So Tell ME About Oceania?

Lightngsvt

I must say that Oceania tries to goose up the entertainment in the Caribbean, but this is an area where the fabulous food works against them.

People tend to do an extended cocktail hour before a leisurely dinner, or linger with friends over an exotic entree and a bottle of wine as opposed to rushing to a show.

Ahh! Thank you so much. A very informative descrition to an evening aboard an Oceania Caribbean cruise. Sounds terrific and something we thoroughly enjoy. Thanks so much for your reply, it's very helpful.

Thank you for all of the replies! So what is the average demographic on Ocruises, we are currently 39 and 40. Some have mentioned the feel or the rush of activites on the large X ships. Honestly I can say that we never felt rushed or even crowded on the Silhouette and this was during Spring Break. WE didnt visit any lectures and only went to one show so neither are top of our list, though entertainment options are nice to have. We found ourselves enjoying breakfast on our veranda, eating at the specialty restaurants, spending time by the pool, taking art classes, visiting the bars, etc. So based on that info do you feel we would truely enjoy an O cruise?

Apples to apples, say veranda room, how does O compare to X on a price point? Assuming we purchase the premium drink package and eat in the specialty restaurants 5 of 7 nights aboard? I assume that shore excursions, gratuities, etc would be pretty comparable?

but I would say that I feel Oceania is slightly higher, but well worth it. The restaurants and food quality alone are worth it. We have done at least 20 Celebrity cruises (combined with RCL before they ditched the butlers) and we did like Celebrity until they started charging for water!! In the top suite. Oceania does not do this in any part of the ship. I would say the demographic is slightly higher than Celebrity, but there are all ages. I didn't see a disco crowd though! LOL

For what it is worth I am going Oceania Riviera forever unless they cheapen the product. It is a lovely ship. However, the smaller Regatta was regal, just a little too small for me. I like the choices on Riviera/Marina.

As far as demographics are concerned I would say, mostly from USA but also CDN, UK, Australian, etc. Depends on the area where the ship is sailing too. I get the impression mostly retired, etc. If you are wondering about age, you are younger than average but see other threads with similar subject line for some good discussion. DW was was a little older when we first cruised on O but we have met younger too. It is more about attitude and interests than age really. We have enjoyed meeting many very interesting, personable and friendly people on O.

Not apples and apples to compare as too many intangibles and what is important to you. Is $ per sq foot of cabin or balcony primary or ambience of the cruise or 'forward-facing' music throughout the ship (been reading a few posts on the Celebrity board lately as we have been considering a ruise with them) or great food with smooth service or ...

If strictly a price comparison O will cost more. How much depends on what you choose, when and the extras. I suggest you pick an itinerary on O and then find the same on X, add in the air fare, O's deviation fee; drinks package on both if that interests you; etc.

Add in the extra's. No charge for soda pop or latte or bottled water, etc. All very nice. O's premium beverage package is better than X. OTOH excursion are very expensive - one we looked at on O was over $150 less for the very same excursion on another line. if you read through this board I am sure you'll fine most prefer to arrange their own excursion though regardless of the savings. Sometimes though a ship's excursion makes sense.

You might not get to enjoy the wonderful specialty restaurants 5 out of 7 nights. You are guaranteed one in each and might get more. These are at no charge. You can't buy your way in but might be able to get extra but tht depends very much on the pax mix and itinerary on that sailing. (okay, book a higher category and you can get a lot). However you also might find that the grills in Tapas on the Terrace at night serving up grilled to order shrimp or lobster and lamb chops and steak (every night - only on O-class for now) and an always changing menu ... might draw you away from the specialty restaurants anyway. On the O-class there is a foe-fee dining venue, La Reserve. In conjunction with Wine Spectator magazine they have small 28 seat dining room that has fabulous set menu / wine pairings.

O has a lot going for it and a faithful following but pricing model has changed (higher prices and seems like more last minute promotions)

Bottom line is we have very much enjoyed our cruises on O and looking forward to an upcoming cruise this August.

Remember that some 80 year olds have a younger approach to life than 20 year olds. I swear some people are born old whereas others reach out and enjoy life for the rest of their life. Once you are over 20, it does not matter who your travel companions are. Just find the ones who have plenty of life and a joy of living.

We did a family cruise and was impressed. Previously sailed on Royal Caribbean which is not better/worse just aimed at a different demographic.

The staff on Riviera were particularly impressive. Continually amazed at their tenacity.

Here is a 1-min 'thank you' video for our housekeeping superstars, Anna & Iryna on Riviera.

Check it out. Its kinda silly.

