First Dreamliner Commercial Flight

some interesting cruise news

dreamliners have finally been cleared to fly, thoms first scheduled long haul flights to start with cancun on july 8th....dreamliner will be used on some short haul flights before this date to train staff....so some of us may get lucky:cool:

interesting to read that leisure group (voyages of discovery & swan hellenic) have a new chief of operations (patrick ryan formerly of island cruises) heads up...thoms:p

some news on uk airports manchester airport has been voted the best in the UK in a poll...gatwick was second (surprised it wasn’t last!:confused:) heathrow fifth and aberdeen last (fifteenth)

dreamliners have finally been cleared to fly, thoms first scheduled long haul flights to start with cancun on july 8th....dreamliner will be used on some short haul flights before this date to train staff....so some of us may get lucky:cool:

interesting to read that leisure group (voyages of discovery & swan hellenic) have a new chief of operations (patrick ryan formerly of island cruises) heads up...thoms:p

some news on uk airports manchester airport has been voted the best in the UK in a poll...gatwick was second (surprised it wasn’t last!:confused:) heathrow fifth and aberdeen last (fifteenth)

I can't believe Manchester came first.:confused:

Every time we flew from there we were delayed, sometimes not by much but still.:( We once waited two hours to get our cases off the plane.

Now we just fly from Newcastle.......too old and grumpy to make the trip over the Pennines.;)

I can't believe Manchester came first.:confused:

Every time we flew from there we were delayed, sometimes not by much but still.:( We once waited two hours to get our cases off the plane.

Now we just fly from Newcastle.......too old and grumpy to make the trip over the Pennines.;)

Manchester has improved considerably over the past couple of years! It did used to be terrible - old-fashioned, queues were horrendous and yes, waiting for your luggage took longer than the actual flight!

They've had a huge refurb, so now everything is airside. Security is now really quick and a much better space and overall service is really quite good (for an airport anyway), especially compared to Dalaman! :D.

• 1 month later...

We've been watching a Thomson Dreamliner today ....presumably practising landings and take offs from Newquay airport which is close to where we live. It looks a very graceful aeroplane, large and not very noisy at all which surprised me. :)

We've been watching a Thomson Dreamliner today ....presumably practising landings and take offs from Newquay airport which is close to where we live. It looks a very graceful aeroplane, large and not very noisy at all which surprised me. :)

wow! what a fantastic sight that must be....wonder why newquay tho? is it a quiet airport (must have a fairly long runway?) or maybe the crew want to go surfing after:cool:

still hoping that we might be flying on it to caribbean at christmas:cool::cool::cool:

Yes it was a military airport (RAF St Mawgan) ...then military and civilian...now civilian although the military do use it now and again.

It was used by the American Navy for years and, I believe, has one of the longest runways in Europe, but the Americans pulled out 3 or 4 years ago and the County Council bought it. It flourished for a while with national, and a few international, flights with Flybe and Ryannair...then Ryannair pulled out a year or so ago and now Flybe is scaling down their flights.... but recently Easyjet has come on the scene, after pulling out from Gatwick, and starting flights from Newquay to Southend

Some of the local travel agents charter planes to Madeira a couple of times a year and this year a couple to Turkey, and Italy......but we have seen Easyjet planes quite often circling round and descending and then ascending again and now the Thomson Dreamliner, so perhaps they use it as a training runway. It is a quiet airport (thankfully as we live less than 3 miles away!!)

Well yes Linda.....but we can't actually see the runway and we're not sure how they do it....on Saturday they kept coming in to land (i.e. descending really low) but we never heard the reverse throttle so not sure if they actually touch down....then a few minutes later they are coming in to land again!!

Then yesterday we just saw them ascending, turning and then a few minutes later they're ascending again....perhaps someone can explain ?????:confused:

Our 3rd August flight to Palma is on a Dreamliner....the giveaway was that it is 10 seats wide on the seat pre book screen!!!

Well yes Linda.....but we can't actually see the runway and we're not sure how they do it....on Saturday they kept coming in to land (i.e. descending really low) but we never heard the reverse throttle so not sure if they actually touch down....then a few minutes later they are coming in to land again!!

Then yesterday we just saw them ascending, turning and then a few minutes later they're ascending again....perhaps someone can explain ?????:confused:

It's called "circuits and bumps" and is used to familiarise pilots with the aircraft during landing and take-off. They go through the normal landing procedure until all the wheels are on the runway, and then they immediately put the engines on full power and promptly take off again.

Our 3rd August flight to Palma is on a Dreamliner....the giveaway was that it is 10 seats wide on the seat pre book screen!!!

whoo hoo!!! lucky...how lucky (thumbup) oh how I so wish it was me.....cant wait to hear all about this....can you take some pics :cool::cool:

Thanks for that Terry...one day they do East to West....then next day West to East...have tried to take photos but not successful because of position of the sun! Good looking plane tho' with quite swept back wings....:)

Sent from my ST21i using Forums mobile app

We are in Cornwall at the moment with plans to go to the Falcon at St Mawgan and Pheasant at Newlyn East. They are not far from the airport at Newquay so we may be lucky enough to see it. Wondering how long it is going to be around though.

whoo hoo!!! lucky...how lucky (thumbup) oh how I so wish it was me.....cant wait to hear all about this....can you take some pics :cool::cool:

I will, just got to convince the OH I can get a new compact camera, I think my old Nikon D40 DSLR may be too big to take. My current compact is a Canon Ixus 105, not great if light is anything less than perfect.

We are in Cornwall at the moment with plans to go to the Falcon at St Mawgan and Pheasant at Newlyn East. They are not far from the airport at Newquay so we may be lucky enough to see it. Wondering how long it is going to be around though.

Haven't seen/heard it today so perhaps they've finished .....I'm sure you will see it if it's around....resplendent in it's Thomson livery !!:)

Good looking plane tho' with quite swept back wings....:)

yep its a great livery..... really nice looking aircraft

I have been following the thoms 787's on flightradar24 and have noticed that g tuia & g tuib have been spotted at Cardiff, Manchester, Prestwick and Shannon (and Newquay) in the last few days

g tuib appears to be called Alfie??

We landed at Doncaster (Robin Hood Airport) yesterday and the Dreamliner was parked there.The captain pointed it out to us - he said it was the only one in the UK.Robin Hood Airport was formerly RAF Finningley- I used to go to the airshows there -the home of the Vulcan Delta Ladies in the 50's- and currently the Vulcan Museum- the longest runway in the UK?Flopsy

We landed at Doncaster (Robin Hood Airport) yesterday and the Dreamliner was parked there.The captain pointed it out to us - he said it was the only one in the UK.Robin Hood Airport was formerly RAF Finningley- I used to go to the airshows there -the home of the Vulcan Delta Ladies in the 50's- and currently the Vulcan Museum- the longest runway in the UK?Flopsy

Hi Flopsy , Years ago it was the longest but over the years other airports like Manchester and Gatwick have extended beyond Doncasters runway .

I think they still hold the title as the widest runway at 60M which was for the vulcans that flew from there :).

Heres a few airports .. http://www.ukaccs.info/profiles.htm

Dreamliner was at Doncaster Robin Hood yesterday lunchtime /early afternoon, circling round and practising approaches etc as at Newquay. Not seen it today though! The airport is ex RAF and has one of the longest runways in the country, as well as one of the quietest, so probably ideal for training

Archived