Rome on your own - does the Coach take you to Colosseum?

leela14

Can anyone confirm if the coach drops you at the Colosseum?

Is it worth it to have the tour of the Colosseum? We've been to Rome once before and didn't do the tour of the Colosseum - I think I'd like to do it this time - but not if we have to stand in line for tickets - can they be purchased ahead of time to avoid lineups?

Thanks!

Well I just did some more digging and it looks like the coach drops you at St. Peter's as well - bummer. We saw that the last time and have no interest in seeing it again - we want to spend our time in the area around the Pantheon this time. NCL dropped us at the Colloseum which was awesome - only a half hour walk to the Collosseum, St. Peter's is a 90 minute walk so we will have to look for Plan B. :(

I took a ship sponsored tour and was very glad I did so, especially for the collisium, Vatican etc... Same goes for other stops like Pompeii etc. The lines were very long but we were able to bypass because we were on the tour. Because you only have a limited amount of time in Rome it makes sense to expedite with going on a tour, otherwise you may end up spending much more time in lines and less time at the sites. Just my opinion.

Where you exit the underground coach park by St. Peter's , you can grab a cab to the colosseum , about 10 euros. If you want to get immediate entry without lining up for tickets, grab one of the people by the metro, you will spot them with badges around their necks. These are licensed and you can get entry with a guided tour. They walk you straight in.

Is it worth it to have the tour of the Colosseum? We've been to Rome once before and didn't do the tour of the Colosseum - I think I'd like to do it this time - but not if we have to stand in line for tickets - can they be purchased ahead of time to avoid lineups?

Thanks!

Hi, we did the 'Rome on your own' and we were dropped off at the Vatican, but got a taxi straight away to the Coliseum ---- it was really easy as they were just to the left of the 'square'. We then went to the Coliseum area, had a snack and then went to the Forum. Then we walked back to the Vatican area with lots of time to spare. We didn't go in to the Vatican Church though and just enjoyed St Peter's Square.

One thing we found the year after was that you can book a ticket at the Forum which included the Coliseum so that you don't have to queue there and just walk past the hundreds of people waiting to get in.

Whatever, have a great time - Rome is one of the most special places we've ever been to ------

The coach drops you off at the underground car park at St Peters Square. When you come out of the car park there is a bus stop directly opposite for the open top bus tour of Rome, this is a hop on ,hop off bus that goes around all the sites.There were guides selling the tickets at the bus stop can't remember how much the tickets were but it's really easy to get about using the bus.

What is this coach you guys talk about? Do u mean the ships coach bus transfer? Or is there a coach to rome that u buy at the port? If so, is it tough to get a seat ? We will have three ships in port that day 8900 people.

Thanks!

You can purchase your colosseum tickets online here:

http://www.coopculture.it/ticket.cfm?office=Colosseo&id=2

You can also rent an audio guide.

I also second the metro suggestion. The metro stop is right across the street from the colossuem. Very fast & easy to use the Rome metro. :)

What is this coach you guys talk about? Do u mean the ships coach bus transfer? Or is there a coach to rome that u buy at the port? If so, is it tough to get a seat ? We will have three ships in port that day 8900 people.

You book the trip called Rome On Your Own via the cruise company, they basically take you by coach from the ship to Rome where they park in the underground car park at St Peters Square, you then are free to do what ever you want. They tell you what time you need to be back at a meeting point for the return journey. The other bus I mentioned in an earlier post is an open top tourist bus.

Archived