Adding a guest

I was not able to find the answer to this question on the Royal website. My wife and I are taking a short cruise in September and then another short one in December. We may not find childcare for the second one and/or we may miss our little guy too much and want to bring him along on the second one. What should I know about adding him to our reservation? Is there a difference between before and after final payment? Any fees?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

If you think he may go along, consider adding him to the reservation soon. You will need a room rated for three (even if little guy uses a pack and play or shares with your bed...the room still must be approved for three). Also, only so many third/fourth guests are allowed before the ship reaches safe lifeboat capacity; if you wait, there is a risk that you may not be able to add him later. paying a deposit now is better than missing out later.

edit: I was assuming you are US or Canada where changes are easily made and deposits are refundable. rules are different for other countries, and I am not well versed in those.

The ships don't have enough lifeboats in order for all berths to be completely full. If your cruise is during a time where there is a lot of children onboard and you wait until the last minute to try to add your son, they may get to a point where the ship has reached lifeboat capacity. If that happens, they won't allow any more than 2 passengers in the remaining rooms even if your room has a 3rd or 4th berth.

Starry and UCF, thank you. I hadn't even thought of the lifeboat limit. It sounds like we should put the deposit on for him now. I'm guessing I only stand to lose that amount if we decide not to take him prior to final payment? I am a US citizen.

Starry and UCF, thank you. I hadn't even thought of the lifeboat limit. It sounds like we should put the deposit on for him now. I'm guessing I only stand to lose that amount if we decide not to take him prior to final payment? I am a US citizen.

Prior to final you will get a deposit refund (US consumers). To give you some kind of idea of the cancellation penalties, you can look at your September cruise contract for the cancellation schedule- it is midway down the booking.

Prior to final you will get a deposit refund (US consumers). To give you some kind of idea of the cancellation penalties, you can look at your September cruise contract for the cancellation schedule- it is midway down the booking.

usually if you cancel a third there is no charge but on the other hand, there are different cabin catagories for 3, 4 or two. you may have to go to a more expensive cabin that allows 3.

when you are ready to make final payment, assess whether the lad is going or not. If he is likely to stay on dry land with loved ones, the deposit on his behalf will be refunded (or applied to final payment for the two of you). so nothing lost if you decide before final payment (unless having a third person pushes you into a more expensive cabin category as a PP mentioned). If you make final payment for him then decide not to take him, You might have to pay a penalty....I am not sure as I have never cancelled a third person.

and remember, you have lots of time before final payment, so occasionally check prices for your cabin for three...you might catch a price drop or an upgrade opportunity:D

If you want to wait to book him, make sure you are in a cabin that holds 3 so that you won't have to upgrade (and possibly pay more money) to add him later. They should book him into the room without a penalty to your original booking; this is my recent experience.

The only problem, as others have mentioned, is if 3rd or more capacity is sold out, and only doubles are available. Then, you will have to keep looking until you see a triple open up again (it happens all the time) and book him while that space is available.

Archived