Breakaway Rotterdam to Southampton April 28th - 29th

peteukmcr

Just arrived back home after our 1 night sailing on Breakaway from Rotterdam to Southampton.

I know 1 night doesn't give too much opportunity to experience all Breakaway had to offer, but for someone who has never sailed NCL before like us, it gave a great taster for exclusive RCI cruisers.

In short, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The ship is fantastic and "The Waterfront" concept is a winner in my book, especially when sailing in warmer climates.

We ate in O'Seehans (lunch), Cagney's steakhouse (dinner) and Savor main dining room (breakfast). Enjoyed all 3 meals.

We stayed in a category MB 'mini suite' on deck 10. Really nice although the balcony is very narrow and was the only negative point.

The bathroom and especially the shower was fantastic with its 6 adjustable massage jets, very large glass cubicle, double width sink with 2 faucets. The coffee machine was also a great touch.

The sheer number and variety of bars and dining venues is staggering and we will definitely be considering NCL in our future plans.

Here's a few photos

8692829291_3c0757b23e_b.jpg

Thank you for posting pictures. If you turned your chair facing straight out, would your knees have hit? I notice the balcony pics all seem to have the chairs facing sideways...being 5'10", it looks like my knees would hit...but that shower sure would make up for it! I also appreciate the pics of the waterfront complex. It looks inviting.

coka

I really hope they rectify the balcony issue with the Getaway. I can't believe how small they are on the Breakaway. What were they thinking?!
I'd be tempted to go for an M6 balcony cabin with the extra large balcony on deck 8.

Thank you for posting pictures. If you turned your chair facing straight out, would your knees have hit? I notice the balcony pics all seem to have the chairs facing sideways...being 5'10", it looks like my knees would hit...but that shower sure would make up for it! I also appreciate the pics of the waterfront complex. It looks inviting.

coka

Can't honestly remember if my chair facing out, it was a little chilly once we set sail from Rotterdam!

BTW just realised I'd missed 25+ photos from the album, they should be there now if you play the slideshow again.

Just arrived back home after our 1 night sailing on Breakaway from Rotterdam to Southampton.

I know 1 night doesn't give too much opportunity to experience all Breakaway had to offer, but for someone who has never sailed NCL before like us, it gave a great taster for exclusive RCI cruisers.

In short, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The ship is fantastic and "The Waterfront" concept is a winner in my book, especially when sailing in warmer climates.

We ate in O'Seehans (lunch), Cagney's steakhouse (dinner) and Savor main dining room (breakfast). Enjoyed all 3 meals.

We stayed in a category MB 'mini suite' on deck 10. Really nice although the balcony is very narrow and was the only negative point.

The bathroom and especially the shower was fantastic with its 6 adjustable massage jets, very large glass cubicle, double width sink with 2 faucets. The coffee machine was also a great touch.

The sheer number and variety of bars and dining venues is staggering and we will definitely be considering NCL in our future plans.

Here's a few photos

8692829291_3c0757b23e_b.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

wonderful pics!!!!!

what is the picture that shows loungers in a set of 3 in water?

Also- where the clamshell loungers were and the padded 2 person loungers- is that an adult only area?

Thanks in advance!!

There were only 2 of the clamshell loungers that we could see and they were in Spice H2O on the port side just past the waterfall feature. Not an adult only area as far as I could see.

Great pics. Would love to hear your feedback when comparing RCCO to ncl. This looks like a beautiful ship. Very tempted. :D
My initial comparisons are:

Cabin facilities - better on NCL including coffee maker, seperate shower gel & shampoo, fabulous shower, liquid soap, large bathroom. Better on RCI - larger balcony as standard.

Dining - far more choice on NCL for complimentary food (e.g. Uptown Grill, O'Sheehans, where you are served at the table). Food is subjective, but I found it good. I can't speak for the dining room for dinner, but I did like the 3 complimentary venues, because smaller and seperate make them feel more of a speciality venue.

Bars/Lounges - far more choice on NCL and "The Waterfront" is a winner in my book. Prices appear less expensive than RCI.

Internet - Pricing far cheaper than RCI even taking into consideration the $3.95 set up fee. Only 25c per minute whereas RCI is 65c per minute.

Photos - cheaper than RCI at $5 for a 8x10.

Entertainment - can't really comment as didn't have the opportunity to see the headliner show due to time constraints.

Pool decks - Although plenty of different activities (rock climbing, water slides, climbing assault course, the design seems jumbled up. On RCI the pool areas are better designed and welcoming IMHO. This may only be due to the design of a ship destined for home port of New York and the possibility of chillier climate in the winter months.

Thank you so much for the photos!

Was there a blow dryer in the room and if so how was it, do I need to bring mine?

I can confirm that there was a blow dryer in the room attached the the side of the cabinet under the desk. However, as you can see from the photos I don't really have a need for a dryer so I can't comment on how good it was!:D

One downside I suppose and this is due to cabin size, there is no chair at the desk area, nor coffee table in front of the couch. However, there is an upholstered cube that can be used as a stool under the desk that has a wooden top that could be lifted off and double as a table, and the top is removable for additonal storage. Quite a good design.

I've just remembered a great new option which is one step beyond what RCI provide with their touch screens around the ship.

As well as providing information on what's going on, being stateroom finder, and giving the details of dining venues and bars/lounges, with maps etc, you can actually make reservations for the speciality restaurants on the screen.

You pick the venue, confirm your cabin number, choose the time and number of people, swipe your key card in a slot and you're all set! No need to visit the restaurant, guest relations or use the phone. Great innovation IMHO.

Archived