LIVE from the Mariner of the Seas Barcelona to Dubai

Ricardo -

I LOVE THIS!!!

I'm sorry I'm late to the "party" of your review - still dealing with post-surgical medical issues...gah! My life has become one giant doctor's appointment!!!!

BUT - your review/trip has been the sunshine in the dark!!!! What a trip! A trip of a lifetime, for sure...I still think you should have brought me along; we would have made a good team!

Keep posting more - I can't wait! :)

Tuesday, May 28 - Malé, Maldives

Good morning from what is, I believe, the most awaited stop for many followers! We are LIVE from the Maldives! I know many of you want pictures, but before that I will have to bore you with some words on the flight and arrival here.

IMG_5902_zpsd0436c77.jpg

DXB Concourse A - Cool, huh?

Our second flight was at 3:25am, and the Dubai Airport looked like a mall on a saturday afternoon with lots of people arriving from all over the world and heading everywhere too. Our Emirates' 777-300 wasn't completely full though, i'd say it "had lots of people". We delayed our departure by a bit (lots of planes taking off) but at least I got three seats just for me. Got to shower, got to eat well (at a Jack Daniels Bar & Grill at DXB), and then three seats...live was good! I ended up watching take-off, which usually doesn't happen as I'm already asleep, and got to see the beautiful route the Captain took around Downtown Dubai and Burj Khalifa. The city was deserted at almost 4am, as I could see empty streets with just their lights accompanied by the skyscrapers' lights. It was time to go to bed.

IMG_5915_zpseff6b215.jpg

Horrible picture at take-off.

IMG_5918_zpsef2fdfc9.jpg

Almost there!

I spent most of the three and half hour flight sleeping, probably around three hours, and was only woken up when the Captain switched the seatbelts signs on and they didn't see mine because I had my jacked on. It was already bright out and I took some time to fill our immigration forms, but quickly headed back to sleep and woke up when we started the approach. It was beautiful; we could see many small islands, reefs, sand banks, different colors of water, and have an idea of the huge atolls that make up this country. Landing was different, as Ibrahim Nasir Airport is pretty much the whole island so it looked like the huge triple seven was landing in the water, side by side with fishing boats.

The airport is pretty simple, just like any other place of this kind like Punta Cana and Bali, but they are working on a brand new, very nice terminal to be opened next year. Immigration was very quick, as well as baggage claim (Brazil has a thing or two to learn here regarding efficient baggage services). Our only "problem" was with customs, as there is a looong list of forbidden items from the obvious to some we didn't know. As a result, they are "keeping" some souvenirs from Egypt (statues) because of their "image"...don't ask me. My dad left his passport info and they gave him a receipt...we'll see how this goes on the way out. Some people were angry about it, but if you're visiting their country you have to respect their "guidelines", even if they make no sense to you...well that's my opinion, anyways. The guy was waiting for us with an "Anantara" sign, and quickly took our luggage carts from us and guided us to the speed boat. It's funny to go right out of the airport and find docks, rather than roads and cars. They handed us cold towels, bottles of water, and said the ride would take around half an hour...then we left to a surreal world.

IMG_5927_zpsc9009028.jpg

IMG_5939_zps99afab04.jpg

Landing in Male.

We are tired and I know you are also probably tired of me (be honest, heheh), so before I write about the hotel and my impressions (give me more than 24hs) I'll leave you with what you really want. Enjoy!

Those are very familiar looking photos! You asked how my son liked living in the Maldives, the places in your photos he loved. Your experience with customs he hated. Being as this is a Muslim country he couldn't get beef or dairy and for a 21 year old he liked a beer after a long hot day of flying. They had to get a permit and go back to the main airport where there were large shipping containers to get their alcohol then drag it back on the little boat, then a taxi to their apartment. There were no theatres or entertainment, so they made up for that on their over nights at the resorts! Did you take a float plane to the resort? The pilots fly in bare feet!

Well, it was a great experience for a 21 year old and the first time living away from home. But it was work and not a vacation. It opened his eyes to the good and bad, one day he caught a guy trying to break into his apartment through the balcony. Other days he was staying at the "W" resort on the Islands. It did gain him the coveted 1000 hours of flight time to afford him an airline job, he has been at one of Canada's largest airlines for 5 years now, so as much as he missed home I would say it was worth it in the end.

Those are very familiar looking photos! You asked how my son liked living in the Maldives, the places in your photos he loved. Your experience with customs he hated. Being as this is a Muslim country he couldn't get beef or dairy and for a 21 year old he liked a beer after a long hot day of flying. They had to get a permit and go back to the main airport where there were large shipping containers to get their alcohol then drag it back on the little boat, then a taxi to their apartment. There were no theatres or entertainment, so they made up for that on their over nights at the resorts! Did you take a float plane to the resort? The pilots fly in bare feet!

I can imagine how it tough it is to get used to it all...like every change, actually, though this sea might help a bit ;)

I'm glad he was able to do it all so he could pursue his dream career...that's always awesome to hear about. It's also amazing how he was willing to go halfway across the globe to a small and conservative country in the middle of the Indian Ocean to pursue his dream...congrats! The thief story did surprise me, they look so strict that I wouldn't expect such thing! Maybe the guy was "only" looking for some of the beer he had :eek::p It's great he could somehow enjoy the hotels; sorry for the question but did he get "free" stays because he flew their planes? I was wondering, since you mentioned it a couple times...just out of curiosity :o and no, our hotel is fairly close to MLE so it was a 25 minute speed-boat ride.

Ricardo -

I LOVE THIS!!!

I'm sorry I'm late to the "party" of your review - still dealing with post-surgical medical issues...gah! My life has become one giant doctor's appointment!!!!

BUT - your review/trip has been the sunshine in the dark!!!! What a trip! A trip of a lifetime, for sure...I still think you should have brought me along; we would have made a good team!

Keep posting more - I can't wait!

Thank you! It's such an honor to read that the epic review superstar of CC liked this! You're right, it would have been great...I can only imagine the dangerous combination of you and my parents on a trip; we'd laugh all day :p I actually don't remember where and why, but I mentioned your alarm at the museum in Florence...I think my mom was about to do something on her phone that would make a terrible noise somewhere public...maybe the Egyptian Museum? :eek::p

I hope you feel better each new day...and for now enjoy the Maldivian pictures. It also is a good place to recover from surgeries :rolleyes:;):D

I can imagine how it tough it is to get used to it all...like every change, actually, though this sea might help a bit ;)

sorry for the question but did he get "free" stays because he flew their planes? I was wondering, since you mentioned it a couple times...just out of curiosity :o and no, our hotel is fairly close to MLE so it was a 25 minute speed-boat ride.

I'm sure the company had to pay for the resorts but the pilots don't, it's part of the job. It does seam odd how these guys fly half way around the world to build time, but Maldivian Air Taxi's equipment and pilots are supplied by a Canadian company call Ken Borek Air, the red and black planes are Borek colours. This is quite a common place for guys to build time, incidentally the twin otters that they fly are now built about 15 minutes from our house.

One more question, what resort are you at so I can tell him? Thanks

Edited by krev

I haven't forgotten about you guys, I promise! I'm still writting about our stay here (be prepared to read a lot) and sorting the pictures while we wait for the transfer to the airport...already :(

I doubt I'll be done before we have to leave, so will try to post when I get back in Dubai (later today for US time).

Stay tuned!

How ironic, I think this is the most I've been absent here and I'm not even at sea! Sorry...the past couple days have been either busy or I was tired or both! Slowly catching up, so I hope I can post all I have thus far until my boarding time in some two hours...we'll see!

Wednesday, May 29 - Anantara Dhigu, Maldives

I'm not leaving this place. That's it, decided. They must need a naval engineering to build and maintain all the boats they use, right? I'm not sure which word best describes this place, but I think it's pretty accurate to say I have never been so constantly astonished like these past two days. Not only the nature around the hotel but the service, the food, everything. We are staying at Anantara Dhigu, one of the four resorts Anantara has out here. It is our second time with them, the first time was last year. I found their Qasr al Sarab Desert Resort when looking for places to stay in Abu Dhabi and, even though it was two hours away into the desert, we ended up staying there for a night. After the amazing experience at their "oasis" in the middle of the Liwa Desert, we decided to check out their place in the Maldives. It was actually the most cost effective hotel in the region, as we knew what to expect. For instance, more "known" brands like Hilton offered similar (but not quite the same) products but with wither higher prices or already booked hotels, other all-inclusive hotels were (obviously) more expensive and, at least the one we checked, further so the plane transfer fees would cost like an additional night. We stayed with Anantara Dhigu since it was my "original" choice anyways...and man, we're happy.

DSCN6380_zps6bf32a7b.jpg

See? I'm happy! Hahahah

As I meantioned their representative was waiting for us at the airport and quickly took all our luggage from our hands to make sure our experience would start right away. The boat was waiting for us right outside the terminal and we left immediately. They said it would take around 30, 35 minutes to get to Dhigu, but I think it took less. We were welcomed by a team of four people, I think, who wanted to make sure we had a good journey, and then headed to the reception while they took our bags from the boat to the suite. The check-in made seated at a couch in the small open air reception gives you a hint of how you'll enjoy the place, as well as the tea & cold towels do regarding the amazing service.

DSCN6443_zps53f4b3e6.jpg

We obviously couldn't wait to check our room - an over water suite - as we knew it would take the concept of beach resort to a whole new level...did it? You judge.

DSCN6193_zps048c8000.jpg

Main room area.

IMG_5967_zpsc6040005.jpg

View from the shower. Ugly, I know.

If there is still doubt, yes it did. Dhigu has both "beach villas" and "over water suites"; it was our first time here and we knew we wouldn't stay many days, so we went for the extra expense. It was a actually larger than I expected, with a seating area by the mini-bar, "main" room area, and bathroom; all with views to the balcony and the sea. The suite has a Lavazza espresso machine that is "all inclusive" together with bottles of water and hot tea, but also has drinks, sodas, chocolate, and even a separate wine refrigerator, all for a cost. The main room has the bed with "office" table, a couch that serves as extra bed (but much bigger than the usual sofa-beds), and the closets. My favorite part of the room was the bathroom, which is ironic as it was the non air conditioned part. Why no ac? Well, it is pretty much a semi-balcony with an open shower that has window views, a bathtub next to the sliding glass doors, and the toilet with a glass floor to the water...cool! It also has a door that goes to the balcony, but it had (together with the window next to it and the shower) half opaque to maintain some privacy. It was actually interesting to be "worried" about it being so open at first but then get used to it. Imagine if someone sees you! I don't mind the stingrays though, as they have been "swimming by" all the time...heheh.

IMG_5954_zps7f48cc80.jpg

You'd be amazed how many stingrays and sharks "pass by"...heheh

One may think a place like this is boring, that there is "barely anything to do", like I admit I once thought. To be honest I think even one week might not be enough; besides the complimentary kayak and snorkels, the aquatic center offers diving courses (for the certification), diving trips further from here, fishing trips, jetskis, parasailing, sailing, and pretty much everything else related (which I probably forgot to write). You can also do a boat tour around the Atoll or visit the capital Malé to, for example, take a Thai/Maldivian cooking class. If you wish to stay away from "everything and everyone", three of the Anantara hotels (Dhigu, Veli, and Naladhu) are together, and you can use all of their facilities and restaurants except for the last one "reserved" for its guest only...more on that later. My point is that life can be very busy, if you wish, around here...or it can just be you, your lychee iced tea, and the infinity pool overlooking the ocean...I like this too.

IMG_5989_zps38b698bb.jpg

If there is anything I have to complain is some of the approaches to prices around here. I know maintenance and the logistics must be pretty costly for any hotel in the middle of the Indian Ocean; that being said, I was expecting to see...elaborate...prices in the dining venues. We booked pretty close to our stay (in my opinion) and I don't remember having an option for a meal plan or something like that, but apparently it does exist (and I'm checking it out for our next visit, already "under consideration"). Our reservation only had breakfast, and it was an amazing buffet with pretty much everything from fresh fruit juices to "daily special" pastries and even dragonfruit...I love dragonfruit. For lunch and dinner, though, it could get pretty significant for one's vacation budget, so keep that in mind. Generally a meal for two can easily reach $100 for lunch (if with appetizers, desert, drinks, not just a burger) and dinner will for sure be over $150. Now, food is great with the best ingredients (imported and locally grown at the island's garden) and amazing service, but I don't understand the restaurants' need to charge for the exact same bottle of water that is free in the room (and when I say it, I mean they place one by each bed and one by each sink every time they clean the room, not one free bottle on arrival). Also, a glass of iced tea (highly) priced just one or two bucks less than a jar, which tended to fluctuate, just doesn't seem right. It obviously wasn't enough to make our last stop (together, that is) on this month long trip any bad, but it might keep past and potential (you guys reading) customers away...I would advice them to review these "details".

Now, still talking about food and service I'd like to give you some of the highlights for us. First, the Thai Restaurant at Veli was an amazing experience; I had the meal set for 2 with my mom and all plates reminded us of our time in Bangkok a couple years ago...plus it is located over a reef so you dine watching the hundreds of fish (and occasionally stingrays and a shark) swimming around. Another great experience was on our second night, when they had planned a sunset cocktail at the beach and it was one of those moments you know you're somewhere special. They had to change to the beach on the other side because of the wind, but still had all decoration and stands set (some in the water with floating tables) with a bar, snacks from the chef, coconut water...really nice. After our "beach cocktail" we headed to the bbq they had been marketing about. We attended a similar bbq when we were at Anantara's Desert Resort...actually we decided to go to this because of that day's giant prawns. If they had prawns that big in the middle of the desert, imagine by the beach! Heheh We weren't let down; the buffet was amazing from the small, elaborate appetizers to the items you chose to grill at the time (lamb kofta, beef, tuna, squid, prawns, crab, and two or three I don't remember). They even had tables set at the beach, but we thought there would be too many bugs out there...there were some "inside" too as the restaurant is open. Oh, and before I forget they (obviously) had people handing cold towels because it was hot...since then we started joking everytime we were hot "someone could jump out of the water with some cold towels" and silly comments like that...heheh. Well, I think this is pretty much it for the hotel; we loved it and can't wait to come back.

Some additional pictures as a apology gift for taking so long. :p

DSCN6447_zps92835a1f.jpg

How could I forget!? Meet Sebastian, our room's security guard. He lives under the stairs that went down to the sea. Heheh

DSCN6489_zps7d830b65.jpg

Beach cocktail...cool!

DSCN6502_zps0b56fff6.jpg

Example of the "chill", open decoration of the public areas.

DSCN6507_zps410a26ff.jpg

Thursday, May 30 - Anantara Dhigu, Maldives.

Today was a "farewell" day not only for us in the Maldives but between the three of us too. We all flew to Dubai later tonight but the parents headed to Istanbul for their "honeymoon" while I stayed in the UAE for two days. Check-out would normally be at noon but I knew our flight was at 11pm and, based on previous reviews on the hotel, I chose a booking option that had guaranteed check-out at 4pm with the possibility of a later time depending on occupancy. The front desk was great arranging us a 6pm allowance and then we cpuld just "chill" around until our scheduled boat at 7:45. With this and our early check-in at around 10am we paid two nights but enjoyed three days...and I was scared we would be sitting at the lobby for hours and hours (like I read many people have, probably on high season)...life was good!

Last night we talked with one of the managers during the cocktail and we mentioned their other resorts around and how we were already thinking about coming back; they had offered us to "upgrade" to their best, most exclusive resort just accross the water from "our island", but we didn't feel the extra money would be worth especially for our first stay and for a room that wasn't over-water. I can't lie I was't curious about the "famous" Anantara Naladhu, the one people can come use the "other" venues but "others" can't go use theirs...and so I mentioned it to the guy who promptly said we could go visit one of their rooms since there were some not in use. He added that many people stay at Dhigu for the first time, go visit Naladhu, and stay there the second time. Well, it was a cool idea to have a field trip to the "forbidden city/island of the Maldives" and get to see some other room options that could be worth considering for next time...I also enjoyed visiting other hotel rooms...I actually don't know why I have never been on a cabin crawl! Anyways, we visited a "beach villa" at Dhigu, which is a bit smaller but pretty similar to our room (except for the lack of water underneath and around) while we waited for the boat to Naladhu. Side note here, just at Dhigu you can make a huge difference on your expences by staying at a "sunrise beach villa" instead of, let's say a "sunset over-water". We actually thought prices for those weren't that bad considering you pretty much get everything the others do except the espresso machine and the over-water experience. I don't know, maybe pay the "extra" for a day on the over-water (and then I recommend the sunset side, which has more sun and better views) and stay the rest by the beach...you'll most likely use the main pool anyways.

DSCN6518_zpsaa89ca74.jpg

Arriving in Naladhu.

The other island...wow. It is exclusive, it is luxurious, and it is obviously expensive. Naladhu only has nineteen suites...sorry, villas...and they are either facing the beach and lagoon or the open sea with no beach. They do advertise a lot about the . It was probably so empty (well, they did offer us an upgrade, right?) that we got to see both sides. I actually liked the "ocean side" because it's pretty much over a reef (like a balcony) and has much more privacy. Plus, every ocean villa has a small cabana by the beach...so no worries. The public areas are fine, just smaller and more empty; there is a small front desk (decorated in colonial style all on the sand, even inside, which is cool), a small pool surrounded by trees and near the beach, a small gym (though they can use Dhigu's one), and a "beach chic" restaurant. The villas...ah, the villas. The room itself is not that larger than, let's say, ours (except for the walk in closet). It's all decorated in a more traditional (colonial as they say) style but wasn't that huge...off course because, like our own room, it emphasizes on outside space...A LOT. Its bathroom is huge...just to have an idea it has the "regular" double sink, toilet, rain shower, and tub PLUS another shower (?) isolated after a small "stone way" through a little pond, a sauna, and a pool! All facing the plants (for he beach side - boring) or the reef and open sea (see why I liked it better?). It is awesome.

DSCN6519_zpsfb9ff29f.jpg

Ocean Villa.

DSCN6525_zps60ffee54.jpg

Well...it was nearly time to go back to "reality", if Dubai can be called reality. I went snorkeling with my dad; we got our "complimentary" kits and went down our stairs (past Sebastian, who was obviously there...as always). While putting our apparatus my dad saw a water snake going around/through my feet...but only told me later (for obvious reasons - though she wasn't dangerous). I did see her after (and thought I was gonna die - imagine the irony!? After surviving the cobras in India!) but not around my feet...gladly. We went to the island near our room, through the very shallow waters with many fish, and it was awesome. I somehow knew it would be cool to go to the "deserted" island...and it really was because we found out they had lounge chairs and hammocks by the beach and even a bar with lonely bartender! It felt like "Lost" or one of those movies with people lost in an island...it was so chill we stayed there for a while. It's weird because people come and go, leave their snorkeling stuff or canoes by the beach and go explore the island before they leave...it makes my dad's words perfect sense, that Anantara Dhigu was like a cheaper way of having our own private island for a couple days...because you barely see those who you're sharing it with, anyways. We got ready, had something to eat, and left to the airport. Our Emirates flight to Dubai seemed extremely empty, and everything went fast and smoothly through check-in, immigration, etc. On a sidenote, we did get our statues from Egypt with no problem...and left beatiful Maldives. Will be back, hopefully.

DSCN6432_zps8ecdff75.jpg

IMG_5972_zps7db7c911.jpg

"I'm staying." heheh

I'm sure the company had to pay for the resorts but the pilots don't, it's part of the job. It does seam odd how these guys fly half way around the world to build time, but Maldivian Air Taxi's equipment and pilots are supplied by a Canadian company call Ken Borek Air, the red and black planes are Borek colours. This is quite a common place for guys to build time, incidentally the twin otters that they fly are now built about 15 minutes from our house.

One more question, what resort are you at so I can tell him? Thanks

That is interesting info! Thanks! I guess it was cool, then, to get to visit many of the different hotels. Not many people can do that, for sure. We stayed at the Anantara Dhigu, but he might not know it since it's "close" to Malé and doesn't use planes.

Rico: once again your pictures and experiences are awesome!

Just returned from short cruise on enchantment and attended the indy 500.

And it was a treat to go to india and the Maldives when I returned. ha!

I'm glad you had fun on your cruise and Indy...and got to the East in a matter of hours...hahah

How was the Enchantment? We really want to go on her for a weekend and welcome her to Florida...you know, just being a good neighbor. Heheh.

Thanks for still following me...almost over :) :(

Hello everyone, I am LIVE from Frankfurt! And I swear I will finish posting the last two days now! Have a great Sunday!

Friday, May 31 - Khasab, Oman

DSCN6757_zps983782cd.jpg

I had written that the flight looked empty, as not many people were checking-in (in fact, no one) and the gate was pretty calm. Well, it was packed! The Emirates' 777-300 had come from somewhere else (I think probably Colombo, Sri Lanka) and had Malé just as a stop. Boarding was quick and very hurried, as many people kept sleeping and the flight attendants tried to do it as quickly and quietly as possible. I had gotten a text message from the tour company with which I was supposed to go to Oman for the day saying that the weather was bad and the trip had to be cancelled. To be honest it felt somehow great, as I could actually have some sleep once I got to Dubai instead of going straight to Oman. I still decided to sleep the whole four hour flight...it was a very wise decision; I got another sms when we landed saying "never mind" and that pick-up was at 6:15. We landed at 2am but my dad had a delay with his tourist visa (they hadn't issued a multiple entry one, so he had to make a new one at the company's help-desk - good thing he did it with Arabian Adventures, they were the only company present before immigration). This whole "delay" took so long (around an hour) that the bags were transferred to the baggage center...another "delay" for me. In the end I said bye to the parents who continued their journey to Istanbul and got to the hotel past 4am. After some problems with the credit card (by now I knew it wasn't my day) I could get to the room just in time to shower and leave for my day tour. I was tired, very tired, but it was worth it.

I researched this day trip for a while; we wanted to do it last year but didn't have time (it also wouldn't be that easy for my dad since he has the Brazilian passport and is required to have a visa). When I found out I'd have two full days in Dubai (I didn't have much choice as I got the ticket with miles) I decided it was time to do it. After researching a lot, reading reviews on tripadvisor, and deciding which way I would go (there are two possible sides of the peninsula), I booked it with Arabian Horizons. They not only had good reviews on the side I had chosen, Khasab, but also were one of the few that had no minimum guests required...I could just book it for one and it was guaranteed. This was actually the last tour I figured out (remember, back in Barcelona?) and I somehow thought it was weird because they never gave much info besides a "confirmation" email and, obviously, taking the 100% deposit from my mom's card (their website wouldn't accept any other card in the world, just my mom's lol). I did send them an email the day before just to confirm and they promptly responded with the time and my hotel's name, that before the whole sms thing, so I was starting to "approve" them.

The morning of May's last day (can you believe it!?) I got down to the hotel's lobby and, shortly after grabbing a cappuccino "to go", met my driver. He was quiet, so quiet that I don't know his name, but really nice answering all my questions and helping with the immigration procedures back and forward. It was only me on the way there, but as you know I was tired so most of the time (driving through the desert and smaller Emirates) was spent napping. I only woke up near the border and then after crossing it (the whole process of leaving the UAE, entering Oman, and going through "customs" took less than twenty minutes) I enjoyed the beautiful 40 minute drive to Khasab, going up and down hills, winding through the coast, all with an impressive view. I got to the small dock and only a few people were on the dhow (boat); as I had read, several companies tend to "get together" when needed, and I think this was one of those days. We waited about an hour for the others to get here, but it was cool because most (or all) of them were foreigners living in Dubai...I had some nice chats during the day.

Now the fjords of Musandam...wow. I hadn't heard of this place before about about a year ago; now I see it is, in fact, pretty hidden from most tourists. Today was friday, the "saturday" around here because of prayer, so I was expecting it to be full of people. There were only three dhows on our side, and at least mine was full of "locals"...I'm guessing it isn't that known, then. Musandam is a Peninsula near the border between Oman and the UAE, very far from the country's capital. Its rock mountains, the fjords, separate the Indian Ocean from the Persian Gulf and make Khasab the Peninsula's closest city to Iran (there are ferries that cross back and fwd). It is often called "the Arab Norway" because of the similarities to the Norwegian Fjords...I could see them too. Besides the lack of snow, the mountains are huge and give this water a special color just like it happens in Norway. Let's say it's the same thing, desert version.

DSCN6751_zps9fee8b33.jpg

The tour was great; there are rugs and pillows all around the dhow so one can get comfy and enjoy the view. Rico here was very tired so it was great. Besides the transfer in and out (about three hours each way), the price of $136 includes the boat, snorkeling devices, towels, drinks (unlimited water, sodas, tea, and coffee), fruits, and lunch (fresh fish!). I thought it was great value. There are a couple "stops" next to fishing villages, but we never get off the boat. It is crazy to see how few people live this isolated (though they have constant access to khasab by speed boat)...it reminded me of Halong Bay in Vietnam. There are also two stops for swimming and snorkeling, but I only did it once because I don't know how but I forgot my shorts and had to do it in jeans lol. It would take too long to dry again for the second time so I decided to enjoy the breeze.

DSCN6742_zps98ff2203.jpg

DSCN6729_zps161207ce.jpg

The day very very "chill" and beautiful, I got to take a nap with the nice breeze, and had nice talks with a couple from South Africa who hate living in Dubai but love the surrounding areas (like Oman and Fujairah) and a Belgian pilot who flies for Etihad, UAE's national carrier. In my opinion that was as great as the visit itself...to meet locals...who knows if I'll be in the same situation one day!? We also got to see these guys...which was, no doubt, a favorite among everyone onboard!

DSCN6722_zpsc9203cf0.jpg

I got back to the hotel at 9pm, after almost 38 hours with no proper sleep. As much as I wanted to go out to eat or something like that I was incredibly dead and decided to stay in the room. I had even planned to pack and write/post this up till now, but ended up doing the bare minimum (shower and eat) before going to sleep.

DSCN6766_zpsdfddbeed.jpg

Saturday, June 1 - Dubai, United Arab Emirates

IMG_6026_zpsb25713d3.jpg

Terrible picture but view from room on the JW's 24th floor.

Well, my friends, this is my last day "out and about". I can hardly believe I started this exactly a month ago and could maintain it as well as get some followers, thanks! For those of you tired of me, you will have to endure just one more day or two...sorry heheh. So my flight to Frankfurt is scheduled to leave 1:30am (of June 2nd) so I'm supposed to leave the hotel at around 10pm only...I wake up at 10am, what to do? First of all, go check at he front desk if they can give me some extra time in the room...I need it to pack! I'm staying at the new JW Marriott Marquis in Downtown Dubai, the new tallest hotel in the world. I guess I got a good rate here because it just opened, just like happened to us at the Hyatt in Abu Dhabi last year. It has two towers (though I think one is not open yet), each with 70 something floors! It just opened some four months ago and it is looking fresh! One of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed for sure...and with a great service. It amazes me how much better hotels are (in all aspects) in the East...wow. The room is larger than the usual hotel room, probably because of the towers' different design. They gave me a late check-out at 3pm, which gave enough time to grab something to eat and pack (remember I had dropped one bag here after the cruise? So now I have to sort everything, laundry stuff, carry on "fragiles", etc).

DSCN6770_zps44a11740.jpg

DSCN6771_zps6311030c.jpg

I went to one of the many places they have here (unfortunately I could not try the cool Steakhouse on the 68th floor, the famous nighclub "Vault" on the 72nd, or the Michelin Chef restaurant "Rag Mahal"), a "boulangerie" type of place with fresh juices, pastries, paninis, and just about every French sweet available out there. It is a really cool place where you can seat and order à la carte or do it to go, at the market style counter. It was a bit pricy, as everything here in my opinion, but really good. I'm not a real fan of the huge breakfast like most Americans so I was fine with a caprese sandwich and a fresh orange juice, which was fine for me since I had planned on eating at Dubai Mall later today.

IMG_6028_zpsa0f9ce31.jpg

Panoramic elevator facing Tower B and other buildings.

Talking about Dubai Mall - we were there last year and didn't see half of it so I decided to spend my afternoon there. Showered, packed, checked-out, left the bags at the hotel, and headed to the mall with the hotels complimentary shuttle. The afternoon was pretty much walking around and prepared myself for the long flights ahead. I did some shopping at stores we don't have in the US (I had to, I was alone for a whole afternoon at the largest mall in the world!), had an AHmazing lunch for a surprisingly good price at Fauchon, and spent a lot of time at the bookstore they have here which I remembered was awesome and I didn't have enough time. I even got a "Dubai Architecture" book for my sister and a book by Dubai's Prime Minister (Sheikh Rashid) for me.

IMG_6037_zps1ae3c06e.jpg

To finish off I had some espresso while talking to my parents on Skype and watched the Fountains before leaving. Turns out I still couldn't see half of the mall, though I did visit some new hallways...it's gigantic! It was a great final day, though, and I even could take a shower at the JW's spa fitting room before heading to the airport!

IMG_6078_zpsd6baad69.jpg

Sunday, June 2 - Frankfurt, Germany

Why did I put Frankfurt? Well, I'm here for eight hours so I figured that makes it the day for me! My flight was pretty fast, actually, as I slept through it all. It was my first time at Dubai's Terminal 1, the non-Emirates one, and it is ok but can't compare to Terminal 3. The Lufthansa 747-400 was packed, and I decided to sleep to pass time faster. It worked, and we soon landed (the flight took some 6 hours). I was one of the first to leave as I was seating on row 28, the first one, and quickly headed to the other end of the airport, Concourse Z. After passport check, sky train, and security I finally got some breakfast and headed to the Lufthansa Lounge. It was crazy how the airport in general was empty when we arrived at 6am and now (almost 11) it is packed. The relatively new Senator Lounge at Concourse Z (one of the many LH has around FRA) is great; it has several rooms, some with tables, some with sofas, others with lounge chairs. Additionally, it has three bars (that I have seen so far), a smoking lounge, "phone booths", "sleeping room", and many shower cabins. I actually used one of those and they were great with a rain shower, toilet, sink with hair dryer, a bench, and a spot to place your carry-on. It was so great to shower...made me ready for the next leg, the longest (?). I board in about 2 hours and a half (already!? Time flew by, seriously) and then land in Orlando 6pm local time, some 10 hours later. I didn't even try to sleep because I will try to do so later today. Now, I'll go take a look around duty free (just a look) and grab some nice lunch before the flight; I saw an Italian and German restaurants near...a Schnitzel and cold beer would be great, wouldn't it.

See you in Florida for the final update, reflection, and more! Stay tuned!

WOW. All I can say is WOW. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed your journey. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. :)

What is your next trip going to be? I ask, because this would will be VERY hard to top!!!

Thanks again, Rico.

Rico, what a fantastic month you had and thanks for posting all the photos and your travel log. We went to the Mall in Dubai too and was totally blown away by it. Didn't see it all either. We flew to Frankfurt on that same Lufthansa 1.30am flight as you and was so tired by then that I slept all the way. That goodness for lay flat seats. We had to transfer to Amsterdam to catch the United flight back to Houston and we had 5 minutes to spare. Those are huge airports and it takes a while to get from one gate to another, especially when it's from the furthest terminal.

Please post again live from your next trip. It was great to have met you and I'll be following your travels.

Jo

Rico, you had me hooked when you shared the security measures taken by the Mariner as she traversed the Gulf of Aden. I couldn't wait for your next installment to see if you made it to safety! When you were in the Taj Mahal and environs, we could practical feel the stifling heat just reading your vivid descriptions and imagery. We couldn't wait until we, I mean, you made it to the Maldives, because we, I mean, you really needed a few days to chill out and relax.

Thank you for sharing your past month with us on a trip of a lifetime.

And btw, did you have any delicious pastries at Fauchon?

Monday, June 3 - Orlando, Florida

IMG_6085_zps15f0d956.jpg

Lunch in Frankfurt :cool:

I'm actually starting to write this on Sunday, June 2, as the Lufthansa A340-600 makes its way over the Atlantic MCO bound. The end of every trip, short or long, is a mix of feelings for me; I guess we all get to the point we miss our home, our car, our bed, friends, family, everything. At the same time there is a feeling that I could have done more while out, used my time more wisely, similar to the feeling I have talked about at the end of the cruise. For those of you following since the very beginning back on May 1st, can you believe it's over!? Well, I can't say "it feels like yesterday" because it actually feels like a long time since I landed in Barcelona, no kidding, but I guess this is a sign we have, indeed, done a lot but without forgetting to relax.

IMG_6094_zpsf293e3a8.jpg

Florida bound!

I am LIVE from home! Kinda boring, I guess, but it feels great. Also, don't think this update will be that horrible just because it is the end, I have some last few adventures to write about. The 10ish hour flight was ok; I had trouble sleeping in the first couple hours (kept only taking very short naps) but then slept for some straight five hours towards the end...it was great to pass time. How did I know I was back home? Well, the weather looked beautiful as we approached land exactly over Cape Canaveral (I could see the empty Port Canaveral, as all ships had already left). We started our descend into MCO and the first officer mentioned some "scattered thunderstorms"...that sounds like everyday in Florida. Landing gear down, "flight attentands prepare for landing", and I see a curtain of rain back around Downtown Orlando. To be honest I "only" saw water, a lot of it, and thought we could touchdown when it was still pouring, given we were very close and very low already (I'd say under 1500ft), but out of nowhere they accelerated, pointed up, and retracted the landing gear...??? This was a couple minutes among everyone on the plane...???...then the captain announced the thunderstorm was right above MCO and that we'd have to wait. We ended up zigzagging around Central Florida skies until they started it all over again and landed about half an hour behind schedule. Landing was a bit tough, in my opinion, as there seemed to be strong winds coming from one side of the runway, and they had to "force the plane down", as I say. Immigration was fairly fast, but the officer sent me straight to customs' secondary inspection, given my "countries visited on this trip" list; I guess they found it odd and maybe suspicious. They were all very nice, though, which is why I prefer MCO (as opposed to larger airports like MIA, for example). After telling the other officer the whole story why we went on a cruise to Egypt, about all our itinerary, the low prices for the cruise, and even showing him my model of the Mariner, they could see I'm "just" a tourist returning home. I can't complain about any of the officers, they were really nice and just doing their job. Like one of them, the last one, said while handing my documents "Welcome back, Ricardo, welcome home".

This was our first repositioning cruise, as in starting and ending in different continents, and I feel like part of this "new" sense of a longer time is also due to that. In the past month we have covered seven time zones, four continents, and been in nine countries, five of those new ones for us. We have traveled by planes, from the relatively small A321 to a Jumbo; we have also taken cars, buses, dhows, donkeys, and obviously a ship. In the past thirty days we have seen camels, elephants, sharks, cobras, dolphins, and stingrays; we have ventured through politically and economically unstable countries, as well as some of the poorest and richest populations out there. We have gone from some of the most densely populated cities in the world to deserted islands, been through the world's most famous canal, sailed through one of the few places with modern piracy activity, and even jumped from a plane over the Persian Gulf. Finally, in the past month we have visited some of the most amazing wonders of this world and I'm glad I could somehow take each one of you along. It was a lot of work, as many of you mentioned, but it feels great to have given this sort of entertainment to your every day. After all, this was the original purpose based on my own appreciation for others that have previously done it. Some of you asked when and where is the next adventure; I have no idea, but always have many ideas going on. For instance, there might be a short (10 day) Hawaiian adventure for xmas with a cruise involved, but nothing reserved yet. As of long, exotic trips this one might have been the last before my adulthood; chances are my summers will be much shorter from now on and such trips won't be possible, though a cruise similar to the one we did (without the land portion) should be fine. All I can say is Stay Tuned! to a next trip, whenever it is to be.

This is where it started, packing at home, and at the moment I'm doing something similar...

IMG_6100_zps8f3ca2c3.jpg

By far the best part of the trip! Yeah, go with that.

I guess it's time to get back to reality, not as in school (because classes start in August only) but going through mail, bills, and all that good stuff besides preparing for our new adventure. Another trip? No, moving houses in about five weeks! We just wish the Maldives were closer so we could go back after carrying so many boxes.

IMG_6098_zps7135fb0d.jpg