Walking on glacier, how stable?

cruisinlawn

My senior parents (late 70's) are considering the dog sled tour we have booked. I know the vendor supplies 'glacier boots' but am curious as to how much that helps walking on a glacier. We would be there to help them along but I certainly don't want us to slipping around. Thanks for any input. :)

You have the wrong idea. Glacier ice is not slippery, glare ice. It is more like concrete. IF you think about, there wouldn't be any tours offered, IF people were falling all over. All they will have to do, is walk slower and enjoy the look. They won't have to go far off the helicopter, if they don't want to.

While not glare ice, it still is a bit slippery IMO. On our helicopter glacier landing, while we were walking around, a GUIDE who stays stays on the glacier all day, slipped and fell. He hit his head hard enough that they had to helicopter him off the glacier right away.

The boots do help, but if your parents have balance problems on level land, I would not send them on this tour. Just my opinion...

DaveOKC

I am a senior citizen although not in my 70's ..... yet. I am very careful what I choose to do and how to do it. I have much climbing and hiking experience and still make each decision very carefully since I usffered from a very bad leg injury (not on ice) a few years ago.

Although most people have no problems and some elder folks don't even get off the helicopters, it is still very important that each situation be judged for the benefit of the individuals concerned.

Yes, generally speaking the colder the air temperature is, the less slippery the ice MAY be, but if the sun is out or has been out and there is some surface melting, the ice of the glaciers can be slippery.

One of the worst falls I've even had was on the parking lot of a Grocery store in Anchorage when the situation was much slippery than it appeared to be. Made a complete fool of myself and was very embarrassed but only ended up bruised.

One of the worst falls I've even had was on the parking lot of a Grocery store in Anchorage when the situation was much slippery than it appeared to be. Made a complete fool of myself and was very embarrassed but only ended up bruised.

Yes, the ice in those parking lots is bad.:eek:

As for glaciers, it just depends on their ability. I agree that in sunny warmer conditions, the ice can get slippery. So, it may pay to be on the safe side.

Yes, the ice in those parking lots is bad.:eek:

As for glaciers, it just depends on their ability. I agree that in sunny warmer conditions, the ice can get slippery. So, it may pay to be on the safe side.

As I had been driving all over town with no issues I was surprised that walking on that ice was so difficult. Of course I'd hoped no one saw me fall, but people did and came to help.

So embarrassed!

As I had been driving all over town with no issues I was surprised that walking on that ice was so difficult. Of course I'd hoped no one saw me fall, but people did and came to help.

So embarrassed!

That's the worst thing about it-it sneaks up on you....I know a guy who fell in his driveway moving the trash!

Falling on ice is now a major source of injury here in the winter.

One of my close relatives fell down walking into a Carr's Grocery in the area that gets wet and sloppy by the doors. So embarrassed!

Broke her arm in 2 places. So embarassed she drove herself home.

At the time was was a fit and fine skier with tons and tons of hiking experience.

We don't need a glacier to fall down!

We spend more time in grocery stores in any case and may be challenging the odds.

I managed to snap a photo of my uncle - late 60's at the time - on the glacier halfway to falling on his butt. Great action shot! He wasn't hurt and took it in good humor. And he had no balance issues or anything. One wrong step and down he went.

I did a glacier tour shortly after fracturing my ankle and tearing ligments, and while there was a small amount of slip to the ice, the crampons really did help. I think I was also extra cautious.

If your parents are going to take it very slowly and not feel rushed, it's probably ok. It takes a few minutes to get used to walking in the crampons if you're a bit skittish about falling.

We did the glacier hike helicopter tour out of Skagway and they give you boots with crampons which really dig into the ice, but like another poster mentioned, the ice is rock hard in most places and covered in dirt, pebbles, etc which add to your stability. They also gave us hiking sticks so that you can have 3 points on the ground at all times. We didn't have any issues - approach it carefully and they'll do fine IMO.

You have the wrong idea. Glacier ice is not slippery

While not glare ice, it still is a bit slippery IMO. On our helicopter glacier landing, while we were walking around, a GUIDE who stays on the glacier all day, slipped and fell. He hit his head hard enough that they had to helicopter him off the glacier right away.

The boots do help, but if your parents have balance problems on level land, I would not send them on this tour. Just my opinion...

DaveOKC

These two posts are evidence that one ought to cross check with others' personal experience(s) before presuming the accuracy of the information being provided by one poster's personal assumption -- Especially when one's safety is a concern.

Archived