For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

Had to send DW's passport in for correction, evidently after 21 years of marriage I do not know how to spell her middle name correctly:o. Anyway, they received it on March 5th and it was in our post office box yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
My daughters are adopted, and they are requesting original birth certificates from their birth country. I can't even imagine what it might take to make that happen, but I'm pretty certain it won't happen by our travel date even if it's possible.

There is a Federal Law called the Child Citizenship Act that pertains to our situation. There is even a section about it under the passport section of the State Department's website, that states exactly what you need to apply for a passport for your child. We have provided all of the information they need. They absolutely do not need an original foreign birth certificate, and I have no idea why they are asking for it. It could only possibly pertain if they are under the mistaken assumption that they are our biological children that happened to be born outside of the U.S. I would have thought the certified adoption decrees included with our paperwork would have cleared that up.... but who knows?

How come they didn't give you there birth certificate's when you adopted your daughters?

Edited by mattmax11

We have a large group cruising in May. A few in our group had to apply for new passports and since it was over two months away, just sent them off with no special handling. WELL, now they find they need the passports to check-in...no biggie as they will have them in time, BUT they need them to book the Amtrak tickets that the rest of us are using to get to our embarkation point in Vancouver, B.C. Aggggh. Amtrak will NOT let us book the train until they have the passports...REALLY??? I can book a flight without one, but have to show it before I get on the plane. So...like I said you are making me hopeful they will arrive soon so we can get their tickets for the train. :cool:

I took my application, documents and photos to the post office today to apply for my passport. I am only doing normal processing and mailing time, not priority at all. I thought about doing the book and card, but decided that the passport was sufficient and we didn't need to waste the money on the card also.

My husband will be doing the same thing in the next couple of weeks, as we needed to order his birth certificate.

I am so frustrated. My sister who is cruising with me in 2 weeks (hopefully) went to post office back in early February and paid for passport and photo without expediting. March 3rd she received notice that they could not process passport because the photo the post office took was too large. Post office took new photo on march 5th and resent. Still today, no passport and online database shows they could not find any info on her passport. Seriously???!! She is going to call tomorrow and find out what is going on but I am getting really nervous that it won't get here in time.

Also, she lost her certified birth certificate as she left post office and putting in passport application. All we have is a copy of her birth certificate. I just paid $50 for a expedited copy of it to be sent which takes 5-7 business days then UPS air shipping. We sail April 25th...hopefully

I applied for my passport at the local post office on March 13, and received the passport on April 8.

Took my 2 sons to the post office on April 9 to apply for their passports (they didn't go with me because I had to wait for them to be on vacation from school). Hopefully, it takes about the same time to get theirs back.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine took exactly a month. This was for a renewal with a name change (to my married name). Mailed it out at the post office on March 27th under normal processing and received it today, April 27th. Have not received my passport card, though, as it looks like that will be mailed separately.

I took my application, documents and photos to the post office today to apply for my passport. I am only doing normal processing and mailing time, not priority at all. I thought about doing the book and card, but decided that the passport was sufficient and we didn't need to waste the money on the card also.

My husband will be doing the same thing in the next couple of weeks, as we needed to order his birth certificate.

I received my email yesterday stating that my passport has been mailed and I should expect it by May 9th. Provided this is correct, not too bad as I applied on April 11th.

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking a cruise on Oct 3rd and going to apply for our passports next week when we have a day off together. My county library has a passport service. Going months in advance in case an issue arises or they take longer then 6 weeks to process.

I have always used my birth certificate with my past 6 cruises, but it is time to get the passports.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband took our 3-year-old grandson to get his passport on May 18 with expedited handling. We're cruising June 21, but I was still anxious because we had extra legal paperwork (custody & consent forms) to include. So happy we just received his passport in the mail today!

I'm currently on this forum because I'm cruising tomorrow, but I had a trip planned to Paris over Memorial Day weekend. While packing the day before departure, I realized that my new be renewed passport was nowhere to be found. The next morning. - the day of departure, I contacted the airline and they told me that they had recently opened a passport office near me in Dallas. By visiting that office, and paying expedited processing fees, I had a passport in my hand in under 90 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Took 24 days from when I put in the application at the post office to passport arriving in my mailbox. One week later passport card showed up. Still have not received my birth certificate back yet and has been a week since the card arrived.

Took 24 days from when I put in the application at the post office to passport arriving in my mailbox. One week later passport card showed up. Still have not received my birth certificate back yet and has been a week since the card arrived.

The post office didn't take my documents they photocopied everything and I didn't have to leave my birth certificates and things with them.

But I've seen lots of people have to leave their original documents, which I was expecting to happen