Is Carnival still FUN?

theaviator85

Well basically here's my dilema. I need a good vacation with me and my partner and thought what about a cruise! So I have been looking at rates and have came to the conclusion that Carnival was the winner. So I have a few questions:

1. I have cruised on Carnival before (think early 2000s late 90s) when I was teenager with my parents. I know we were constantly on cruises so I guess maybe like 10 or 11. My partner was also in the military, and I read there was a discount for that too? Is there any sort of discounts or anything I get for taking so many cruises?

2. What do you think is the best sailing out right now for either June, July, August, or September or which is a good month to go? Hopefully something at least 7 nights long. I live in FL and can get free airline tickets to almost anywhere in the world (I am a pilot and not only that I know people...lol).

3. My partner's parents are loaded (but very kind-hearted and easy-going people) and they have sailed almost exclusively with Cunard along with my partner. His parents would be joining us. I think Carnival is definitely a few steps down from Cunard but would it be incredibly noticeable and different experience?

4. How are the gyms on board? We like to go at least 3 times a week to stay in shape and would love to workout at least once.

5. Inside, Oceanview, or Balcony? Love having natural light, so I guess it's more of Oceanview or Balcony...

6. Okay almost done. Is Carnival still fun? I remember going on these cruises years ago and me and my brother would have a blast. I've heard a lot of negative things about Carnival lately. We're two men in our late 20s can we still have fun on Carnival?

Wow just realized that looked really long. Sorry this is my first time on this board if I did something wrong. THANK YOU, if you've actually taken time to read this! :D

There's military rates. I booked one for our upcoming cruise in a couple months with no problem. Same rate as the past guest but with on board credit. There's upgrades though with past guest rates so I'd compare the two.

Carnival isn't really comparable to Cunard... That may be a big leap if they're really into luxury cruising like that. I'd probably personally cruise out of FL or try a Europe itinerary (although I personally feel that other lines have better European itineraries). Celebrity is offering free drink packages, free gratuities and free on board credit with their summer European sailings which is an AMAZING deal. Wish I could hop over easily this summer but not in the cards. :(

Gyms are fine on Carnival and all the ones I've used have been nice. I think Carnival is fun. I'm in my 20's, DH is in his 30's. I think your biggest issue may be your partners parents truthfully.

For working out which rate works best for you, itineraries, etc., rather than trying to figure it out on your own, you should use a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). You don't get a better deal than you would booking yourself, but it helps to have someone who is knowledgeable about the product (so many customer service reps are not). Also, if you have any questions, issues, or see a lower price after you book, you can call your PVP directly and he/she can help you (rather than speaking to a different person every time you call Carnival who is not familiar with your booking).

http://www.carnival.com/bonvoyage/cms/fun/click2_call/default.aspx

For the record, I have fun on every Carnival cruise, which is why I keep coming back. Cunard is a very different animal though. Never been, but I had a client who raved about her Cunard cruise. When I told her I was going on Carnival she smiled politely and said, "That's nice." :(

Also, be aware that the months you listed are considered hurricane season in the Caribbean. I've cruised twice during hurricane season (with a third planned this August). The worst thing I experienced was a port change. No big deal. Others may skip a port and have an extra sea day, or you just may get foul weather the entire time. If you plan on sailing during these months, consider purchasing trip insurance.

My only concern would be the parents, just depends on their attitude. If they are going to be xepct luxury, they will be disappointed.

I like cruising in September and only cruise out of Florida. Its a roll of the dice with the hurricanes, but I figure its worth the risk, they aren;t going to risk the safety and investment in the ships.

Military rates are not available on every sailing, and also not always the lowest. We loook at them, but rarely end up booking them.

I tihnk cruises are a great vacation. We leave cell phones in the car, and its wonderful to be just focused on each other. Having the parents with you affects that a bit, but if everyne goes in with the attitude that all are on vacation and all do what they want, its a great option because there are so many different things to do, for all personalities.

I say go for it!

