Tendering in and walking around(inside the gate) alone?

msquared8907

Ok so I am going on the Magic with my boyfriend and one other couple. Boyfriend wants to dive, and the other couple wants to do cave tubing. I am not interested in either but have never been to Belize and don't want to miss out experiencing it. I see that the shops area where you get tendered into is gated. I'm assuming that's going to be all tourists from the cruise ship and I will be fine exploring and shopping on my own. People that have been here what do you think?

Inside the gate is very safe, nice shops. There's a very nice bar/restaurant that overlooks the water to stop for a cool drink. Outside the gate you will be hounded relentlessly. Do not even think of going outside the gate alone.

You read so many different opinions on outside the gate. I was there 2 weeks ago and walked back and forth several times with no problems whatsoever as far as being hounded. Several people asked me politely if I needed anything and that was it, so I am not sure where all the fear comes from ?

Inside the gate is very safe, nice shops. There's a very nice bar/restaurant that overlooks the water to stop for a cool drink. Outside the gate you will be hounded relentlessly. Do not even think of going outside the gate alone.

Very Safe inside the gate! You'll be absolutely fine and will be able to find enough shopping to amuse yourself.

The Wet Lizard is a fun restaurant/bar overlooking the water front and you won't feel strange going there alone.

LuLu

~~~~

Was just there two weeks ago. Safe inside the gate; some nice shopping and refreshments. Shop at "All Things Belize" near back pier for better deals on T-shirts. Make sure to get a Belikin beer and conch fritters at Wet Lizard or just a couple of Belikins at Cate's Thirsty Pirate Bar on the waterfront :)

You can alway do what we did and join other people from the ship and go on a guided tour of the city given by one of the tour guides offering tours on buses there. We has a good tour and it wasn't too expenive or too long. :) There are offical guides right there in the port there that offer the tours so you aren't wandering off by yourself or anything but this way you will get to see some of the countryside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been to Belize multiple times and if you are street-wise, you will be safe outside the gated terminal area in a group. I would never suggest that someone venture out there alone.

A few years ago, my 70-something in-laws and our teen daughter went outside of the gated area to the flea market area and on their way back, some "helpful" locals showed them another entrance back to the ship. It was NOT actually a legitimate entry, and our teen realized it, since she has been to Belize multiple times. She politely said, no, we are going back this way, and they were all safe and walked back to the actual entry area, but I am pretty sure they were trying to take advantage of the group, as my father-in-law had earlier given money to someone who was pan-handling and the group was being hounded for more.

My husband and I have been offered drugs in Belize on numerous occasions, so just be aware.

--Susan

you will be safe inside the gate, although i wouldnt really call that "experiencing" belize.

So I've read through this thread and was wondering what would those of you who have been to Belize really recommend to "experience" Belize? What would one really want to see if they go to Belize? Spiders in the jungle is just not my thing but my hobby is photography so I'm always looking for something more than the shopping mall - even though I'll stop there too! ;)

Poolguppy,

When we visited Belize used a local guide for cave tubing. The caves are located in their National Park not far from border of Honduras. I wish back then had my camera with me since scenery was breath taking. Get outside of Belize City and enjoy yourself!

So I've read through this thread and was wondering what would those of you who have been to Belize really recommend to "experience" Belize? What would one really want to see if they go to Belize? Spiders in the jungle is just not my thing but my hobby is photography so I'm always looking for something more than the shopping mall - even though I'll stop there too! ;)

although I like belize city, and think it's fine to explore as long as you say no to things you don't want and no to anyone asking you to follow them, the country is really beautiful once you leave the city. lamanai has amazing maya ruins spread throughout the jungle and usually involves a boat ride to get there with a lot of photo opportunities. snorkeling the reef or visiting one of the cayes can be a good way to experience belize as well. altun ha is a good trip too, just not as fantastic as lamanai.

Archived