What will the Musical be?

I feel like we're missing some guesses. Hairspray and Chicago were not obvious bets when they arrived. I also wouldn't have guessed on Saturday Night Fever (Liberty). Maybe we need to think broader? Cabaret? I'd love it but the Chicago-haters wouldn't. Dreamgirls? Billy Elliott? The Producers? Grease? Les Mis?

Grease would be another good one AND a great sing-a-long! ;):)

I'm guessing Thoroughly Modern Millie. I have a feeling that the rights to Wicked are probably very expensive.

Kristen Chenowith was originally expected to star in that but was unable to so I don't think it likely. I also don't think it's widely known enough.

Edited by Schplinky

Interestingly, I had a notification today in email about a New "Wicked" cruise onboard NCL Breakaway!!

I'm not sure if they're trying to steal the thunder with Quantum (as, I too, suspected it potential for Wicked to be onboard QOS with Kristen as the Godmother). Now, I'm not so sure?

http://thewickedcruise.com

"The WICKED Cruise...join your fellow Ozians for a thrillifying week sailing the seas and getting an inside look at "Broadway's Biggest Blockbuster!"

Departing November 3, 2013 from New York City on the brand new, most "swankified" ship Norwegian Breakaway, enjoy private WICKED events on board with special guests, exclusive gifts and get-togethers, as we sail to Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau, Bahamas, for the most memorable week ever...

Interestingly, I had a notification today in email about a New "Wicked" cruise onboard NCL Breakaway!!

I'm not sure if they're trying to steal the thunder with Quantum (as, I too, suspected it potential for Wicked to be onboard QOS with Kristen as the Godmother). Now, I'm not so sure?

http://thewickedcruise.com

Hmmm....

Interesting for sure.

If you click on the wicked show link on that website it takes you to the traveling "wicked" group, so now we know that Wicked is being done in an off Broadway travelling show with a modified set that can be used on a variety of stages... So, it would work on a cruise ship.

But, OTOH, I am now leaning less to Wicked being the show because I can't see how Royal would ever go for allowing the show to be shown on a competing cruise line when they were drawing up their contracts.

Perhaps, Kristen Chenoweth was chosen ONLY for the reasons RCCL states :confused:...

She represents the Quantum because it is a truly transformational ship with many areas that transform to wear many hats throughout the day and night and she is a transformational actress who has been successful in theater, tv, movies and music :confused:

Hmmm....

Interesting for sure.

Perhaps, Kristen Chenoweth was chosen ONLY for the reasons RCCL states :confused:...

She represents the Quantum because it is a truly transformational ship with many areas that transform to wear many hats throughout the day and night and she is a transformational actress who has been successful in theater, tv, movies and music :confused:

That can't be. :eek::D

"The WICKED Cruise...join your fellow Ozians for a thrillifying week sailing the seas and getting an inside look at "Broadway's Biggest Blockbuster!"

Departing November 3, 2013 from New York City on the brand new, most "swankified" ship Norwegian Breakaway, enjoy private WICKED events on board with special guests, exclusive gifts and get-togethers, as we sail to Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau, Bahamas, for the most memorable week ever...

"Broadway's Biggest Blockbuster" is Phantom of the Opera.

I am curious as to what you think the musical will be onboard. The Allure has Chicage, the Oasis has Hairspray and the new Breakaway will have Rock of Ages. I am thinking Wicked...but I am not sure. What do you think?

From my friends in the Theater Community, this is the rumor that is going around. It may be just that, but the talk is that Royal is looking to take the Vegas version (the 95 minute no intermission version) and adapt it to this ship

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Avenue Q is set in NYC, so for a new ship making its debut there, it is a good tie-in. Obviously the show is not for young kids, but with the Dreamworks experience, Royal doesn't have to produce a show to appeal to all ages. Avenue Q definitely also appeals to people who are not typical musical theater goers. Avenue Q also has a relatively simple stage set and costumes which is something that the ship will definitely need to consider.

Anyway, I just thought I would throw that out there and see what others think.

Edited by smoosh21

I'll bet serious money that it's Wicked.

