Yankee Stadium

cottagemama

We are staying at the New York Marriott Marquis. I purchased tickets for my husband as a birthday gift to see the Yankees. We are not familiar with the city and it is my husbands first visit. What is the best way to get to Yankee Stadium and what about the return to the hotel after as there will be tons of folks leaving the ball game at the same time. thanks for any help that locals can give us

Best way is the Subway, going you could get a cab at the hotel. Cabs coming back are scarce, there is one designated location for yellow cabs (metered taxi) at Yankee Stadium but a lot of Gypsy Cabs (illegal black car street pick ups) will try to get you while you are waiting.

Subway is simple, walk to 47th Street 6th Ave to the 47th-50th Street Rockefeller Station and take the Bronx bound D train to 161st Street Yankee Stadium. Don't worry, the D train will stop at 161st even though local stop it stops there before any home game.

You can do the same reverse back (follow the crowds).

You could arrange car service with Dial 7 or Carmel for pickup at both locations, that cost I don't know and you would need to designate a pickup spot at Yankee Stadium.

Subway is $2.50 each way per person.

Cab is per cab up to 4 people:

Initial Fare $2.50

Add. Metered Fare $24.34

NY State Tax Surcharge $0.50

Tip (20%) $5.47

Estimated Taxi Fare $32.81

thank you so much . the subway it shall be. As we are not locals and have never taken a subway, are they well marked and are there folks to ask for help if we need it.? How long does the trip take?

I dont travel in the city that much but get tokens for both to and from when you first get to the token booth saves time on the way back.

I dont travel in the city that much but get tokens for both to and from when you first get to the token booth saves time on the way back.

Boy its been a long time since you road the subway. There is no more tokens. You use a metro card. Plastic you either buy from a machine or a ticket agent. The machines take credit cards. You buy 1 metro card for up to four people(as they now charge a $1 for the metro card which can be refilled and used for a couple of years). so if you are four people you will buy one metro card and fill it with $20.00 of fares for both ways travel.

You will find the subway to Yankee Stadium filled with people going to the game in very good humor both ways even when the Yankees lose(rarely).

Get there early enough at least 2 hours before the game so you have sometime to go to monument park....to see tributes to Yankee greats!

As the game nears the end they line up subway trains to take people back into Manhattan.

Forget Yankee Stadium.:eek: Take it from me--there's more fun to be had at Citi Field.:p:D

(If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. And I'll even throw in some subway tokens... As Brooklyn Dodgers fans used to say, Wait till next year!!!:D:D:D)

"Put it in the books!"

Thank you. Thank you. Where is Monument Park? I don't watch sports...my husband is the big Yankee fan but he doesn't know about all this yet...it's a birthday suprise

its in centerfield between the two bullpens. they have signs about how to get there inside the stadium. its worth the walk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Park_%28Yankee_Stadium%29

Boy its been a long time since you road the subway. There is no more tokens. You use a metro card. Plastic you either buy from a machine or a ticket agent. The machines take credit cards. You buy 1 metro card for up to four people(as they now charge a $1 for the metro card which can be refilled and used for a couple of years). so if you are four people you will buy one metro card and fill it with $20.00 of fares for both ways travel.

You will find the subway to Yankee Stadium filled with people going to the game in very good humor both ways even when the Yankees lose(rarely).

Get there early enough at least 2 hours before the game so you have sometime to go to monument park....to see tributes to Yankee greats!

As the game nears the end they line up subway trains to take people back into Manhattan.

after I posted I knew this was coming YES it's been awhile:D

its in centerfield between the two bullpens. they have signs about how to get there inside the stadium. its worth the walk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Park_%28Yankee_Stadium%29

Last time we were at Stade Yankee (2011), you had to line up to get a tour of Monument Park before the ballpark opened. Not sure if it's still like that.

Last time we were at Stade Yankee (2011), you had to line up to get a tour of Monument Park before the ballpark opened. Not sure if it's still like that.

not the last time I went but you never know...it depends on how crowded they anticipate it to be...

as I said get there at least two hours before the game if you want to go...

If its your first time there I would go. I remember my first game...what I remember most was how green the field was just as Billy Crystal describes...remember we only had black and white TV's...and they still didn't use tokens...because the fare was a dime.

Forget Yankee Stadium.:eek: Take it from me--there's more fun to be had at Citi Field.:p

(If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. And I'll even throw in some subway tokens... As Brooklyn Dodgers fans used to say, Wait till next year!!!:D:D)

"Put it in the books!"

I have a diehard Mets fan in my household. He suffers greatly.:p

Archived