Jewel from San Juan

I have a few questions about our cruise (in June) from San Juan.

1. What is the earliest we can get on the ship?

2. How long does it take to "check in"? Can you go directly to your cabin?

3. What is the benefit to pre-paying gratuities? (yes this our first)

4. We got the transfer, but is it just as easy to get a cab?

Can't wait!!!

You should be able to check in between 11am and 11:30am, unless something unusual delays the clearance of the previous cruise (we plan to arrive around 10:45am. At that time, check in should be pretty fast, like within 30 minutes or so.

You won't have access to your cabin until 1 or 1:30pm, so your carryon luggage must remain with you until then. (we will eat an early lunch in the Windjammer buffet, before it gets too crazy there, and then find a nice lounger near the pool or in the solarium to wait)

There are really no benefits to prepaying versus having it added to your account onboard. Some like to have it paid in advance, so they don't have to budget for it when on the ship. Others don't want to tie up the money in advance, and like to pay onboard (we pay onboard because we like to use our onboard credit to pay for some of it) If you have My Time Dining, you MUST prepay your tips.

It is very easy to get a cab at the San Juan airport.

I have a few questions about our cruise (in June) from San Juan.

1. What is the earliest we can get on the ship? Around 11:30am to noon.

2. How long does it take to "check in"? Once they start letting people in the terminal, it does not take more than 15 minutes or so to check-in. Can you go directly to your cabin? Staterooms opened for us at 1:30pm.

3. What is the benefit to pre-paying gratuities? (yes this our first) Pre-paying is paid with your credit card at final payment time. Letting them charge you automatically while on board can use on board credit if you have that. Pre-paying is required for My Time Dining.

4. We got the transfer, but is it just as easy to get a cab? We always use a cab. The cost was around $25 plus $1 per bag. This was for 4 people in a minivan cab.

Can't wait!!!

See answers in RED above. Note that our experiences out of San Juan are based on several Adventure cruises and one Serenade cruise.

We cruised on Serenade out of San Juan this past March.

We got to the pier around 11:15 and walked right into the the terminal and checked in. We had to wait about 30 minutes before they started boarding the ship. The cabins were opened at 1:00. I Cancel the transfers and just grab a cab. Cabs are plentiful right outside the baggage claim area. Cab fares are set according to zones. I believe the rate from the airport to the pier is $24 plus $1 per bag. I'm not sure what you are paying for the transfers but my guess is is it's a lot more than a cab. Another downside to the transfer is the bus will sit at the airport until it's full. That can take an hour or more. Then when you get to the pier, everyone is hurrying off the bus to grab their luggage and get in the terminal. You'll be fighting with 50 other people. If you take a cab, you'll only be dealing with a few people, probably your group only.

They actually charge you $1. a bag? That's the first time I have heard of this.

Been a long time since we have sailed from SJ

Yes, the $1 per bag is part of their posted rate structure. It's been that way at least since 2009.

we always do the transfer and have never had to wait an hour or even near that long at the airport. When you take a transfer you dont have to mess with your luggage at the terminal they take it from you at the bus there is no fighting with 50 people so please dont let that message earlier scare you! We wouldnt do it any other way!!

They actually charge you $1. a bag? That's the first time I have heard of this.

Been a long time since we have sailed from SJ

It's a dollar per bag for the taxi and two dollars power bay for the porters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Archived