For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

Here is my passport update…I just received a letter from the state after waiting 6 weeks for my passport. In the letter it states that the names of both my mother and father are not on my birth certificate please submit a BC with you parents’ names so passport can be issued. This makes me sooo mad…first of all….when I applied at the county office the lady who looks over all your information making sure you have everything should have said something or stopped it. Second…the passport office should have let me know a lot sooner than 6 weeks later. :mad:

Believe it or not there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I called vital records and they told me to file for another BC long form (this has parents’ names on it). When you file make sure to go to the link were it says passports. This will help to speed you order in addition to paying extra fees to have it sent over night. I also ordered an extra BC in case the passport people do not get my passport to me in time after I send them my new one. The passport office ensured me I will get my passport in time everything is done they just need to see my new BC :(

What an expensive lesson to learn and it is not over yet not until I have either my BC or passport in hand. I wanted to post this.... it could help someone else. Make sure you have both your parents’ names on you BC if you don't you will not get your passport.

Sorry this was sooo long wish me luck that I get everything in on time!

I've Never had my passport stamped on a cruise. You can usuAlly go someplace to have it stAmped if you really want it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I've rarely had my stamped in Mexico and never in Canada. I did get stamped in Jamaica but no where else in the Caribbean regardless of whether we flew in or cruised. I do have stamps from Rome and London but I only know where they came from because I know where I went. They are very faint.

Here is my passport update…I just received a letter from the state after waiting 6 weeks for my passport. In the letter it states that the names of both my mother and father are not on my birth certificate please submit a BC with you parents’ names so passport can be issued. This makes me sooo mad…first of all….when I applied at the county office the lady who looks over all your information making sure you have everything should have said something or stopped it. Second…the passport office should have let me know a lot sooner than 6 weeks later. :mad:

Believe it or not there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I called vital records and they told me to file for another BC long form (this has parents’ names on it). When you file make sure to go to the link were it says passports. This will help to speed you order in addition to paying extra fees to have it sent over night. I also ordered an extra BC in case the passport people do not get my passport to me in time after I send them my new one. The passport office ensured me I will get my passport in time everything is done they just need to see my new BC :(

What an expensive lesson to learn and it is not over yet not until I have either my BC or passport in hand. I wanted to post this.... it could help someone else. Make sure you have both your parents’ names on you BC if you don't you will not get your passport.

Sorry this was sooo long wish me luck that I get everything in on time!

How weird that a certified copy of the birth certificate would not have the names on it. Who issued it?

I can see the birth record from the hospital being incomplete, but that is not a birth certificate [tho some people think it is - oops]

How weird that a certified copy of the birth certificate would not have the names on it. Who issued it?

I can see the birth record from the hospital being incomplete, but that is not a birth certificate [tho some people think it is - oops]

It all depends when the org. BC was issued..mine was 1990 those did not have names of parents on them. My husbands and my sister doesn't have names of parents on their org. BC either.

Somewhere, I read it said in 2009 it was enforced as a law that parents names must be on a state BC in order to get a passport. I never knew this until now...live and learn. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I applied for our passports on April 21, and received them in the mail today (6/7). So that took 6 weeks and 5 days, for those of you that are curious about how long it's taking now.

Lee

That was my DH's experience as well. We are in Texas.

His passport had been expired for a number of years but he applied as a renewal.

Applied April 21st.

Check Cashed April 29th.

Received June 6th (or 7th) - priority mail which is standard - did not pay extra.

6 1/2 weeks from application date; 5 1/2 weeks from check cashed date

He received his old passport back regular mail a couple of days later.

WOO HOO!!!! Got mine today!

Mine was for a renewal!

According to the tracking, they received my application on May 29, I received in the mail today! Not even 4 weeks!

Also, the status should processing yesterday, today it showed mailed with a tracking number, when I tracked it, it said delivered....

I am so relieved!

Edited by peacelovemickey

For any Canadians in the crowd, Herself and I renewed ours in early May; forms went in at the Victoria passport office on 6 May and we received them in the mail the 26th, I think it was. Just FYI.

I mailed my renewal application, etc. on May 16th. I used certified mail per application instructions, but didn't do any sort of expedited mail. My check was cashed on May 21st. I received the passport on June 20th. My old passport arrived about 3 or 4 days later.

At about the 4 week point I tried to request an email with my order status, but I never received an email - maybe because it was already en route to me? At any rate, I didn't have time to start getting worried too much.

Here's my experience:

My daughter was under 16 when her last passport was issued, and she is over 16 now, so the renewal is treated like a new application.

She appeared in person at our Town Hall on June 2, and her new passport arrived today, June 28.

WhooooHooooo I got my passport! :D

He is my story….