The problem with Wicked is that the show runs over 150 minutes. That means they would need to cut over 60 minutes from the show. It is possible, but that is a lot of cutting to get the show down to 90 minutes

Just a thought....

Someone posted in a different thread that RCL avoided the Broadway Show question on the webinar yesterday, stating only that there will be many surprises. The one thing that has been a bit of a question mark hanging over my head is the lack of show venues on board (Oasis class ships have the Aquatheater, the Studio B ice rink, the main theaters and the Comedy Club). Now, I'm SURE there will be a comedy club somewhere, but the lack of ice rink and Aquatheater means two less venues to hold shows in....

Now I'm wondering if there could be MORE than ONE Broadway show???

Certainly, that would be a big surprise :D. Breakaway has Rock of Ages, Cirque and Burn the Floor... so having more than one broadway based show isn't out of the question :D

What do you think?

Do you suppose we could actually see more than one show?

Just a thought....

Someone posted in a different thread that RCL avoided the Broadway Show question on the webinar yesterday, stating only that there will be many surprises. The one thing that has been a bit of a question mark hanging over my head is the lack of show venues on board (Oasis class ships have the Aquatheater, the Studio B ice rink, the main theaters and the Comedy Club). Now, I'm SURE there will be a comedy club somewhere, but the lack of ice rink and Aquatheater means two less venues to hold shows in....

Now I'm wondering if there could be MORE than ONE Broadway show???

Certainly, that would be a big surprise :D. Breakaway has Rock of Ages, Cirque and Burn the Floor... so having more than one broadway based show isn't out of the question :D

What do you think?

Do you suppose we could actually see more than one show?

Don't forget, Two70 is the indoor equivalent of the Aquatheater. It will feature aerial shows. They also have the Seaplex which while not a show venue could replace some of activities held in the Ice Rink such as the dance parties or The Quest.

With sailings extending to 12 nights I could see 2 broadway shows but I think it may be too much for one cast to manage in addition to the standard show. The Independence of the Seas has 3 shows, do any other ships? I could see a Broadway show and 2 cast shows in the main theater along with an official cirque du soleil show in Two70. They could also have the dance hall and comedy club as specialty venues to host shows with guest like they did with the comedy club on Oasis. They often bring musical guests so a special more intimate atmosphere for them could be a big appeal. It seems like they are going to have to do the shows like they did on Oasis where each one is shown many times and you book the ones for when you want. I personally loved how it was run and didn't feel like it took anything away from the traditional cruise experience that I look for.

This could also work best if the Main Dining Room is going to be MTD only on Quantum. Since they only have 2 decks they can't fit everyone in 2 traditional seatings but they could with 3 rotations of MTD. With a port intensive itinerary (which this ship is designed for) you'll have a significant number of people wanting to change their times based on port departures each day so this could work perfect.

The problem with Wicked is that the show runs over 150 minutes. That means they would need to cut over 60 minutes from the show. It is possible, but that is a lot of cutting to get the show down to 90 minutes

Why can't they put on the musical in it's entirety? Is there a rule or regulation, or is this purely based on cost:confused:?

Why can't they put on the musical in it's entirety? Is there a rule or regulation, or is this purely based on cost:confused:?

It's the attention span of the average vacationer that's the problem.

We saw Mamma Mia in Vegas and were near an usher when a man tore a strip off him for how long the show was and how angry he was not to know this when they got their tickets. People are weird. They don't want any single fun thing to keep them from the possibility of other fun things for too long.

We saw Mamma Mia in Vegas and were near an usher when a man tore a strip off him for how long the show was and how angry he was not to know this when they got their tickets. People are weird. They don't want any single fun thing to keep them from the possibility of other fun things for too long.

I saw Mamma Mia in Vegas.... PHENOMENAL!

I also saw Lion King in Vegas & Phantom there, too.... also PHENOMENAL.

People are weird in deed. If you're going to see a musical, shouldn't it be expected that you'd be sitting there for a minimum of an 1.5? I am always sorry to see them end. I say "Poo" to all those grumpy buts who are ruining the fun for the rest of us :p:D.... bring on the shows and bring them on in their entirety :cool: