How far could this virtual thing really go?

I've been thinking about all the virtual projection on board Quantum and why she was named what she was and it's led my to wonder how far they might take the virtual reality and how cool it could be.

1. The unnamed more to come space next to Seaplex could become a virtual reality complex complete with virtual golf for the avid golfers (we have one in our mall...very popular), virtual Nascar, virtual flight simulator, virtual baseball, virtual bowling, virtual skeet shooting, etc.

2. The dining room could have scenery projected onto the walls to reflect the theme of the night (kudos to the poster who came up with that one).

3. Virtual Karaoke Bar where you can sing with a hologram of your favorite singer (sing along with originals by Lady Gaga, Frank Sinatra, etc.)

Some of these concepts are fetched for the ship, but all are real and currently used innovations outside of a ship. How about it... do you think they'll reveal more virtual reality innovations our have we seem them all?

I've been thinking about all the virtual projection on board Quantum and why she was named what she was and it's led my to wonder how far they might take the virtual reality and how cool it could be.

1. The unnamed more to come space next to Seaplex could become a virtual reality complex complete with virtual golf for the avid golfers (we have one in our mall...very popular), virtual Nascar, virtual flight simulator, virtual baseball, virtual bowling, virtual skeet shooting, etc.

2. The dining room could have scenery projected onto the walls to reflect the theme of the night (kudos to the poster who came up with that one).

3. Virtual Karaoke Bar where you can sing with a hologram of your favorite singer (sing along with originals by Lady Gaga, Frank Sinatra, etc.)

Some of these concepts are fetched for the ship, but all are real and currently used innovations outside of a ship. How about it... do you think they'll reveal more virtual reality innovations our have we seem them all?

I think RCI has just scratched the surface with virtual reality and other technology in how it will be used in the future.

I look forward to seeing the Schooner Bar wall with a virtual view of active Sea life.

In addition to the things that you have already mentioned I see the ceilings in public areas having animated scenery.

I love the interactive TV in our stateroom and I think in the future there will be cameras all over the ship showing all the public areas and we will be able to select the area of the ship we want to see before we leave our stateroom.

I think RCI has just scratched the surface with virtual reality and other technology in how it will be used in the future.

I look forward to seeing the Schooner Bar wall with a virtual view of active Sea life.

In addition to the things that you have already mentioned I see the ceilings in public areas having animated scenery.

I love the interactive TV in our stateroom and I think in the future there will be cameras all over the ship showing all the public areas and we will be able to select the area of the ship we want to see before we leave our stateroom.

I love ALL of those ideas! I would also LOVE to see a Planetarium in the theaters when the shows are not scheduled to utilize that space

I know this will never happen, but, how about a virtual glass bottomed boat effect?

Project what is happening under the ship on a screen under a clear floor. I'm not so sure I want to see what is under the ship while docked in ports though...

Eric

Unless I'm reading this wrong....

We will have more Virtual venues coming for Quantum

From the Royal Caribbean Blog today:

"Royal Caribbean is busy finishing plans to build its next cruise ship, Quantum of the Seas, and it has tapped design firm 5+design Studio to help create the cutting-edge venues aboard the ship.

Tim Magill, partner of 5+design, commented on designing Quantum of the Seas' venues, "There has never been anything like Two70 on land, let alone sea. It exemplifies our idea of transformational environments – creating the framework for wide range of activities and uses within one space.”

Royal Caribbean has tapped 5+design to create Two70 and Vistarama venues aboard Quantum of the Seas...."

Now back to figuring out what those venues might be! My top votes would still be for a Planetarium on the ceiling of the main theater AND for a virtual reality complex for all the sports enthusiasts out there (get your golf on, your bowling on, etc.)

I know this will never happen, but, how about a virtual glass bottomed boat effect?

Project what is happening under the ship on a screen under a clear floor. I'm not so sure I want to see what is under the ship while docked in ports though...

Eric

Reminds me of this idea ...

If anyone enjoys a game of golf and is interested what the golf simulator might be like, this is a link to the company that has a simulator in our mall. It is a 2 min. video showing what virtual golf is like....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived