Free Laundry

spindrift

Oceania is set up to be an ala carte cruise line. This way people do not pay for things they are not going to use. What is important to me may not be important to you. I would do almost anything not to enter a laundry room on a ship. I have no idea what happens to people when they are in the laundry room. They become angry, possessive, cruel people who will take your laundry out before it is dry, etc. IMO, it is the most distasteful part of the ship.

I agree that what is important to you is not necessarily what is important to me. But I really do NOT want other people doing my laundry. So I prefer to do it myself.

I have heard the stories about war in the laundry room but have never encountered it myself. Have I just been lucky?

I am not a confrontational person (maybe in writing but never in person). But if I met one of those Dragon Ladies who decided that if you don't sit in the laundry room until your laundry is done you may not remove your laundry from the machine, I'd probably belt them from here to Sunday.

What are they accomplishing? If you are 1-2 minutes late, you cannot remove the laundry? Who does this help?

Mind you, I've just read about these people ... I haven't encountered them.

True, there are nightmare stories. If you encounter the dragon ladies, call security. The people that *I* have met in the laundry rooms have been friendly and helpful.

For the record, I do not sit there waiting for my wash to be done ... but I make sure to get back in time to remove my wash when it is done. Just as I do in my NYC coop. For those dragon ladies who insist you stay there -- just where do they suggest everyone sit? There sure isn't enough room for everyone -- although the "O" ships have more space (and more laundry rooms) than the "R" ships do.

Some people just should be keelhauled.

Mura

Stand in line, or not, to do laundry on my cruise? No way. The laundry people on the ships do a lovely job and I am happy to put this line item in my cruise budget. It is a tiny part of the cruise budget. Since it is already in the budget, it seems "free" to me.

On a normal cruise it will cost you almost $50 to $60 a load ( time and effort+ taking several hours waiting a good chunk of your day).... :o

Thats penny wise but pound foolish taking time you paid for enjoyment to do work that was easily don by others for much less.:cool:

On our last cruise we loved the 20 items for $20. Although, sometimes I had a hard time coming up with 20 items. I hand wash most of my stuff and hang to dry. Was afraid it would come back a size 2 which would never do! But it was great for jeans, briefs, some shirts etc. Left just a bit for me to do. And it was so well done. Folded with no wrinkles at all.

Also, the very best time to do laundry is during tea and happy hour. I never wait in line unless its just a few minutes. I also leave and come back. Never a problem.

But I have to say that if you want to know what is going on on the ship, get thee to the laundry room pronto! You will hear stories there that you just don't get at the dinner table!

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On our Baltic trip this last month, we used the 20 for $20 and it was wonderful. For some reason even tho I went to the laundry room at the times when there should be little traffic, it was really backed up. One lady said she had never sailed O, but she read when to come to the laundry room. Errrggg :rolleyes: She was a precious lady. Loved meeting her and would not have had it not been to the laundry room. Ha Ha

Archived