1. I have cruised on Carnival before (think early 2000s late 90s) when I was teenager with my parents. I know we were constantly on cruises so I guess maybe like 10 or 11. My partner was also in the military, and I read there was a discount for that too? Is there any sort of discounts or anything I get for taking so many cruises?

They do have a discount or rate for military. I would call and ask to see what you can get. They have rates for past guests, Florida residents, and their current sales. You have to compare and see which one works best.

2. What do you think is the best sailing out right now for either June, July, August, or September or which is a good month to go? Hopefully something at least 7 nights long. I live in FL and can get free airline tickets to almost anywhere in the world (I am a pilot and not only that I know people...lol).

I have been looking at the cruises for August and the price seems to hike up. Also remember that there will likely be more kids June through August.

3. My partner's parents are loaded (but very kind-hearted and easy-going people) and they have sailed almost exclusively with Cunard along with my partner. His parents would be joining us. I think Carnival is definitely a few steps down from Cunard but would it be incredibly noticeable and different experience?

Never been to Cunard but looking at the photos, I would say yes. Definitely the crowd and attire will be more laid back.

4. How are the gyms on board? We like to go at least 3 times a week to stay in shape and would love to workout at least once.

The gym in the Glory was pretty big and had a good selection of machines and cardio equipment. There's spinning and other classes.

5. Inside, Oceanview, or Balcony? Love having natural light, so I guess it's more of Oceanview or Balcony...

Money not being an issue, then go for a cabin with a view. Some people love the balconies. But if you are rarely going to be in the room, what's the point of having a balcony. First cruise had a ocean view. I was rarely even in the room except to sleep. Second cruise I was in an interior and didn't really care about the view since again, only there to sleep, shower, and change. If you are spending more time in the room, you might want the view or even the balcony. Someday I would like to experience a balcony.

6. Okay almost done. Is Carnival still fun? I remember going on these cruises years ago and me and my brother would have a blast. I've heard a lot of negative things about Carnival lately. We're two men in our late 20s can we still have fun on Carnival?

There will always be those that have different experiences on the same cruise. Some people hate the food and others rave about it. Some people enjoy the shows and others hate them. I think the service is great, I did enjoy the shows, and the food had it's ups and downs. But I had a great time on my two cruises. Attitude makes a big difference.

Wow just realized that looked really long. Sorry this is my first time on this board if I did something wrong. THANK YOU, if you've actually taken time to read this! :D

There are a lot of things to do during sea days. There's cheezy activities, games, trivia, pool side movies, dancing, comedy shows, meetings for LGBT, and more.

You'll have to get on a travel website and really start comparing itineraries and times you want to go so I'm not going to delve too much into that.

Carnival is not Cunard. Not by a long shot. If his parents are used to Cunard, and the last time YOU cruised was in the early 2000's, you might want to take a step up from Carnival. I would say a suite on Carnival but all that gets you is a bigger room, so forget that. Try Princess or Celebrity or Holland America for a more casual line that is still "up there" a bit. Even Royal Caribbean is going to be a step up. If it's just you and your partner and you want a fun cruise for not a lot of money, go Carnival and check it out. I would just hate to have his parents dragging on you guys if they're severely disappointed.

For working out which rate works best for you, itineraries, etc., rather than trying to figure it out on your own, you should use a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). You don't get a better deal than you would booking yourself, but it helps to have someone who is knowledgeable about the product (so many customer service reps are not). Also, if you have any questions, issues, or see a lower price after you book, you can call your PVP directly and he/she can help you (rather than speaking to a different person every time you call Carnival who is not familiar with your booking).

http://www.carnival.com/bonvoyage/cms/fun/click2_call/default.aspx

For the record, I have fun on every Carnival cruise, which is why I keep coming back. Cunard is a very different animal though. Never been, but I had a client who raved about her Cunard cruise. When I told her I was going on Carnival she smiled politely and said, "That's nice." :(

Also, be aware that the months you listed are considered hurricane season in the Caribbean. I've cruised twice during hurricane season (with a third planned this August). The worst thing I experienced was a port change. No big deal. Others may skip a port and have an extra sea day, or you just may get foul weather the entire time. If you plan on sailing during these months, consider purchasing trip insurance.

