Inquiring Philatelists Want to Know

I'm a philatelist, and I like to add to my collection when traveling. It's a fun experience to check out foreign posts offices AND pick up beautiful and informative stamps. England is one of the greatest places for stamps and collectors. I assume, since Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of the United Kingdom, that they all use the same stamps. Is this correct? Or do each of these regions have their own?

It looks like Guernsey has it's own postage and their online samples look great.

Any thoughts on Ireland? How are the stamps?

I saw on the news yesterday that there is a new issue just out. I think it has different views of the queens portrait. Can't be certain as I didn't really pay much attention.

The main shop for stamp collectors, Stanley Gibbons, used to be in The Strand. I have no idea if it is still there, but you could Google it.

Having just reread my post, I am sorry it is all a bit negative.

I saw on the news yesterday that there is a new issue just out. I think it has different views of the queens portrait. Can't be certain as I didn't really pay much attention.

The main shop for stamp collectors, Stanley Gibbons, used to be in The Strand. I have no idea if it is still there, but you could Google it.

Having just reread my post, I am sorry it is all a bit negative.

Stanley Gibbons is still there. The main Post Office round the corner in Trafalgar Square (well, just off the square itself, but that's the name of the branch) used to have Philately counters, but no longer - I think they still stock new editions in the shop, though. The new issue is of various portraits of the Queen over her life, due out at the end of the month, I think.

Here's a link from the Royal Mail, who issue stamps, of all current issues.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/stamps-collectibles-gifts/stamp-range

Thanks for the replies and wonderful links. I have been to the PO at Trafalgar Square and don't recall if they had a philatelic window at that time, but the folks behind the counter were super helpful. I plan to return there for sure, since I'm not sure we'll have time to get to the shop mentioned.

And the QEII portrait set is gorgeous. Looking forward to adding it to my collection.

Thanks for the replies and wonderful links. I have been to the PO at Trafalgar Square and don't recall if they had a philatelic window at that time, but the folks behind the counter were super helpful. I plan to return there for sure, since I'm not sure we'll have time to get to the shop mentioned.

And the QEII portrait set is gorgeous. Looking forward to adding it to my collection.

Please try to find time to visit Stanley Gibbons if you have an interest in philately - "best stamp shop in the world" and advisors to the Royal Collection, and only about 5 minutes walk from Trafalgar Sq :)

http://www.stanleygibbons.com/stanleygibbons/view/content/sg_page_store_london_visiting

Archived