Anyone know what this sickness was?

RedLightVegas

I know this is a weird question. I just got off the Epic (which I will post a short review of later with some pictures).

On the 2nd full sea day of the cruise started feeling really tired and kind of sick to my stomach. We went to Moderno that night and the back of the boat was rocking kind of hard. I ate, and ate well but didn't feel good the entire time and ended up getting lightheaded while waiting in line for BMG and we canceled our show visit that night and I went to bed. The next day in St Maarten I felt fine. But that night when we got back I threw up. We went to Taste for dinner and I was so sick I couldn't even eat. Went back to the room, got the shakes, couldn't stop throwing up. Ended up sleeping for almost 12 hours, woke up the next day for St Thomas and felt absolutely fine. The sickness never came back and I was fine for the entire rest of the cruise.

Was this norovirus? I've never had that happen to be on a boat before and didn't know if anyone else had ever experienced anything like it. I never took any medicine for it, just pretty much slept from 7pm-7am and it seemed to do the trick.

There's a very nasty stomach virus going around right now. The symptoms are very similar to what you experienced. I have friends all over the Northeast and most of them have had it pass through their homes over the last two weeks. A good friend in NY just had it hit her the night before last as she was leaving work. She's a nurse and said that they've had a lot of people coming into the ER with the virus.

I'm 27 years old. I figured it was just a 24 hour bug or something but didn't know if anyone had ever gotten anything like this while at sea.

I've never gotten motion sickness at sea so I didn't think that had anything to with it and I didn't know what the symptoms of the norovirus were so I asked. Thanks peeps!

There's a very nasty stomach virus going around right now. The symptoms are very similar to what you experienced. I have friends all over the Northeast and most of them have had it pass through their homes over the last two weeks. A good friend in NY just had it hit her the night before last as she was leaving work. She's a nurse and said that they've had a lot of people coming into the ER with the virus.

Something similar has been going around Texas, but it involves more than vomiting. The stomach issues seem to last only a day or two, but intestinal issues can last up to a week. I work from home but picked it up from my son who goes to daycare. Other people I work with had similar experiences with their kids coming home from school or daycare with it and then spreading it to others in the house.

Think it was just a bug but more than likely it was seasickness.

I never have any problems with seasickness/motion sickness but the one time it did hit me out of 51 cruises, wow.

If noro virus or food poisoning, you would not have woken up the next day and made it to St. Maarten.

Hope you are feeling better now.

If you got more than twelve feet away from a toilet for a 2 1/2 day stretch..... well, it wasn't Noro.

Possibly a little surprise from Chef Sal Monela.

Or a bit of seasickness honking the inner ear.

At 27 it probably wasn't a BP or cardiac issue.

Oh no :eek: Stay away virus.

Without diarrhea and fever and awful symptoms, it does not sound like noro to me.

There are many possibilities, but, as the ship was rocking, I'd guess seasickness. Maybe try some meds next time. I do not generally get seasick. I also tolerate the seasickness meds well. So, if I get a mild queasy headache on ship, I will pop a seasickness pill from guest services along with a tylenol, hoping to nip any possible motion sickness in the bud. I admit, if I got those same symptoms at home, I'd just take the tylenol.

Would it have been appropriate to report an illness like this to the ship doctor? I know you would run the risk of getting quarantined, but if it was something more serious it would have been better to isolate it. Thoughts?

I'm sure it should have been reported, but he definitely would have been quarantined. But if it was Noro, I wonder how many other people were exposed and got sick as well.

Most people would probably be trying to convince themselves it was bad sea legs and by the time they figured it out, it would be all over the ship like wildfire.

Sometimes it is just a bad combination of foods and drink that do not set well with our stomachs in addition to the rocking of the ship. There does not appear to be enough symptoms to suggest it was the noro virus. However, I am no doctor. ;)

yes, sometimes it is just a bad combination of food. I always bring alka seltzer and pepto tablets just in case. I had a bad night on the Jewel from having too much Pepsi and Chocolate-

did anything not taste right at Moderno?

To the previous poster in this thread- Go Phils! Have the game on now

Sometimes it is just a bad combination of foods and drink that do not set well with our stomachs in addition to the rocking of the ship. There does not appear to be enough symptoms to suggest it was the noro virus. However, I am no doctor. ;)

Not a dr. here either, I'm former EMT and DW is a RN, this was not, REPEAT NOT, noro. We both had it, me not as bad as her, BUT nonetheless this is not that. Also doesn't sound like motion sickness either. Perhaps A bad mix of food or food poisoning, goes away when food is out of your system.

I quarantined myself to my room for the night. And told myself that if I woke up the next day and still felt horrible that I WOULD report it to the ships doctor. I just didn't want to jump the gun, report it, then him tell me to stay in my room for the rest of the cruise. That would've sucked beyond belief. Plus I'm not the type of person that goes to the doctor everytime they sneeze. I was smart enough to know that it probably was a stomach bug and there was no reason to go. Which is what it sounds like it ended up being. I only asked on this board because I've never had noro, didn't really know 100% on what it was so I thought I'd ask.

On the 2nd cruise - on the Star Princess 1989, on the 2nd day I was feeling the same as OP so on the 2nd night I went to room early in the evening and threw up.

I slept well and felt fine the next day and for the rest of the cruise.

Result - too much excitement and too much rich foods and that took hold of my body. As well as some swaying of the ship.

The same thing happened again on the NCL Spirit - on the 2nd day too - it was after 9 years absence from cruising and it was because of the swaying of the ship (seas were smooth).

Ever since then I have not had any problem.

OP did NOT have noro - she was having a wee trouble adjusting ....

Funny we just got off the Star...from Sun-Tues, my DH became lethargic, upset stomach, could not eat, kept sleeping and was extremely weak. I followed on Tues-Thurs, never got off the boat to Belize on Wed. , ran a high fever, no vomit, upset stomach and slept the whole time,,,we couldn't figure it out, and the seas were fine???

Archived