I will be calling Carnival tomorrow and will speak with one of these PVPs. And I think his parents will be fine on Carnival (they will probably book the most expensive room though), they seem to be okay with it when I mentioned Carnival. Port changes won't bother me, I haven't been to anywhere in a long time so I'm pretty open. Thanks!

There's military rates. I booked one for our upcoming cruise in a couple months with no problem. Same rate as the past guest but with on board credit. There's upgrades though with past guest rates so I'd compare the two.

Carnival isn't really comparable to Cunard... That may be a big leap if they're really into luxury cruising like that. I'd probably personally cruise out of FL or try a Europe itinerary (although I personally feel that other lines have better European itineraries). Celebrity is offering free drink packages, free gratuities and free on board credit with their summer European sailings which is an AMAZING deal. Wish I could hop over easily this summer but not in the cards. :(

Gyms are fine on Carnival and all the ones I've used have been nice. I think Carnival is fun. I'm in my 20's, DH is in his 30's. I think your biggest issue may be your partners parents truthfully.

I guess I will have to call Carnival and find out about what they have to say about the rates. Thanks!

There are a lot of things to do during sea days. There's cheezy activities, games, trivia, pool side movies, dancing, comedy shows, meetings for LGBT, and more.

Thanks!

You'll have to get on a travel website and really start comparing itineraries and times you want to go so I'm not going to delve too much into that.

Carnival is not Cunard. Not by a long shot. If his parents are used to Cunard, and the last time YOU cruised was in the early 2000's, you might want to take a step up from Carnival. I would say a suite on Carnival but all that gets you is a bigger room, so forget that. Try Princess or Celebrity or Holland America for a more casual line that is still "up there" a bit. Even Royal Caribbean is going to be a step up. If it's just you and your partner and you want a fun cruise for not a lot of money, go Carnival and check it out. I would just hate to have his parents dragging on you guys if they're severely disappointed.

Sadly, I don't think I can afford Princess or Royal Caribbean or anything like that as the cruises that I've looked at were much more expensive. I believe that they'll be fine on Carnival though . Thank you very much!

Never been on anything but Carnival but I always have fun. I would be worried about your partners parents having fun. Also during June, July and first half of August, children will be out of school, so will have more children on board than at other times. I am not in the room very much, but did have a cove balcony on my most recent cruise and loved it. They have many things to do on board, you can do them all, some, or just relax, people watch and talk to new friends which is what I do !! Good luck :)

Curious about your screen name. Are you in the airline industry? If so, the airline (interline) rate is usually a better deal than the military rate. Check it out if you qualify.

About Carnival being fun: Yes, they are. They may be a budget cruise line, but you'll still have fun and laugh a lot (sometimes for the wrong reasons) :o

Curious about your screen name. Are you in the airline industry? If so, the airline (interline) rate is usually a better deal than the military rate. Check it out if you qualify.

About Carnival being fun: Yes, they are. They may be a budget cruise line, but you'll still have fun and laugh a lot (sometimes for the wrong reasons) :o

I am :cool: and usually the interline rates aren't all they're cracked up to be.

I am :cool: and usually the interline rates aren't all they're cracked up to be.

There was a time when the interline rate and the military rate were comparable and usually a much better deal. These days, Carnival has scaled back the military rate, making it higher than the interline rate and more restrictive.

With that said, I still find that the interline rate on Carnival beats any other rate, and that's what I normally booked under.

There was a time when the interline rate and the military rate were comparable and usually a much better deal. These days, Carnival has scaled back the military rate, making it higher than the interline rate and more restrictive.

With that said, I still find that the interline rate on Carnival beats any other rate, and that's what I normally booked under.

I will absolutely check them out the if you say they beat it all. Thanks!

I would probably suggest sailing the newest ship, the Breeze, out of Miami,(all the newest bells & whistles) or Freedom in FLL, nice decor, September are better rates, fewer kids also. You can get an 8 day on either. :) You also can book spa rooms which are nice and get the full spa experience.

