Advice needed on day-&-a-half in rome

skf

We arrive in Rome at 9:30 AM Saturday, 7 Sept. Ruby Princess sails Mon, 9 Sept.

Does anyone have advice on the best use of our time there? We are more interested in using the Metro & walking than a guided tour.

Our hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn up by the Villa Borghese.

Thanx in advance, Steve

We arrive in Rome at 9:30 AM Saturday, 7 Sept. Ruby Princess sails Mon, 9 Sept.

Does anyone have advice on the best use of our time there? We are more interested in using the Metro & walking than a guided tour.

Our hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn up by the Villa Borghese.

Thanx in advance, Steve

Here's how we spent our first (port day) in Rome and a couple of pre-cruise days in Rome...

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518706

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1733772

Your hotel is quite a bit past Villa Borghese, but still only a couple of miles from the heart of the historic center.

It's hard to make suggestions without a bit more information. Have you been to Rome before? Are you interested in the iconic sites, or something more esoteric?

As a general thought, I find it easier to adjust to the time change when outdoors, so that would drive my goals on Saturday.

Have not been to Rome. It looks like there's so much to do, how do you decide? I guess we'd stick to the "iconic sites". Is the Sistine & Vatican doable on this time schedule? I realize the Chapel & Vatican Museum are closed Sundays. After flying all night I don't expect we'd be up until midnight Satuday.

Many thanks, Steve & Pete & Peter

Actually after flying all night the best advice is to NOT go to your hotel and take a nap. Stay up - walk and try to wait until it is time to go to sleep on LOCAL time. It will acclimate you to Europe time better.

Our first trip over we arrived about the same time and had the same time frame as you.

We managed to cover a lot ! The Vatican museums, Sistine chapel and St. Peters CAN be done in a long morning. Then we did the Coliseum and Forum in the afternoon. We also walked in the evenings and saw the Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon and a bit more. But we were at a hotel that allowed us to walk all over versus using the metro or a bus etc...

For your first trip I would stick the big items..... we are heading back in October for our 4th time and looking to do some of the items we haven't covered yet :D

In terms of jet lag, everyone is different and you've got to figure out what works best for your body, which often is only learned through trial and error.

If the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel are important to you, I'd book that (do make reservations in advance, here: http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html) first thing Monday morning, and plan to head to Civitavecchia afterward.

For me, on arrival day sometimes I take a short nap and sometimes not, it depends on how I feel. In all cases, however, I need to be outdoors in order to adjust. If find this is true even when I travel in the winter.

So, I'd suggest the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine hill for your arrival afternoon. The ticket is a combination for all three sites and is good for two days, so if you start to flag after seeing the Colosseum, for example, you can go back on Sunday to see the rest.

One nice thing about the location of your hotel is the #3 tram. You can take it from the hotel right to the Colosseum: http://infopoint.atac.roma.it/navigator.asp?ContextName=c66e92d2-3005-4b25-a6c3b44857bd6ba5-5177e1d3&bwreturn=1

Don't be discouraged by how long it takes - if you look at the map in the link above you'll see that the tram isn't making the most direct line to the Colosseum, but it's a lot easier than taking two (or more) buses.

Returning to your hotel from the historic center is a little more challenging by mass transit.

One bus route that goes from Piazza Chigi (just off Via Tritone, near the Trevi Fountain) to your neighborhood is the #52. The third from the last stop, Archimede (the first Archimede stop, there are three) is just under a mile from your hotel. http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&xmax=2311710&ymax=4645261&xmin=2310310&ymin=4643861&idmtram=52712&percorso=52A&tipologia=CIR&linea=52&impianto=81311&circo=SI

At least you're not as far away at the HGI than I am - I'm staying at the Cavalieri! But, it's free, and I get free breakfast, so I'm not whining:D

My anti-jetlag thing is to take a 30 minute "power nap" around 3pm. Not sure why, but that always works for me. Otherwise, my brain is always thinking "gut it out, gut it out" and I don't enjoy myself as much.

Euro Cruiser gave some wonderful tram/bus info to you. Be sure to use it. Pick out just a few "must see" things - don't clog up your whole time with them. You have to leave a little time for just walking around, taking in the Roman atmosphere. When you start to sag a little, find a cute little outdoor cafe, sit down, order something PLUS a large bottle of water (bubbles or no bubbles), and relax. Being outdoors will recharge you!

I would suggest buying a Rome guide book or 3 or 4, preferably one with lots of pictures and walking maps. Most of them will include self guided tours that cover Rome in 1 or 2 days visiting sights that are specific to your interests.

The personal insights you get on this forum are invaluable but everyones' interests vary.

The HGI is still new to Hilton (joined about 5 months ago); some will remember it by it's other name, the Claridge. Be sure to have the address printed out for any drivers/taxis you take, just in case! From another site I frequent, the people there say there is a market across the street and a bank with a Bancomat just down the block. I haven't stayed there, but it receives good comments over on that website (NOT TripAdvisor) where the contributors to the conversation are HHonors members. They can be a tough bunch!

Do you have any status with Hilton? Golds and Diamonds can ask for a late checkout without a fee, if available. Otherwise, it is up to the policy of the hotel for letting you check out late. But, there should be no problem at all with leaving your bags with the Bell staff and coming back later for them. That's pretty standard across the Hilton family.

Reading their web site, it looks like the Vatican Museums will check your luggage: http://www.museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Consigli.html

Therefore, if you're using a car service to get to the port, it makes sense to take your luggage to the museums with you and check it, then have the car service pick you up there when you're ready to head to Civitavecchia.

Archived