GTY Question

yvonneh

I've had this happen and in order to get a better cabin I had to cancel my guarantee and rebook. If you are doing that you'll need to make sure of the price of the new booking as well as if you lose any promos you might have had.

As far as upgrading on your current booking I doubt that is possible. I asked last year when I had a Veranda guarantee and wanted to upgrade to an Aqua class cabin. My cabin had not been assigned and I was told the only way to do it would be to cancel and rebook.

Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Another option would be to see if you can be moved to a better cabin in the same category. I believe people have been able to do that.

Are you still before final payment? if so maybe the price of the gty will drop and you get a price adjustment, you will likely go back into the gty pool. you might come out with a different cabin or category.

If the price drops on an assigned category is appealing, you might be able to pay the difference to upgrade to an assigned cabin.

Once you are assigned a guarantee cabin, you can (generally) change to another available cabin in the exact same class....so if you are assigned a C2, you could request to be changed to another C2. If you want to change to a C3, you can do so, but you will have to pay the difference between what you PAID (not what they are currently asking for the C2) and the current C3 price.

As others have suggested, if you are before final payment, you could just cancel the C2, rebook another guarantee cabin and hope that they assign you to a different class of cabin.

Thank you for the suggestions! My TA did call and was told that I cannot try to change to a C2 from a C3 until all the C3's are sold out. But, I did get a little bit better of a location in the C3 category.

I would like to know now that I am assigned as a "C3", is this the category I watch to see if the price drops or do I watch the GTY rates since that is how I booked it??

The only thing you care about is the price you paid....changes in the price of a c3 mean nothing...and even if that price changes you aren't going to qualify for a price adjustment. Further, if the guarantee price changes, your only option is to cancel your current reservation and book another guarantee cabin and hope for a good one. For completeness, I'll repeat, if the price of the C2 cabin you want drops below the current C3 price, you can't upgrade unless you pay the difference between WHAT YOU PAID and the new lower C2 price....NOT the difference between the C3 and C2 price.

Thank you for the suggestions! My TA did call and was told that I cannot try to change to a C2 from a C3 until all the C3's are sold out. But, I did get a little bit better of a location in the C3 category.

I would like to know now that I am assigned as a "C3", is this the category I watch to see if the price drops or do I watch the GTY rates since that is how I booked it??

Are you before final payment? If so, you might watch all categories of interest to you because before final payment you can grab price drops and move between categories....of course if you have special perks with your booking (like 123), you might have to give up those perks to get a new price, depending upon the circumstances. You will probably have to consult your agent when you see a potential deal. After final payment, you can no longer move down in price and upgrade may only get more complicated.

If a suite guarantee is ever offered, and a sky suite is assigned,will it be possible to do an upgrade if a higher suite becomes available? Like to an RS?

yes, but only if you either throw yourself back in the guarantee pool by a) cancelling your current reservation (and perhaps forfeiting any perks you got with the original booking) or b) paying the difference between WHAT YOU PAID FOR THE GUARANTEED CABIN and the new price for the higher suite. You do not just pay the difference between the category assigned and the cabin you want!!!

If a suite guarantee is ever offered, and a sky suite is assigned,will it be possible to do an upgrade if a higher suite becomes available? Like to an RS?

I will never do a suite guarantee again. Frankly I do not think I will do a guarantee period. Oh the price was right, and we got an accessible suite right above sliding doors. It was horrible. You may save money, but as they say you get what you pay for. As far as an upgrade, usually the most expensive and the lowest are booked first.

Archived