Happy Sailing,

I would probably suggest sailing the newest ship, the Breeze, out of Miami,(all the newest bells & whistles) or Freedom in FLL, nice decor, September are better rates, fewer kids also. You can get an 8 day on either. :) You also can book spa rooms which are nice and get the full spa experience.

Happy Sailing,

I do like the sound of that... Lol thanks!

Well basically here's my dilema. I need a good vacation with me and my partner and thought what about a cruise! So I have been looking at rates and have came to the conclusion that Carnival was the winner. So I have a few questions:

Since you have cruised Carnival before, you should go to their website and sign up for the VIFP Club. They went as far back as 1994 for my husband and I. You get points for each night cruised, and get rewards for each level that you reach.

I would recommend going in September when there are fewer kids. Keep in mind though that September is a peak month in hurricane season, so be flexible in case of any itinerary changes. I'd say try Carnival's newest ship, the Breeze from Miami. They have an 8 day itinerary to Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba, and Curacao. I'm booked on that one and can't wait. The gyms are awesome with new equipment- treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals, weight machines, free weights, and they also have spinning and yoga classes for an extra charge. And YES, you will have fun! :D

I too was going to suggest he check interline rates. They're so hit or miss though. I booked interline for my last cruise. The price was much cheaper than early saver, especially since I was solo and paid 200% of the cruise price. On the cruise before that, I booked ES. It was only $20 more than interline and I'd be able to get obc after final payment if the price dropped. I guess it really depends on the sailing and when you go. There have been some cruises I've inquired about and there were no interline rates available.

I would recommend going in September when there are fewer kids. Keep in mind though that September is a peak month in hurricane season, so be flexible in case of any itinerary changes. I'd say try Carnival's newest ship, the Breeze from Miami. They have an 8 day itinerary to Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba, and Curacao. I'm booked on that one and can't wait. The gyms are awesome with new equipment- treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals, weight machines, free weights, and they also have spinning and yoga classes for an extra charge. And YES, you will have fun! :D

I too was going to suggest he check interline rates. They're so hit or miss though. I booked interline for my last cruise. The price was much cheaper than early saver, especially since I was solo and paid 200% of the cruise price. On the cruise before that, I booked ES. It was only $20 more than interline and I'd be able to get obc after final payment if the price dropped. I guess it really depends on the sailing and when you go. There have been some cruises I've inquired about and there were no interline rates available.

Yay!!! We want this to be our next adventure, can't wait for your review!!!:):):)

Thanks a lot! I think I've narrowed it down to either the Breeze one on September 28 or the Valor out of San Juan on June 2... The Valor is a lot cheaper, but Breeze is newer and longer. Decisions decisions. Haha.

Yay!!! We want this to be our next adventure, can't wait for your review!!!:):):)

I'll try not to disappoint you! ;)

Thanks a lot! I think I've narrowed it down to either the Breeze one on September 28 or the Valor out of San Juan on June 2... The Valor is a lot cheaper, but Breeze is newer and longer. Decisions decisions. Haha.

I did the Valor from San Juan in February. AWESOME itinerary. My review continues to get bumped up with comments and it's also in my signature, so check it out when you have some time. However, I'll be on the 9/28 sailing of the Breeze. We have an awesome roll call going and I'm looking forward to having an absolute blast on this one. It would be great if you decide to join us! :D

I'll try not to disappoint you! ;)

I did the Valor from San Juan in February. AWESOME itinerary. My review continues to get bumped up with comments and it's also in my signature, so check it out when you have some time. However, I'll be on the 9/28 sailing of the Breeze. We have an awesome roll call going and I'm looking forward to having an absolute blast on this one. It would be great if you decide to join us! :D

I hate waiting to book and deciding so I booked both!! Oceanview on the Valor and Balcony on the Breeze!

I hate waiting to book and deciding so I booked both!! Oceanview on the Valor and Balcony on the Breeze!

AWESOME!!!!!!

Come on over to the roll call. And look up Carnival Breeze September 28 on the social networking page. We have 45 members there. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Archived