We did a family cruise and was impressed. Previously sailed on Royal Caribbean which is not better/worse just aimed at a different demographic.

The staff on Riviera were particularly impressive. Continually amazed at their tenacity.

Here is a 1-min 'thank you' video for our housekeeping superstars, Anna & Iryna on Riviera.

Check it out. Its kinda silly.

Fabulous! Thanks and recognition can go a long way for making a job that much more rewarding.

Remember that some 80 year olds have a younger approach to life than 20 year olds. I swear some people are born old whereas others reach out and enjoy life for the rest of their life. Once you are over 20, it does not matter who your travel companions are. Just find the ones who have plenty of life and a joy of living.

I agree to a certain extent with your statement but the couple is 39 & 40.

They maybe hard pressed to find couples to zip line or climb the tower of Pisa with on board.

Being the only couple to be slow dancing on the floor at 11:00am is romantic but not every night.

That is the physical reality of age.

I am fortunate to be a very fit and active 60 year old who has had the pleasure of enjoying the company of some very robust and active 80 year olds on cruises but while the mind may say yes the body will say no.

no fuss travel[/b] ]Remember that some 80 year olds have a younger approach to life than 20 year olds. I swear some people are born old whereas others reach out and enjoy life for the rest of their life. Once you are over 20, it does not matter who your travel companions are. Just find the ones who have plenty of life and a joy of living.

I agree to a certain extent with your statement but the couple is 39 & 40.

They maybe hard pressed to find couples to zip line or climb the tower of Pisa with on board.

Being the only couple to be slow dancing on the floor at 11:00am is romantic but not every night.

That is the physical reality of age.

I am fortunate to be a very fit and active 60 year old who has had the pleasure of enjoying the company of some very robust and active 80 year olds on cruises but while the mind may say yes the body will say no.

You know, every time this subject comes up, I tend to try to be very politically correct...But I do think baldercash is correct...and more.

First off, my wife and I are in our 50s...but, heck, we get older every day...and I will soon enough reach 60...

Every time we've cruised on Oceania, my wife asks me "So, I take it I'm going to be the youngest one on board again...the youngest on all our tours?"...The truth, for the most part, so far, has been yes...Well, not completely--we have met some others around our age and even a few younger, but the overwhelming majority of Oceania cruisers seem to be older and retired...

And, yes, there are some "seniors" in incredibly great shape who can keep up with us...and many are very interesting to talk with, fun, and, after awhile, you don't even notice the age difference...

On the other hand, we have also found ourselves at dinner at a shared table with several people who couldn't hear very well...or on tours or excursions with people who had trouble climbing stairs or in keeping up with the pace and slow down the group...

...and, yes, I am certain that soon enough, I may just be one of those...

I THINK I do well socializing with most age groups...I can certainly find things to talk about with people older than me...and am not unaccustommed to that...and, I keep fairly well abreast of current pop culture, listen to new music, stay tuned to current issues (heck, I have two twenty-something daughters, I have to)...So, I don't completely come across as a relic when socializing with those younger than myself...BUT, for all I know, Some of those older or younger than me might still percieve me as someone out of touch with where they are at...

I've sat down at shared dining room tables on Oceania and the conversation has been all about retirement, Medicare, surgeries, etc.

Truth is, that no matter how much we all like to say things like "Your'e only as old as you feel" or "Age is just a number" orwe want to believe that "Once you're an adult, age differences don't matter"...the fact is, they do...

Although most people can adapt to those around them and most may have excellent skills at conversation including recognizing the interests of others around them, truth is that most feel the most comfortable with others in their own age group. There are similar current interests. There is similar experienced history, etc.

Back when we were kids, yes, a seventh grader might not want to socialize at all with a sixth grader...and, as adults, those ranges are much wider...but still, a lot depends on what general stage of life one is at...

Right now, I can easily identify with others from about 40-65...I've still got maybe 8 to 10 years left to work before even thinking about retirement, I'm still putting one kid through school, my kids are still single and I have no grandkids, I've just paid off my mortgage, finally, I get a limited number of vacation days per year...I was a kid during the 60s, graduated high school and went to college in the 70s, got married and had kids and bought my first home in the 80s..."War" meant Vietnam, "Music" meant Folk Rock and Hair Bands and Heavy Metal...and we suffered through "Disco"...

There's an older group out there who are retired, no longer work, paid off their mortgages years ago and have since downsized or moved to a retirement community, their kids moved out of the house years ago and are married with homes and families of their own, "War" means WWII or Korea, "Music" means Elvis or Sinatra...