April 22nd applied for passport

June 10th received letter from state saying need a new BC with parents’ names

June 18th sent them my new BC

Received my passport July 1st with 4 days to spare before I go on my first cruise.:eek: :D

I renewed my passport Feb. 2013 even though it was not going to expire until Aug. 2013 but I was heading for Italy and it needed to be valid past the six months after I got back which was in Aug. I requested it the 2nd week of February and got it two weeks later. No Prob. But a friend did have to renew her passport she did it in at the beginning of June and got it mid July of last year. SO it can change based on the postal service(summer is vacation time for many) it can affect when you get it.:p

I know people often ask how long it takes. Although it may be different for some people, this is how long it took us to get ours.

Applied at post office afternoon of April 5th.

Received in the mail today, April 22nd.

We used ROUTINE service.

I'm guessing turnaround times will increase here shortly because vacation season is coming up. Hope this helps!

We did also had a turn around fast, I had it with in 10 days

Sent renewal application in 6/13, Priority mail but NOT expedited service. Received at Passport office 6/15. Check cashed 6/18.

Received passport 7/7.

Have not yet received old passport, but I think that's pretty fast.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

My wife applied for a new passport 6 weeks ago at local post office. Still haven't received it. Status sill says "being processed". We cruise to Alaska Sept 7. She is starting to freak out.

We didn't expedite because we had over 2 months and it seemed most people received their passports well under the 4-6 week time given by passport agency. But now with the Passport computer meltdown that happened around July 20th and still hasn't been completely fixed, we are starting to really worry.

Since it is a round trip Alaska cruise, she could have gone with just her birth certificate, but now we don't even have that.

Has anybody received their passports in the last week or so and when did you apply?

My wife applied for a new passport 6 weeks ago at local post office. Still haven't received it. Status sill says "being processed". We cruise to Alaska Sept 7. She is starting to freak out.

We didn't expedite because we had over 2 months and it seemed most people received their passports well under the 4-6 week time given by passport agency. But now with the Passport computer meltdown that happened around July 20th and still hasn't been completely fixed, we are starting to really worry.

Since it is a round trip Alaska cruise, she could have gone with just her birth certificate, but now we don't even have that.

Has anybody received their passports in the last week or so and when did you apply?

tmcon01, I also had problems but mine was because my BC did not have the names of my parents on it. I had to reorder my BC and resend it to get my passport. After I ordered it only took 2 days to get my BC. I ordered 2 just in case I did not get my passport in time ( took another 3 weeks to get passport). This way I had a BC to use to go on my cruise. It might be easier for your wife to get a new BC then wait for her passport especially if the passport agency is behind. You can get a BC the same day if she lives in the state where she was born. I live in a different state than where I was born so I had to order mine. This way she will have peace of mind knowing she can still go on your cruise as she is waiting for her passport. This is what I did and it worked out great and yes I did receive my passport in time...4 days before my cruise. :cool: Good luck!!!

My biggest concern is what happened to you. That in another week or so they will contact us and say there is a problem and there won't be enough time to fix it.

As the county clerks office at where she was born is 500 miles away, we went ahead and ordered another birth certificate through Vitalchek (yesterday). I have read a lot of bad reviews about Vitalchek, but I've also found a lot of good ones too. Just hoping ours is a good one.

In any case we have a backup plan in place now and hopefully one of the two come through. But for the moment it just gives my wife one more thing to worry about.

tmcon01, another thing you may want to try which I did is call the passport agency and demand to talk to a supervisor do not back down. I feel the supervisor was the one who got my passport sent to me on time. Now, if you call tell them when your trip is and the supervisor will find out what the hold up is. Because if you talk to any of the other agents they will say don't worry if you have not received a letter or in my case I did get a letter now they wanted another $70 to have passport expedited which I did not do. I sent my app. in April and here it was June no way was I going to give them more money. I wish you and your wife all the best!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just did a regular renewal.

Sent 8-5

Recieved 8-8

Payment processed 8-13

Email notification of processing 8-14

E-mail notification of delivery 8-29

Arrived priority mail on 8-30

25 day turn around is pretty good if you ask me. Hope everyone has the same experience, painless.

We applied for our passports on May 1 and received them on May 10th without paying for expedited service. Mine was a renewal and The Hubbs' was his first application.

The only glitch was that his original birht certificate wasn't good enough because it did not have his parents' names on it. He was able to get a new BC same day at a different government office.

In Pennsylvania also and have been waiting over a month to get my birth certificate. My original one didn't have my parents' names on it either and was unacceptable. Only in Pennsylvania!!! I can't even apply for a passport until I get the proper birth certificate.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent 8-5

Recieved 8-8

Payment processed 8-13

25 day turn around is pretty good if you ask me. Hope everyone has the same experience, painless.

Good turnaround time for sure.

My husband just did a renewal the end of August. Printed the forms off the internet, photo at a local drugstore and mailed out. Received it back in just under 3 weeks. No issues. We were happy with the time frame.

Sent 8-5

Recieved 8-8

Payment processed 8-13

Handed mine to mail lady (priority mail) 9/5 after lunch.

Normal processing (no rush service)

Payment check cleared 9/11

Uncle Sam wasted no time cashing my check. :roll eyes:

New (renewal) passport in my mailbox when i got home from work 9/22

Not sure of the actual date it got there as I was on the road,m but it was issued 9/18