Where to stay in Paris

doglover214

Which area is the best to stay in in Paris?

We would like a 4 or 5 star hotel for less than $400 per night. We will be there for 3 nights.

There have been a lot of posts re this same question in just the past month with a lot of info given...please read through some of these pages and you will find lots of info here.

Which area is the best to stay in in Paris?

We would like a 4 or 5 star hotel for less than $400 per night. We will be there for 3 nights.

Please give us the dates you will be there. Rates can vary wildly depending on the days you book.

We will be there July 16-19.

OK. I did a quick look at venere dot com. I think it's better to use for Europe than some other sites. For their 5 star (remember, everyone has a different opinion of what is 5 star), there were really only two hotels that met your "under $400/night" requirement. There are a good number of 4 stars. I would look at this site, then cross-reference it with TripAdvisor. I find the ratings at TripAdvisor to be rather skewed toward the middle of the road places. TA tends to be more about experience; Forbes and AAA and other ratings are more about facilities and amenities (I know that from going through the Forbes rating evaluation twice). I think you are thinking of something in the St. Regis/Waldorf Astoria/Ritz Carlton type of hotel, correct?

Something in the 1st Arrondissement may be the best for you. If you don't care about location, you could get something with more stars at a lessor price in the La Defense area.

There's Paris, and there's La Defense (sterile beyond belief). If you're going to be there for three nights, I think you will hate it.

that's why I said "if you don't care about location" :) If you're doing Hilton, it's the only choice anymore. But, yeah, it's sterile. Had to be there for a conference once. But, if you don't mind taking the metro to get to the center in order to save some money...

OK. I'll put in for the one hotel that I stayed in that is now listed as 4-5 star. My husband's company paid for it, so I never knew the price. It was a Sofitel when I stayed there, but it is now a Renaissance. It's in a fantastic residential neighborhood in the 16th, but there is a Metro at the end of the block and is a 10 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower. It is now called the Renaissance Hotel Paris Le Parc Trocadero. Marriott just did a major renovation - the photos on the Marriott website look pretty nice. The prices for when you are there are in the $350/night range. The standard rooms are small, but nicely decorated. The area was pleasant enough to walk around at any time of day/night.

Take a look at a map and see where it is. It's definitely not in the usual tourist location, but it was very pleasant.

Archived