And, there's a younger demographic out there...They're not even thinking about retirement yet--just about moving up in their profession, they maybe just bought a house...or are still thinking about it...They may have kids--who they left home with the grandparents (If they were on a cruise other than Oceania, they would have taken them along), they're thinking aboiut the cost of schooling, they might have a large mortgage...and some outstanding college loans, to them "War" means Iraq, "Music" means Punk or Indie or Hip Hop (or one of seemingly hundreds of sub-genres)...

Now, these, of course, are broad generalizations...but, to some extent, they do describe different generations...

A conversation between generations may be interesting at times...but often it comes across like someone trying to talk to their parents...or their kids...

So, rather than trying to be completely politically correct, let's just be honest...

The general demographics on the typical Oceania cruise will be fairly way beyond the OP... That said, it DOES vary a little bit...They will likely find some other cruisers in their own age group--more on the bigger ships than the smaller ones just because of the numbers...The ships do quiet down incredibly after dinner (I tend to be somewhat of a night owl and, at times, I felt like I'm on a ghost ship)...

Anyone cruising any line has to ask themselves what they want from a cruise...Look at yourself first...If you want an entertaining and social experience with lots of nightlife and activity, there are some cruise lines for you...If you want an elegant, luxurious floating hotel where you can come back after a long day touring, get an elegant dinner and go to bed, then this might be your cruise line...Both are good--for different types of people...

But, IF you're in that first group...and you fit a different demographic than usually found on this line, you need to consider that...

That said, before last summer, I got a call from my cousin's son's girlfriend...The two of them (early 20s) wanted to take a cruise in the Mediterranean before she started her graduate school program...There was no way I would recommend Oceania for them...I did suggest Celebrity...But I also warned them that they would likely be the youngest folks on that ship--except maybe people taking their kids with them...

Well, these two went on the Celebrity Silhouette...and had a wonderful time...Of course, everyone they made friends with tended to be 20-30 years older than them--which they found almost funny, like they were hanging with their parents' friends...But they said they really enjoyed it...But, they're smart enough and social enough kids to bridge that gap...I don't think they would have had that much fun hanging with 65-90 year olds...

On our South Pacific cruise in February, it was the younger ones who crashed early and the dance floor was full of people 65 and up at 11 pm. Different strokes for different folks. There are a fair number of 40 year olds who will not do a zip line, or skydive from a plane and yet there are some 80 year olds who will do so. We just had a local newspaper write up an article not that long ago about how so many people aged 50 and up to 85 were taking up sky diving. Oh and for your information, we had people in their 40's talking about their grandchildren. We also ran into several people in their 60's who are not grandparents yet, with young adult children. You just can't classify everyone with the same brush.;)

On our South Pacific cruise in February, it was the younger ones who crashed early and the dance floor was full of people 65 and up at 11 pm. Different strokes for different folks. There are a fair number of 40 year olds who will not do a zip line, or skydive from a plane and yet there are some 80 year olds who will do so. We just had a local newspaper write up an article not that long ago about how so many people aged 50 and up to 85 were taking up sky diving. Oh and for your information, we had people in their 40's talking about their grandchildren. We also ran into several people in their 60's who are not grandparents yet, with young adult children. You just can't classify everyone with the same brush.;)

I DID say those were broad generalizations...

Obviously, there are exceptions...

But those ARE exceptions...

You seriously cannot think that anything more than a small percentage of 40 year olds are inactive grandparents who crash early...Or that any more than a VERY SMALL percentage of 80 year olds are skydivers by day and dancing up after eleven (Eleven?!? Seriously?)...

Your post is right on, you explained it perfectly.

I always enjoy your posts...I had you pegged as farther along in age, you have many interesting travels under you belt for being a 'youngster'.

(I have 2 married children in their early 30's & they aren't interested in the 'cruise thing' as they associate it to an older persons style of vacation. They book themselves 5star hotels & do their own thing, when they want & at their own pace). There is a cruise line for every type of traveler out there & it is up to the individual to decide which suits them best. I don't think that one ship can tick all the boxes so research is key to making a good choice.

I DID say those were broad generalizations...

Obviously, there are exceptions...

But those ARE exceptions...

You seriously cannot think that anything more than a small percentage of 40 year olds are inactive grandparents who crash early...Or that any more than a VERY SMALL percentage of 80 year olds are skydivers by day and dancing up after eleven (Eleven?!? Seriously?)...

No, but what I am saying is that each cruise is different and you may find the seniors are more active than their much younger counterparts were. I was actually surprised at how many people were up dancing late at night, but mind you the dance band was phenomenal, after how active most of the passengers had been during the day.:D

Archived