Rome or Venice?

cruiselove1

You are right - I was really thinking mother-in-law or dog sitter when I used that unfortunate term. I do find it extraordinary that any manager would not allow a couple of days off without pay --- a pretty good way of creating a happy and much more productive employee. Of course, this really is not my business, so my apologies if I offended.

Naw, no offense taken here and I probably should have said nothing about it. Price we pay for a public forum I suppose. I agree that, with a decent employer / employee relationship, there would be a way to do this. I think the OP was also looking at budgets.

By the way, I might be more inclined to confront my boss than my mother-in-law:). Now, this will get me into trouble, no doubt.

Since your ship is overnighting in Venice, that will give you time to see the main part of Venice and walk around some, ride the vaporetto, etc.

So your extra day should indeed be Rome. Fly into Rome the day early, either book a private tour or take the Hop On/Hop Off bus for a quick overview of Rome. You aren't going to do anything in-depth, but just a quick overview of the main sights.

My first visit to Rome, my husband and I had only about 4-5 hours in the city. We skipped the Vatican totally because I'm not Catholic and had no real interest in it. Second visit by cruiseship, decided to at least see it for historical value, and hit it for a Papal Audience. It was truly amazing!

Only you can determine what you want to see/do. There are some good walking tours, or a driver like Rome Cabs to drive around to the Forum, Colliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc. "GOOGLE" is your friend.

And this website for Rome and Venice might give you more ideas.

http://europeforvisitors.com/

Have a great trip!

I have been on numerous cruises, all to the Caribbean and Hawaii, and am excited to be going on my first cruise to the Greek Isles in August. It is a 12 day embarking in Rome, and disembarking in Venice. I am limited in time and resources, so I would like to know which port to stay an extra day in, as I am only limited to one extra day. Should I choose Rome or Venice???? Thank you.

Venice!

I'd say Rome just to get in a day earlier and since you have an overnight in Venice. My last Med cruise our first plane was delayed and we had to run to make our connection. We made that flight but our luggage did not :(. I was happy to have the extra time in Barcelona - both for the lovely city and the time it took to get our luggage!

Both are fantastic cities, but they each have a very different feel to them. Enjoy Italy!

It's kinda hard to tell your boss, that. I wouldn't have a job when I get back. Plus, I don't have the extra money to spend to add another 2 additional days. Wish I did!!! I am a single income household, that doesn't need to be telling her boss to suck it up, if you can understand that.

Some people live in different worlds than the rest of us I guess.:rolleyes:

I see the poster has seen the light now.

I would like to go to Rome and be able to spend 3 days to see the sites. I spent 1 1/2 days in Venice and hat was enough for me. It was very hot in the end of August and I found it smelly and rather dirty. The canal was very cool and I did like the city but I actually liked other cities on my cruise better.

• 2 weeks later...
I generally fly in the morning of embarkation, that is not a concern to me. However, I do realize that with such a long flight, I will have to fly in the day before to arrive for day of embarkation. I just mainly need advice for deciding between Rome and Venice for the extra day. I wish I could do both, but do not have enough vacation time off from work. I feel totally out of my element going on a Mediterranian cruise. I could do the Caribbean blindfolded, I have done so many of them, and have loved them all!!! It is just time to try something new. Thanks to all for the advice!!!!

We felt the same way. We did a cruise out of Rome last summer. We arrived with one night and day in Rome. Because the ships usually leave at 7 p.m. you can really have a day and a half if you go to Rome. We had a driver and we were able to do so much in one day! Keep in mind that seeing the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc., tons of places to eat, get a gelato, all the little shops and streets can be done at night. You can do more than you think if you have someone scooting you from one spot to the next. We had a wonderful time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I would choose Rome for most of the reasons already listed....and in general I just love Rome, much more so than Venice!

To address a point some people have made: Rome really isn't that spread out. As a city, yes it is big -- but most of the sites tourists want to see are located in the fairly small area known as the Centro Storico (Historic Center).

If you take the Vatican out of the mix, you can walk anywhere in this area from a well-located central hotel in 15-20 minutes, assuming you are not mobility limited.

Even a cab to the Vatican is 10 euro or so that's well spent.

To maximize your time in Rome, do come over to the Italy ports of call boards and find out about doing things like pre-reserving your tickets in advance, which will save you a lot of time and allow you to do more in your day.

And don't overlook the morning of your departure. There's no need to get to the port at first light. Most ships don't depart until 7pm or later. Use the morning in Rome to see some more of the sights.

Thank you all sooooooo much for the helpful advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I am so very excited about my upcoming journey, and even though it will somewhat "Greek" to me :cool:, and out of my comfort zone, there are so many resources available to utilize...including this wonderful forum!!! I am counting down the days (95, to be exact) until I set sail on my glorious 12 day Greek Isle cruise. I am sure that I will be calling on y'all again before then. Thanks again!!!!

Since your ship is overnighting in Venice, that will give you time to see the main part of Venice and walk around some, ride the vaporetto, etc.

So your extra day should indeed be Rome. Fly into Rome the day early, either book a private tour or take the Hop On/Hop Off bus for a quick overview of Rome. You aren't going to do anything in-depth, but just a quick overview of the main sights.

My first visit to Rome, my husband and I had only about 4-5 hours in the city. We skipped the Vatican totally because I'm not Catholic and had no real interest in it. Second visit by cruiseship, decided to at least see it for historical value, and hit it for a Papal Audience. It was truly amazing!

Only you can determine what you want to see/do. There are some good walking tours, or a driver like Rome Cabs to drive around to the Forum, Colliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc. "GOOGLE" is your friend.

And this website for Rome and Venice might give you more ideas.

http://europeforvisitors.com/

Have a great trip!

This is very good and useful information. Thank you for sharing!!!

This is very good and useful information. Thank you for sharing!!!

You're very welcome. Be sure to have a Plan "B" for when Plan "A" falls apart. It happened frequently. Elevator out of order, traffic accident, pier where we docked at the opposite end of the hydrofoil pier (long walk), pouring rain, banks all closed for a holiday, etc.

Take half the clothes you think you need, and twice the money. Europe is indeed very expensive. And I always take about $500 US just as an emergency stash.

I've been to Europe 8 times, and it never disappoints. Have a great cruise!

I just left both cities last week. Rome was already so crowded with tourists it was difficult to get near any of the sites. Venice was crowded but not nearly as much. I'd choose Venice for that reason alone.

I just left both cities last week. Rome was already so crowded with tourists it was difficult to get near any of the sites. Venice was crowded but not nearly as much. I'd choose Venice for that reason alone.

It may depend on the day. I was just in Venice for two days and Rome for five. I found Venice unbearably crowded (there were at least 5 large ships in port on both days); Rome was less so. I think Rome "absorbs" extra people better.

Archived