Feel too old on HAL

ScottC4746

I think that when you travel, the itinerary, and the length of cruise that you select will have a significant bearing in the demographics of a particular cruise.

Also, our experience is that food, service, and entertainment can really vary depending on the crew, officers, etc. We have had top notch everything on one ship (not HAL), booked again on that same ship , and found a noticeable decline in these areas.

Edited by iancal

Hi lorekauf... I am really sorry if you thought I was referring to fellow passengers as "us doddering old folk"...that reference was pointed directly at the mirror. I was just taken aback by the pool closures and really did wonder why.

Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance that the tongue-in-cheekiness remark wasn't too widely misinterpreted. Had it been seriously directed at other passengers, I would deserve a MAJOR smackdown!

lorekauf, you are right on the money, RCL is a better fit for US, but definitely not for many others. So many ships, so many styles...and most of it very, very good! We count our lucky stars every day that we have the time, funds, and health to enjoy such vacations. We don't regret trying HAL for a moment and hope to cruise other lines as well before we hang up our suitcases.

HAL provided us with an extremely affordable vacation that agreed with our budget at a time when we really needed to get away. As it turned out, I have never been so relaxed on a vacation. It was just what the doctor ordered.

I have to admit that a ship like the Allure or Oasis engages me to the point that I am a bit like a demented hamster on a wheel. Of course, the Flowrider does slow me down a bit. I can spend a ridiculous amount of time there, soaking up the sun while watching the wipe-outs, AND applauding those who manage to gain competence (lest you think me totally heartless - LOL!) Still trying to muster up the courage to try it myself.

We do sail on those ships for those over-the-top features, and likewise knew that HAL offered a different kind of experience. Isn't that why so many of us love CruiseCritic forums??? We like to know before we go! But I just didn't find out about the danged pool closures until too late. Never even thought to ask that kind of question. Just goes to show that no detail is too small.

Happy thoughts and cruising to all,

Mary

Thank you for coming back and explaining. I did take you comment to refer to folks that travel on Hal. I see way to many comments on here like that and it's made me jaded. I apologize for that but I do not like other folks explaining what others mean. Sometimes I think it's just to dispute whatever I say. I can't imagine sailing on those mega ships. I get way too much noise and being around too many people living and working in Calgary. That's why I like Hal and it's quiet and subdued ships.

I'm glad that your HAL cruise provided what you needed at this time. From your post, I can see that you like lots of activities and excitement. Personally, I wouldn't want to sail on those huge ships. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Carol, Royal Caribbean is not all huge ships - I could never cruise on the Oasis or the Allure:eek: - or even frantic activities. But they do have some beautiful ships, and I must admit to liking the pools being open later in the evenings. In warm climates it is so nice to be able to use the pool late into the evening. I really enjoy the ships with a Cafe Promenade, open 24/7, too. I do wish HAL had both of these, but that doesn't mean I don't also love HAL and especially the itineraries it offers.

Carol, Royal Caribbean is not all huge ships - I could never cruise on the Oasis or the Allure:eek: - or even frantic activities. But they do have some beautiful ships, and I must admit to liking the pools being open later in the evenings. In warm climates it is so nice to be able to use the pool late into the evening. I really enjoy the ships with a Cafe Promenade, open 24/7, too. I do wish HAL had both of these, but that doesn't mean I don't also love HAL and especially the itineraries it offers.

Agree! In fact, among our favorite ships are the Radiance Class of RCI which are nearly the same size and carry the same number of passengers as the Eurodam. DW says she would prefer to never cruise on their Freedom Class or the larger Monster of the Seas ships.

Hank

We are with the original posted question. We don't like the belly fop competitions or the loud music or the over crowded pools and the loud kids chasing each other around the ships.I'm sure that HAL will be the ships for us from now on as we get older and have been there,done that in our younger days.

Agree! In fact, among our favorite ships are the Radiance Class of RCI which are nearly the same size and carry the same number of passengers as the Eurodam. DW says she would prefer to never cruise on their Freedom Class or the larger Monster of the Seas ships.

Hank

It's a nice ship. However, it carries 400 pax more than the Eurodam.

I know I'm adding my two cents late in the conversation but my wife and I aren't even 30 and we love HAL. We work hard and HAL offers a nice, relaxed environment in which to unwind. I feel the fellow passengers are generally respectful to both the crew and other guests. There is definitely no hard partying nor excessive debauchery. I find the cooking demonstrations interesting, the ships tastefully decorated, and the service far superior to what I'm used to. And while the majority of the passengers on the 7-day itineraries are a generation older (my parents enjoy both HAL and Celebrity and are quite the seasoned cruisers), if not occasionally two, they are always willing to engage in conversation with us and share in their adventures. It really is a perfect escape from the normal hectic life that many young couples endure. 'Nuff said.

Years ago -- ie 1988, when we first started sailing HAL -- we too were young working engineers. after meticulously researching the various lines we decided HAL was for us. We've sailed with them ever since. I understand completely the need to decompress from your stressed life. In the aftermath of Y2K we actually took 2 HAL cruises -- the first because I had been 'banned' from a vacation from Oct 99 to Mar 1 2000. So we left on Mar 1. So then I still had 2000 vacation to take -- another cruise. Loved them both.

It's a nice ship. However, it carries 400 pax more than the Eurodam.

I think this is a bit of a myth perpetuated by some HAL fans. So here are the actual numbers right from the Cruise Critic ship info:

Eurodam: 86,000 tons passenger capacity = 2104

Jewel of the Seas (Radiance Class ship) 90,000 tons passengers= 2004

Bottom line is that the passenger space ratio is actually a little better on the RCI ship and the Eurodam has a greater passenger capacity.

Now we will grant you that either ship can cruise at over 100% of capacity but that is not the question and we will not quibble with Cruise Critic statistics. However, both ships can carry more then their capacity if they choose to accept 3rd or 4th in a cabin (these berths are normally not counted in capacity).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

i know i'm adding my two cents late in the conversation but my wife and i aren't even 30 and we love hal. We work hard and hal offers a nice, relaxed environment in which to unwind. I feel the fellow passengers are generally respectful to both the crew and other guests. There is definitely no hard partying nor excessive debauchery. I find the cooking demonstrations interesting, the ships tastefully decorated, and the service far superior to what i'm used to. And while the majority of the passengers on the 7-day itineraries are a generation older (my parents enjoy both hal and celebrity and are quite the seasoned cruisers), if not occasionally two, they are always willing to engage in conversation with us and share in their adventures. It really is a perfect escape from the normal hectic life that many young couples endure. 'nuff said.

this.

OP, I think you will love HAL!

Just one word of caution, if I may...if your ship has the Happy Hour Martinis ($3, I think) make sure you get there early! The martini bar is small, and I could never get near enough to be served. It is apparently (and rightfully so!) a very popular spot at that time. I licked my wounds and retreated to another place to order a drink each night.

We would pass a lounge (Ocean Lounge, I think) each evening on our way to play trivia and I absolutely loved seeing the beautifully dressed people enjoying a drink while they listened to a very talented duo play. I could have happily joined them, but DH doesn't drink or have any musical appreciation for ANYTHING not recorded between 1960 - 1972. What can I say? Opposites attract!