin just so I could be near an elevator.

I became desperate to take whatever I could get. So I have chosen to take

a less valuable cabin just to get as close as I can to the elevator. I am now at

Cabin number 4510 foreward that is somewhat close to the elevator.

YES, I AGREE with all the naysayers that it was my fault for assuming I would get what I paid for. I didn't read the fine print of the NCL rules. My T.A. didn't warn me that I could be located on any deck that NCL wanted me to be at.

I was warning new cruisers about that problem. I would have paid full price if the Obstructed view cabin was available to book a cabin and get a cabin assigned.

That option was not available to me at the time that I booked.

I have cruised before on Deck 8 on NCL. I prefer that deck because it is located near the BLUE LAGOON restaurant that is open most of the evening.

I like to eat a late snack. Take it to my cabin and watch t.v.. I go to sleep at 1:00a.m. and get up real early on cruiseships.

HuddysDad, you are right it was my fault for being so stupid to trust NCL.

I hope they read what I have to say just so they know what I think of their

deception style of booking their customers. I may be partially blind in vision but I am not stupid.

I do plan to have a great time on my cruise because I will have lots of fun like I always do. I have too much fun for one old lady ME. LucyR.

I remember now that Ruben the Matri Di was hoping to move to another cruiseline. I wonder if he finally moved to another cruiseline or if he is still

on an NCL Ship. I plan to ask the crew workers if they know what ship he

is working at.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I also want to thank the other cruisers who are wishing me well on my cruise. I am not the type to hold grudges when things don't go my way.

I have a wonderful life and I already have plans to cruise for Halloween

and Dec. 15, 2013, on Golden Princess and Sapphire Princess.

I have accepted the fact that NCL gave ME a cabin on deck 4. My sister says that just being on the ship is the most important thing. I totally agree with her.

I am looking foreward to visiting Nanaimo, and Victoria BC. LucyR.

I just wanted everybody to know how I felt when I found out that I wasn't getting an obstructed view cabin that I had paid for. Yes, I was truly wrong

in thinking I would get the obstructed view cabin. My main mistake was to say to my T.A. to tell NCL not to up-grade me.

BUT...I WAS MISLEAD BY NCL because if you go look at their website you can still see NCL website advertising the obstructed view cabins when in reality

to $598. for solo persons. I had paid $698. for the obstructed view. Now I have been moved to a port-hole cabin on deck 4 fwd that is selling at $648. See how I lost money? They don't plan to give me a refund or shipboard credit. Yes, it is my fault for being too trusting that I would get what I paid for. I didn't expect the SO-CALLED UPGRADE OF a port-hole cabin on deck 4.

I also was wrong in assuming that NCL would care that I am a Handicapped person who is registered with them as special needs. They had chosen a cabin for me on deck 4 that was not located near the elevator. I had to accept the

a less valuable cabin just to get as close as I can to the elevator. I am now at

YES, I AGREE with all the naysayers that it was my fault for assuming I would get what I paid for. I didn't read the fine print of the NCL rules. My T.A. didn't warn me that I could be located on any deck that NCL wanted me to be at.

I was warning new cruisers about that problem. I would have paid full price if the Obstructed view cabin was available to book a cabin and get a cabin assigned.

I have cruised before on Deck 8 on NCL. I prefer that deck because it is located near the BLUE LAGOON restaurant that is open most of the evening.

I like to eat a late snack. Take it to my cabin and watch t.v.. I go to sleep at 1:00a.m. and get up real early on cruiseships.

deception style of booking their customers. I may be partially blind in vision but I am not stupid.

I do plan to have a great time on my cruise because I will have lots of fun like I always do. I have too much fun for one old lady ME. LucyR.

Lucy,

Many here are not "naysayers" like you alleged, but rather just pointing out facts regardless of whether these facts are in favour of the cruiseline or yourself.

I truly fail to see why you feel like you were misled by the cruiseline. I think you were somewhat misled by your TA, but NCL in this case sold you exactly what your TA requested.

I'll try to go through some of your points to hopefully shed some light here:

Key word here is "other websites". These "other websites" likely booked a block of cabins to resell and these cabins are indeed sold out, but this doesn't mean that NCL doesn't have other cabins in the same category or deck to sell.

NCL and these other websites could very well operate differently.

But it's industry practice that once final payments are due, you don't get price match to the lower price if the fare drops, just like they don't ask you to pay more if the price goes up. This is the same whether you're cruising on NCL, RCCL, HAL, Cunard, Silver Seas, Celebrity, etc.

You got exactly what you paid for in this case. You purchased a GTY cabin, you didn't pay for an obstructed view cabin on deck 8.

Would you be happier if they "downgrade" you to an inside cabin on deck 9? Again, cabin category is NOT directly related to decks numbers.

There seems to be a communication breakdown between you, your TA and NCL somewhere along the way. Hard to say whose fault or what happened without knowing the time frame and what info was exactly passed along.

Please stop calling people "naysayers". Some are rude, but some are simply hoping to help you with understanding what you bought. We're doing what your TA should have done.

You did in fact get what you paid for, and not what you didn't.

Your thought is noble, GTY cabins are not for everybody (it's certainly not for me!).

If you really wanted the deck 8 obstructed view cabin, did you check with other sources aside from the TA you ended up booking with?

With all due respect Lucy, this is anything but the truth. You're definitely not stupid, but perhaps do be more open minded and listen what some of the "naysayers" are actually saying instead of ignoring them.

Awesome! I hope you have a great time!!

Lucy, you seem like a sincere and sweet person, but you do not seem like a person who should book a gty cabin. You have issues to cause you to want to be near an elevator, so carefully hand pick your cabin near an elevator. selecting a gty leaves you at risk for an inconvenient cabin.

If you paid more for your solo gty cabin than you would have paid for an assigned outside solo cabin, that is a shame...If your TA advised you to that, your TA let you down. If you chose to do it all on your own, please learn from the experience...do not learn that NCL does not care...learn that gty is not for you, ever, on any cruiseline.

Do watch for an opportunity to upgrade...maybe solo price on nicer cabins will yet fall. Either way have a wonderful cruise.

LucyR, I also drank the cool-aid. I'm sailing next month solo on the Pearl Pacific Coast and booked a GTY. Given the current cabin availability and approaching sailing date, I anticipated a bump in category, but it was not to be. I'm in steerage on Deck 5. I knew this going in and happy to be sailing soon. I figured it will give me reason to get out and enjoy the ship venues. Hopefully, the crystal ball is a little clearer by that time to determine final cabin assignment.

I drank the lemon flavored cool-aid. That is how I ended up on deck 4.

Too bad you are not cruising with me so we could drink the lemonaide

on the NCL Jewel.lol.

I have learned my lesson to never drink the cool-aid again, ever on any

cruiseline. LucyR.

I WANTED AN OBSTRUCTED VIEW CABIN and I paid for it. Instead I got put into a cabin on deck 4 near the Medical Center. NCL thinks they are giving me an upgrade by giving me a cabin with a small porthole on the bottom deck.

I wanted an obstructed view on deck 8 and I thought it didn't matter what cabin would be chosen for me on the obstructed view deck.

Now.... I am stuck on deck 4 on the NCL Jewel, May 8, 2013. Rates went down for windows on deck 4 and I am losing money. They don't plan to refund me any money or GIVE ME ship board credit for being put on a lower rate cabin.

At this late date there is nothing I can do but hope that once I get on the ship

the Hotel manager will take pity on me and move me to an upper deck.

If not....it will be the last time I cruise on a NCL SHIP.

I also plan to change travel agents too because he didn't fight for me.

I think you need to show the level of your disappointment by not going on the cruise and giving me the paid in full tickets!

What a pistol you are...LOL. Indeed, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. It would have been a blast cruising with you...hope to meet you on another cruise. I think you will have a great time on Deck 4, 8 or even in a broom closet... you have that kind of personality- you rock Lucy. One more thing. I plan to pickup some gloves and scarves for the crew at the local big box store. The crew work so hard and will use these in Alaska. Hey I'm still wearing my gloves in the morning here, and plan to bring them on the coast cruise.

I hope that cruisers who are cruising to the Pacific Northwest will look into their closets and find some winter items to give to the crew workers. The crew workers don't care that you got it from your own closet if you tell them

when you give it to them.

One time I gave two gals some wool scarfs and wool caps that I had sitting in my closet. I asked them if they really wanted them and they got all happy and were super glad to take them. They worked at the perfume store on a cruise ship that was planning to reposition to Alaska for the summer months.

NCL doesn't really like to allow the crew workers off the ships in American ports like Astoria and San Francisco. Last time a crew worker gal didn't return

to the ship. The Captain waited for I think it was two hours because we left the port. This is why I think it is very important to give them warm items

as gifts as we cruise to the Pacific Northwest.

Hey ONE EYE OPEN, thank you for saying something nice to me. Yes, I do like

to have fun on cruise ships. I hope to meet you and some of the other nice people here. LucyR.

I might be uninformed here - but isn't a unobstructed ocean view considered an upgrade over an obstructed one?

That is what I thought. But I was on Gem level 4 med center and next to the exit in foreign ports to disembark. Loved looking out at the ocean. The obstructed view on the Jewel I saw nothing but a lifeboat, dark room, and staff that walked brought the lifeboats when I thought there would be privacy.

I really preferred the level 4 great view and convienance to just walk off the ship. It was very quiet, no hall traffic, really enjoyed this room. I think you will be very happy there!

You will find the obstructed view cabins have gone down in price

to $598. for solo persons. I had paid $698. for the obstructed view. Now I have been moved to a port-hole cabin on deck 4 fwd that is selling at $648.

So if I am understanding this correctly you could get an obstructed view for $598 or a porthole for $648...that is why the port hole is considered to be an upgrade- they cost more (doesn't really matter that deck they are on). I do realize that because of your physical limitations that what deck you are on is important, but for most people the port hole cabin is a more desireable one (I would be tickled to get it). As previously pointed out once you are inside the final payment period you usually can't get price adjustments, the cruise line will cut prices in order to attract new bookings and to fill the ship.

Archived