Using ship computers for emails at home

When I had a PC laptop, I never used Microsoft Exchange and didn't really understand how people used this similar technique and did most of their stuff offline. Now with an Apple iPad or iPhone, it makes total sense. I will be doing this as well, thanks for the tip!

I'm assuming it will be quite pricey though?

I don't recall, do you need to buy a minutes package to use the ship computers or Royal Wifi? Or can you just purchase by the minute?

Yes, you can pay by the minute, but it is an exorbitant 65c per minute, and it often takes several minutes just to get to your email account. The best analogy is like sitting in a cab in gridlock in mid-town Manhattan :eek:

Would you know what RCL ship that would be? I was on Oasis in Jan. and just last week on the Liberty in a TA. The internet packages remained as in previous years - expensive! I do a lot of email and web-based work so I always buy the biggest package they offer. The problem is extremely slow connectivity and congestion, especially during the day. Often I couldn't even log on, so an unlimited package is a moot point. I attended some sort of Q&A on board, and one of the officers in charge mentioned that within 18 months or so, a new internet system (currently being tested) will debut, with much improved connectivity, up to 10 or 20 times better than it is now. He did mention the system name but I cannot remember, and it involves a different part of the wireless spectrum. Has anyone heard this?

They have been trying it out on Allure as far as I know.

Would you know what RCL ship that would be? I was on Oasis in Jan. and just last week on the Liberty in a TA. The internet packages remained as in previous years - expensive! I do a lot of email and web-based work so I always buy the biggest package they offer. The problem is extremely slow connectivity and congestion, especially during the day. Often I couldn't even log on, so an unlimited package is a moot point. I attended some sort of Q&A on board, and one of the officers in charge mentioned that within 18 months or so, a new internet system (currently being tested) will debut, with much improved connectivity, up to 10 or 20 times better than it is now. He did mention the system name but I cannot remember, and it involves a different part of the wireless spectrum. Has anyone heard this?

As far as I can recall, only Allure has the unlimited internet packages now.

The name of the new internet provider is O3B. Here is some info:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2012/o3b-networks-to-provide-ultra-fast-internet-communications-to-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-aboard-the-world%E2%80%99s-largest-and-most-innovative-cruise-ship

and my Ipad took more time to load emails than the ships computers. I use gmail, and did not use a email program to down load my mail.

I thought I was pretty savvy with computers, but and not to derail, what email program works with gmail that allows you down load the entire email go off line and then reply to all back on line.

I just use the generic mail app on my Ipod touch, I have it configured to retrieve all new email from both my Yahoo and Gmail accounts. When you open the app while online it will download the text portions of all incoming messages but not images or attachments (to do that you have to open an individual message while online). You can reply to an email while offline and it will send it the next time you open the app while online.

Many port now also offer free or very cheap WIFI, on our Med cruise last year, I sat down in the "lounge" they set up next to the gangway and did my online stuff there on my Macbook.

This is the only way to check emails without loosing your mind. Nothing can be so important that it cannot wait till you can get to a free WIFI location. If it is you probably should not be on a cruise.

As far as I can recall, only Allure has the unlimited internet packages now.

The name of the new internet provider is O3B. Here is some info:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2012/o3b-networks-to-provide-ultra-fast-internet-communications-to-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-aboard-the-world%E2%80%99s-largest-and-most-innovative-cruise-ship

Many thanks! I went to the website and read up on it. Indeed it sounds exciting and I can't wait for this new technology to be available! I hope this also means, in addition to the internet, better TV coverage on the ships as well.

My son always gets some internet minutes, but he says the speed is very slow and sometimes impossible to connect and sometimes he gets disconnected.

Unless people are very ill and need to be checked up on frequently, why not try a non-electronic holiday - just make sure to give your family the ship's telephone number for a real emergency.

But, hey, if you really want to use the internet, buy the smallest package and give it a try.

For me? I can afford it, but the frustration of a slow connection that cuts off while I'm trying to get something done isn't worth the effort.

It's only a week. How much can happen THAT IS IMPORTANT in one week?

Many thanks! I went to the website and read up on it. Indeed it sounds exciting and I can't wait for this new technology to be available! I hope this also means, in addition to the internet, better TV coverage on the ships as well.

Some ships are already getting one or two channels via the existing internet, but you're correct, there will be more as time goes on.

Archived