Considering Celebrity

CruizinCupcake

We have been on many cruises (26) but have never tried Celebrity. We are looking at the Constellation for 2014 Russia. How does Celebrity differ from say Princess or RCCL (our Favorites)? On the Constellation is there any specialty dining? Cost? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Teresa

How it differs depends on where you are when you look, some folks may say the food is better other may say it is too fancy, Some may not like the laid back part, there are plenty of threads about why celebrity browsing thru those as well as reading reviews of the Constellation from people will help the Celebrity web site is a good place to start to look at the ship and dining options.

We have been on many cruises (26) but have never tried Celebrity. We are looking at the Constellation for 2014 Russia. How does Celebrity differ from say Princess or RCCL (our Favorites)? On the Constellation is there any specialty dining? Cost? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Teresa

I've only sailes Princess once, but I found it to be closer to Celebrity than I expected--attitudes are similar. The big difference to me was the food--

Princess was comfort food very well executed (like the restaurant planned by Ruth Reichl's friends in her memoir), while Celebrity is more ambitious.

The downside is that they don't always nail the dishes they are attempting. But for me anyway the variety justifies the occasional raised eyebrow.

As to RCI I found it a floating theme park. Celebrity--within the limits of the resources available--tries to give you a much more personalized experience.

As to specialty restaurants, I haven't eaten at the new Solstice-class inspired eateries, but the original specialty restaurants on the Millennium class are spectacular. Prices are apparently creeping up, but I would still eat in them at least once a voyage.

I've only sailes Princess once, but I found it to be closer to Celebrity than I expected--attitudes are similar. The big difference to me was the food--

Princess was comfort food very well executed (like the restaurant planned by Ruth Reichl's friends in her memoir), while Celebrity is more ambitious.

The downside is that they don't always nail the dishes they are attempting. But for me anyway the variety justifies the occasional raised eyebrow.

As to RCI I found it a floating theme park. Celebrity--within the limits of the resources available--tries to give you a much more personalized experience.

As to specialty restaurants, I haven't eaten at the new Solstice-class inspired eateries, but the original specialty restaurants on the Millennium class are spectacular. Prices are apparently creeping up, but I would still eat in them at least once a voyage.

I have not sailed Princess, but have sailed RCCL. RCCL has more bells and whistles for a younger group & Celebrity fits my DH and I quite well, as we are extremely active and in our 60's. However, we don't look it or act it according to others,:cool: The crew are wonderful and their service a notch above. But really, the only way you will know for sure is if you give them a try. This will be our third cruise with Celebrity in Europe! I just love the way I'm treated, dinner time, returning from tours, etc. I also don't require a lot of papering, but I do like my private and quiet time. I agree with this poster in many ways!!!!

Thanks,

Teresa

Well Teresa, this input is coming from an Elite Princess cruiser. We recently sailed in Dec. On Ruby then in March on Celebrity Reflection. The differences with Celebrity vary depending on what you expect from a ship and crew. This was our first trip with Celebrity. My friends told me not to turn to the dark side..lol. We are very glad we did. The food is much better and the ship is much more laid back. The staff and officers are 100% guest oriented. I think we saw the Captain every night mingling with the passengers. We saw the Captain on Ruby a lot also but not like this guy, he was everywhere. The restaurant staff, bartenders and room stewards all went above and beyond.We have booked Silhouette next year over Ruby, sister ship to Reflection. We're debating on doing B2B on Constellation instead of Silhouette. We'll see what happens. The Constellation has some specialty Restaurants. Check the Celebrity site for exact number and pricing.Can't speak to RCCL. Try Connie you won't be dissapointed.

I agree with all of the above comments, but I would recommend reading reviews of Connie vs the S Class ships. Connie is one of the older ships in the X fleet, and if you are expecting shiny and new, you might be disappointed. That said, I have never been on Connie, so I'm NOT saying this from personal experience, just what I have read on the boards. I did cruise Connie's sister ship, Millie, after my first X cruise on Solstice. I was a bit disappointed in the ship, although the cruise experience was outstanding. Just after being on an S class ship, the Millie seemed a bit old and worn in comparison. We did Reflection this year, and will probably always choose an S class ship in the future, but that is just my personal preference.

Well Teresa, this input is coming from an Elite Princess cruiser. We recently sailed in Dec. On Ruby then in March on Celebrity Reflection. The differences with Celebrity vary depending on what you expect from a ship and crew. This was our first trip with Celebrity. My friends told me not to turn to the dark side..lol. We are very glad we did. The food is much better and the ship is much more laid back. The staff and officers are 100% guest oriented. I think we saw the Captain every night mingling with the passengers. We saw the Captain on Ruby a lot also but not like this guy, he was everywhere. The restaurant staff, bartenders and room stewards all went above and beyond.We have booked Silhouette next year over Ruby, sister ship to Reflection. We're debating on doing B2B on Constellation instead of Silhouette. We'll see what happens. The Constellation has some specialty Restaurants. Check the Celebrity site for exact number and pricing.Can't speak to RCCL. Try Connie you won't be dissapointed.

Agree with everything you said!!! We have sailed all three: Princess, RCCL and Celebrity. We like Celebrity for most venues. The closest ship to the Connie is the Radiance Class on RCCL. Celebrity is much more elegant, but the ship layout and size is similar. Everyone has different preferences, but I would usually take Celebrity!!!

Agree with everything you said!!! We have sailed all three: Princess, RCCL and Celebrity. We like Celebrity for most venues. The closest ship to the Connie is the Radiance Class on RCCL. Celebrity is much more elegant, but the ship layout and size is similar. Everyone has different preferences, but I would usually take Celebrity!!!

This has really made the decision easy, the Radiance class is one of our favorite. Thanks to everyone for all the information. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Thanks again

Teresa

Archived